GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Wing. Two of the four back light bulbs in the right control are not illuminating. They are the ones on the lower half of the control box. Based on the wiring diagram in my manual it looks like all of the back light bulbs in that control are connected in parallel, therefore I assume the problem is either 1) two bulbs are burnt out or 2) there is a problem in the power wire between the upper and lower half of the control.

Advice? (I guess I could get a new wing, but that may be a little extreme and believe me I have considered it) :)

A little about me. I am one of those guys who thinks if it is on the bike it should be working. I drive my wife nuts if there is something rattling in the car.

I don't want to tear into the wiring under the top shelter if it isn't necessary and I don't want to order two bulbs if that isn't the most likely problem (which, right now, I am thinking it is).

Thanks in advance ...

·
GL1800 Doctor
22,046 Posts
I have a 2004 Wing. Two of the four back light bulbs in the right control are not illuminating. They are the ones on the lower half of the control box. Based on the wiring diagram in my manual it looks like all of the back light bulbs in that control are connected in parallel, therefore I assume the problem is either 1) two bulbs are burnt out or 2) there is a problem in the power wire between the upper and lower half of the control.

Advice? (I guess I could get a new wing, but that may be a little extreme and believe me I have considered it) :)

A little about me. I am one of those guys who thinks if it is on the bike it should be working. I drive my wife nuts if there is something rattling in the car.

I don't want to tear into the wiring under the top shelter if it isn't necessary and I don't want to order two bulbs if that isn't the most likely problem (which, right now, I am thinking it is).

Thanks in advance ...
The bulbs are the most likely culprits.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rob (and you too Rayjoe). I believe I will go order a couple bulbs. I did take the control off and found out that the little plastic light holder was broken at the point where it screws onto the control. I have JB Welded it and am hoping for the best. I don't believe you can buy anything separate except for the bulbs. So to get one of these new, I would have to order the whole control. Not gonna happen.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
There ya go being a cheapskater again, lol, how are ya man, long time no see, hows your son doing, I need to come your way some time now that iam retired

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There ya go being a cheapskater again, lol, how are ya man, long time no see, hows your son doing, I need to come your way some time now that iam retired
Awwww .. you know me too well. It's hard to believe but I have been retired for over 4 years now. So its beans and franks and cheapskate parts for me now. Son's doing well, he's employed anyway. How about yours? You should come to some of the monthly pie runs on TWTex.com.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Here's a reply I posted back in Jan. of '13:

First: My background.....ASE Master Tech in Chrysler/Dodge/Kia dealer over 25 years and motorcycle repair tech for most of my life, extensive experience with 'Wing repairs. My '04 'Wing had the same problem yours does, and I put off fixing mine for a long time because I knew what a chore it probably would be. I was right. When I finally did the repair (last winter), I replaced ALL the bulbs in both left and right handlebar controls and also the headlight up/down control panel/knob at left knee area. I have the exact number and location of all the bulbs out in the garage, but it's late and cold out there right now, but if I remember correctly there are about 15 or more bulbs, of various wire lead lengths (each having different part numbers, some are doubled up, I think 5-6 different ones).....Anyway, I remember telling my wife, when I was all done, that if anybody EVER asks me to do that job for them, it would be $400.......The degree of difficulty was a 10, requiring patience I thought I had lost forever! Very small screws in an extremely confined area, with exactly duplicated wire routing of the bulbs/leads, in the proper order ( if not, won't fit back together on the bars correctly),and the use of hemostats and magnifying headgear to see and assemble down inside the housing halves. The cost of all the bulbs came to about $90 from my friendly Honda dealer. If you're able financially, I'd get an estimate from a dealer who's done this before (NOT one who hasn't, don't let them "learn how" at your expense!!) and pay them to do it.......In the long run I think you'll be better off than either doing it yourself or having somebody else mess it up. VERY labor-intensive!! But I have to admit, I'm glad I did mine......As a mechanic, I hate it when something isn't working correctly, and every time I'd ride and the darkness set in, I'd be reminded visually "I GOTTA FIND SOME TIME TO FIX THOSE DANG LIGHTS!!!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

First: My background.....ASE Master Tech in Chrysler/Dodge/Kia dealer over 25 years and motorcycle repair tech for most of my life, extensive experience with 'Wing repairs. My '04 'Wing had the same problem yours does, and I put off fixing mine for a long time because I knew what a chore it probably would be. I was right. When I finally did the repair (last winter), I replaced ALL the bulbs in both left and right handlebar controls and also the headlight up/down control panel/knob at left knee area. I have the exact number and location of all the bulbs out in the garage, but it's late and cold out there right now, but if I remember correctly there are about 15 or more bulbs, of various wire lead lengths (each having different part numbers, some are doubled up, I think 5-6 different ones).....Anyway, I remember telling my wife, when I was all done, that if anybody EVER asks me to do that job for them, it would be $400.......The degree of difficulty was a 10, requiring patience I thought I had lost forever! Very small screws in an extremely confined area, with exactly duplicated wire routing of the bulbs/leads, in the proper order ( if not, won't fit back together on the bars correctly),and the use of hemostats and magnifying headgear to see and assemble down inside the housing halves. The cost of all the bulbs came to about $90 from my friendly Honda dealer. If you're able financially, I'd get an estimate from a dealer who's done this before (NOT one who hasn't, don't let them "learn how" at your expense!!) and pay them to do it.......In the long run I think you'll be better off than either doing it yourself or having somebody else mess it up. VERY labor-intensive!! But I have to admit, I'm glad I did mine......As a mechanic, I hate it when something isn't working correctly, and every time I'd ride and the darkness set in, I'd be reminded visually "I GOTTA FIND SOME TIME TO FIX THOSE DANG LIGHTS!!!
Thanks Willie, I actually saw your post when I was researching my problem. My intention would not be to replace all the bulbs just the two on the lower half of the right control that are not working. Just to be sure I got the right bulbs, I ordered all of the ones listed in the Parts Fiche. There are three different parts numbers for four bulbs. With your experience, how hard is it to just change out the bottom two bulbs in the right control?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts

If the bulbs cost that much and are that hard to replace. It might be more cost effective to replace the handlebar housing assembly. Routing the housing wires is probably a pain in the arss too. At least this way you would get all new switches and have spare bulbs.

Just thinking out loud.

Rayjoe

·
Registered
2,305 Posts

Thanks in advance ...
Joe
I replace mine a few years ago, there are different bulbs for different lights on the controls..
ie the leads are different lengths, go to the dealer & look up on the parts fiche & figure out what lights you need, I actually bought extra lights.
it's a time consuming job, but, if you are a mech. handy guy you'll get it done, good luck, take your time..

Pat G.

·
Registered
20,451 Posts
Thanks Willie, I actually saw your post when I was researching my problem. My intention would not be to replace all the bulbs just the two on the lower half of the right control that are not working. Just to be sure I got the right bulbs, I ordered all of the ones listed in the Parts Fiche. There are three different parts numbers for four bulbs. With your experience, how hard is it to just change out the bottom two bulbs in the right control?
I'm not Willie, but have replace many of those bulb sets on many Wings. You did the right thing by ordering in all 4. The leads of all bulbs route to a common area in the upper housing. To replace the lowers, you will have to open up the upper too, so replacing them all is best.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not Willie, but have replace many of those bulb sets on many Wings. You did the right thing by ordering in all 4. The leads of all bulbs route to a common area in the upper housing. To replace the lowers, you will have to open up the upper too, so replacing them all is best.
Thanks for the advice Greg. I will replace them all.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jafi....Like Greg said, it's really a good idea to replace all the bulbs if you go in there. I didn't have a cell phone that was camera-capable at the time I did mine, but I would encourage you to take close-up, in-focus pics as you go thru the various stages/levels of disassembly of the control pod. It's kinda like an onion.....you've gotta peel back each layer of "stuff" one at a time until you get to where you can remove each bulb assembly/wire/end connector and replace the dead bulb. You can't replace the first bad one you remove, you've gotta work your way down to the deepest bad one, then rebuild the whole she-bang with new bulbs as you work your way back out. Route the wires EXACTLY where they were when you took out each bulb (photos?<G>), it'll go back together a LOT easier....My '04 bulbs seemed to start failing after 3-4 years, finally got to a point where I almost couldn't remember what was supposed to be illuminated, so many had quit working! It seems to me that the replacement bulbs (that I bought from Honda) are maybe more "durable" than the ones that were in the control pods from the factory....I haven't had one bulb fail since replacing all of them in the left/right pods and the ones in the headlight adjuster panel. Go Figure!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Joe
I replace mine a few years ago, there are different bulbs for different lights on the controls..
ie the leads are different lengths, go to the dealer & look up on the parts fiche & figure out what lights you need, I actually bought extra lights.
it's a time consuming job, but, if you are a mech. handy guy you'll get it done, good luck, take your time..

Pat G.

Hi Joe and Pat,
Have you ever tried these as an add on. Seems a lot easier than what you describe.

http://wingstuff.com/products/2049-handlebar-illumination-kit

Thanks for the comments.

Mike

·
Registered
709 Posts
Handle bar lights... >>> Blue > LED

I ordered some LED's off Ebay and wired them to original bulb wiring. They work great and I don't expect them to burn out like the incandescent bulbs. Way cheaper than buying all new bulbs, I think I used 3 mm 12 volt LED's. Used heat shrink on connections. Take picture before you pull bulbs to ensure routing is correct on reinstall. They fit better that way !

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm not Willie, but have replace many of those bulb sets on many Wings. You did the right thing by ordering in all 4. The leads of all bulbs route to a common area in the upper housing. To replace the lowers, you will have nice colour and longevity, lower power to open up the upper too, so replacing them all is best.
Greg, I liked replacing ALL mine with Blue LEDs. Bought all 15 or so LEDS for price of one bulb. Little solder/heatshrink. Now have low power/long life coloured LEDs.

·
Registered
20,451 Posts
Greg, I liked replacing ALL mine with Blue LEDs. Bought all 15 or so LEDS for price of one bulb. Little solder/heatshrink. Now have low power/long life coloured LEDs.
Just wondering ... usually the OEM ones, even when new, have an inconsistent shade from bulb to bulb that shows when looking at them. Are the aftermarket LED ones the same, or when one looks at there switch assembly at night is all the lighting even and the same shade ???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.