GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I am having difficulty getting the top rhs shelter off even with a workshop manual. The only video I found on YouTube was Italian and he cheated and cut to a shot of it having been removed.

Does anyone have an online video that might show this?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi guys. I am having difficulty getting the top rhs shelter off even with a workshop manual. The only video I found on YouTube was Italian and he cheated and cut to a shot of it having been removed.

Thanks in advance

Bump. No one has any videos to share or point me in the right direction? Maybe Covid or maybe me but is there anyone else in this room?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I'm here! I just haven't done it yet. Do you have Fred Harmon's videos? I pretty sure they would show everything you need. I just got my 2017 last August and haven't done much with it yet, but I did recently acquire the 2012-2017 update DVDs.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks in advance

Checkout a Youtube video for an air filter replacement on an FB6. He goes through step by step on how to remove the shelter.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@bobvtx. Did you mean to post something quoting my initial comments as nothing came through..

·
Administrator
4,111 Posts
Fred's videos show how to do this. But it's really not difficult. Remove the trim just like you did on the left side, properly mark the bolts as you remove them, remove your center locking 'gizmo', and take your time. But can't stress enough what a life-saver Fred's vids can be.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
@bobvtx. Did you mean to post something quoting my initial comments as nothing came through..

His response was put inside the quote of your message. If you expand his comments and scroll down you'll see it.

Here it is:

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Fred's videos show how to do this. But it's really not difficult. Remove the trim just like you did on the left side, properly mark the bolts as you remove them, remove your center locking 'gizmo', and take your time. But can't stress enough what a life-saver Fred's vids can be.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't agree more.
Hi guys. I realized I messed up with the title of this. It should have been AIRBAG not ABS. Does anyone know of a video that is for the airbag model?

As an aside I have Fred's videos but after a recent house move I cannot find them.

Apologize for wasting people's time with the non airbag model, I assume it's a different process to release the shelter as I cannot shift it with the airbag in place.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
4,111 Posts
Yep, probably makes a difference 👍 How about posting on the tech board? Don't think the 2012 board is read much. Good luck!
ps I can move it over if you'd like......

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, probably makes a difference How about posting on the tech board? Don't think the 2012 board is read much. Good luck!
ps I can move it over if you'd like......
Yes pls I would appreciate you moving it over for me. Cheers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks but this is a non airbag model and I have an airbag and it looks very different to either having a cubby or a cup holder.

Thanks in advance

Bump...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you have followed the steps listed in the shop manual, the shelter should be loose. I remember the fastener #13 required some fiddling to release. Where specifically are you having trouble?

·
Vendor
21,574 Posts
There are two clips on the lower section of the panel that snap into place, and you have pull fairly hard to get them to release. My suspicion is this is what is giving you trouble. They are located about even with where your ankle would be along the bottom of the panel. You have to get your hand behind the plastic panel and pull straight back. You'll hear a loud snap when they release. When you turn the panel around, you'll see little white clips the fit into rectangular slots. Take a look at the backside of other panel if you already have it off, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are two clips on the lower section of the panel that snap into place, and you have pull fairly hard to get them to release. My suspicion is this is what is giving you trouble. They are located about even with where your ankle would be along the bottom of the panel. You have to get your hand behind the plastic panel and pull straight back. You'll hear a loud snap when they release. When you turn the panel around, you'll see little white clips the fit into rectangular slots. Take a look at the backside of other panel if you already have it off, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Hi Fred. Thanks so much. Q. Does the shelter come off without touching the airbag?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you have followed the steps listed in the shop manual, the shelter should be loose. I remember the fastener #13 required some fiddling to release. Where specifically are you having trouble?
Thanks. Maybe this is what Fred mentioned below your post. Will have a look when I get to the shop.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts