GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my key does not open the right locked fairing compartment any more. :( It used to. Is it possible that the cable that operates it may have become disconnected.

If that is possible how would I get the *&#@$^ thing open?

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I assume the key will turn in the lock...

Let's see... First you remove the long trim strip. Then you remove a screw to remove the panel below the right glove box. Reach in to the box latch and activate it to release the door. Then you can remove the pocket to check it out.

Also check the attachment of the cable to the lock cylinder.

I've never had to do this, I'm just going by memory of what others have said. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Welcome to the club! I think I was the last one who asked how to open it. I've found out it's a club with many members. Your membership # is 436-12B

It's a PITA, but what worked for me when I put the pocket back in, and it locked again, is this:

Lift up on the pocket cover and get a small flat screwdriver and work the bottom right screw out. Then lift the pocket cover and press down on the rivet on the bottom left with a small nail to release it. This will allow you to lift the bottom of the pocket up enough to release the latch.

I removed the trim piece and the cover below the pocket, but was unable to release the latch because how the pocket fits over the mechanism. I used the smallest fingers in the house and still could not reach it.

Before I put it together again, I tied a doubled up fishing string to the mechanism and fed it down behind the cover below the pocket so I just have to pull it if I ever make the same mistake.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! I am glad I had not locked my keys in there!

The key does turn but it just would not open.

I will review when I get back from a long weekend south of here and get a chance to work on it. At least I have a heated garage.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts