GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!! I am a Noobie GL1800 owner. 2006 Goldwing Black Cherry Comfort/Nav/Audio. The GPS has not been updated and I have not pulled it into the shop and gone through her yet. Any advice on a punchlist of priorities to walk through before Spring and riding time--which is wayyy extended now because of the comfort and Wx protection afforded by this bike! I know im asking for a HUGE BROAD scope of things, but as a basic mechanical kinda guy, I sure can use the wisdom of those that have gone before me on this road. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Hopefully, I will see you out there riding someday!! Till then, keep the plastic side up and the rubber side down! Safe riding!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would check the tires DOT date and the mileage on them. See if the previous owner was a Darksider. Do not know if you want to be a Darksider or ride on MC tires. Go ahead and change the oil. Change the Differential oil. Change the fork oil. Some guys say do not but I just rebuilt my forks and the fluid at 15k was black with metal shiny to it. So replaced all slider bushings while I was in there. Pull the seat and check to see if wiring has been chopped up for additional lights or electronic. I have seen guys twist wires together and wrap with tape. (shudder). And as a professional Auto Tech I hate half/a$$ work. After that it is adding Farkles.

As you are not to far from this place
GWOF is having a M&G in Banner Elk NC end of May So far about 50 people and 30 bikes. PM me if interested.

Attachments

Reactions: 1boardrider

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx JC! Definitely enough to keep me busy for a minute. Thank you for your input. Teach me about this 'Darksider' thing? Auto tire on bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure where to begin with accessories? I have noticed so far that the factory heat on the seats leaves a bit to be desired. The grip heat is fine, but the seat is another matter. I am thinking of the seat heat amplifier? Other than that--maybe a new windshield with a upturn wind deflector-- Klock Works, Taka, F4?? The ride seems to be a little tight as I am a hair over 6'1" tall with the floorboards installed.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Check/change the air filter and spark plugs, break pad wear front and back.

But you said right out of box Brand New? Then disregard these. Unless the box had any evidence of mice.

Greg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx Greg!! No evidence of mice yet!! LOL Will definitely check those items though. Can you reccomend a mantainance manual? BTW, Thank you for your service to our great nation!

·
Registered
476 Posts
outta the box

Welcome, give us the mileage on the bike. Check out the darkside sub-board for car tire info. If you have or can get access to a bore scope, check air filter condition thru front inlet. Look on the for sale sub board for fred harmon maint. dics and get a service manual. Clean and flush brake and clutch fluids. Check brass bushing on clutch lever an on on on on . Did I say get a maint. manual. Great to have you on the board.

Billy:congrats:

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

Hey folks!! I am a Noobie GL1800 owner. 2006 Goldwing Black Cherry Comfort/Nav/Audio. The GPS has not been updated and I have not pulled it into the shop and gone through her yet. Any advice on a punchlist of priorities to walk through before Spring and riding time--which is wayyy extended now because of the comfort and Wx protection afforded by this bike! I know im asking for a HUGE BROAD scope of things, but as a basic mechanical kinda guy, I sure can use the wisdom of those that have gone before me on this road. Thanks in advance for your help and advice. Hopefully, I will see you out there riding someday!! Till then, keep the plastic side up and the rubber side down! Safe riding!
This is a great place to start out as a newbie. I was actually on the board 6 months before I bought my first Wing.

I have several suggestions:
1) Order a service manual.

2) Get Fred Harmon's DVDs for the pre-2018 model years. Get these quickly as he is selling out of those. http://www.angelridevideos.com/gl1800.html

3) Get some ****-o-pegs for an alternate place to put your feet. You can find them at ridingiswonderful.com. I have the ones that mount on the vertical crash bars.

4) I really like riding with music and audio books and I use Sena headsets. There are several questions to ask to come up with an optimal configuration.

5) An Ultimate back rest may be helpful.

6) I found the headlights on the bike totally inadequate. I am using LEDs from Electrical Connection.

7) There are too many options to list here to fix the stock seat. However some have no problems with the OEM seat.

8) Suspension upgrades - I have added heavy springs to the front of my bike and also have a progressive rear spring. I also use a fork brace and am adding a billet triple tree this spring. You can spend any amount on suspension upgrades from $150 - $3000+ .

9) I suggest adding a fuse block before you start working on the wiring. I used an Eastern Beaver in mine, and it has worked great.

10) I would add an aftermarket GPS. The Garmin Nuvi and Zumo are the most popular.

11) I have a Powerlet power adapter on my fairing and use it for both a USB power outlet and to power my heated gear.

Please note, this list is in no particular order.

If you want some help wading through the bluetooth / audio maze send me a private message telling me what you want to do and I'll give you a suggestion or two.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I am not sure where to begin with accessories? I have noticed so far that the factory heat on the seats leaves a bit to be desired. The grip heat is fine, but the seat is another matter. I am thinking of the seat heat amplifier? Other than that--maybe a new windshield with a upturn wind deflector-- Klock Works, Taka, F4?? The ride seems to be a little tight as I am a hair over 6'1" tall with the floorboards installed.
Welcome from ?? Canada
You can easily increase the heat output of the seat with a plug and play unit available at Electrical Connections.....I think it’s less than $100
If you haven’t already done it......I cant stress enough about the importance of getting the Fred Harmon videos........I’m presently doing a valve clearance check......the only reason I’m comfortable doing it is because of these great videos!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to the board lots of good information shared here! What’s the mileage on your new machine? Any verifiable maintenance records? If your up for doing your own maintenance to establish a baseline then by all means get Fred Harmon’s maintenance CD’S and a Honda service manual will save you lots of first time headaches. Everything else you can research right here great guys willing to share.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you guys so much! Great feedback and input! Looks like I GOTTA get those 'Harmon' videos!! I'm going to need all the help I can get--no stranger to a wrench or an oil filter, but certainly no master mechanic! LOL I went ahead and ordered the "Electrical Connections" seat heat amplifier, got it installed--removing the seat was easier than I thought it would be--and the difference in the time to heat the seat and the output of heat is amazing! Man there are ALOT of wires under that seat!! LOL Aftermarket GPS or just buy the $100 updated CF card? I would like to have the fewest things hanging off the bars that I have to. Looking at the Heli-bars (?? think thats the name??) Seem more secure and like the idea of having the bars linked for stability. Am I thinking wrong? Anyway, lots to do--thanks to you guys and cant wait to get started! Say a prayer for me--Im gonna need em! LOL BTW She only has 7000 miles on her!!

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
i am not sure where to begin with accessories? I have noticed so far that the factory heat on the seats leaves a bit to be desired. The grip heat is fine, but the seat is another matter. I am thinking of the seat heat amplifier? Other than that--maybe a new windshield with a upturn wind deflector-- klock works, taka, f4?? The ride seems to be a little tight as i am a hair over 6'1" tall with the floorboards installed.
ck madstad windshield

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
HELI BARS GREAT . BIT PRICEY FOR MY CHEAP AZZ ! :surprise::grin2: GIVE YOU BEST ADJUSTMENTS OUT THERE . CAN CHANGE IF YA DONT LIKE . ON CAR TIRE CK DARKSIDERS FORUM GREAT INFO. ALSO IN W.VA. IN MAY IS DARKSIDER RIDE IN . GREAT AREA TO RIDE. DONT HAVE TO BE DS.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Okay, I have the Helibars and superbrace. I also replaced the triple tree bearings with All-Balls. I got my Service manual for $50 from ebay. Looked like brand new.
I love my Helibars and backrest. Not leaning forward over the bike. And you can see my Garmin mounted to the cross bar. And I know they were pricey but to me well worth the money.
You can add relays into blank spaces of your relay panel like mine. Just stop by your local HONDA CAR dealer and talk to one more senior friendly mechanics. Get a used fuse panel.
We keep several boxes of those bad wiring harnesses in our dealership. Never know if need a connector due to rodent or road debris damage. And HONDA does not sell the connectors alone just the wiring harness. Strip out the wires needed for the empty spots on your relay panel and add. Buy the HONDA car relays. Exact same as the MC ones but a whole lot cheaper. Now you can add electric Farkles.
I also added wiring to my fuse panel so I could add fuses for extra lights or whatever.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'd add to the list...change the coolant. Pro Honda Premix at Honda Dealer "cager" store.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'd add to the list...change the coolant. Pro Honda Premix at Honda Dealer "cager" store.
I would also add if you do not know what was maintained?

A must /// set of fred's no shoes repair dvds for you year [ once you get them you will under stand no shoes}

change air filter
motor oil filter
all front and rear brake bleed and new fluid { make sure recalls are done {x2}
if brake pads are passed 1/2 way change them
dot date eas other member stated no more than 3-4 yrs for me on f/r/ tire[run41 in both}
clutch fluid flush / new
NEW HONDA COOLANT ONLY FLUSH NO silicate

ride it for a month and figure out add ons
wind shield
seat
pegs / floor boards
mirror or front cowl wind deflectors

this will get you thinking you are going to love your wing and this great site
now go ride it if it's:) nit to cold. welcome:22yikes::22yikes: dont let him who about the nut house yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Red Wing One--I installed the Electrical Connections amplifier and it works wonderfully!! Thanx! I watched your lift video!!! Amazing!! Thank you for your help!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Welcome to the forum! google Map updates for a 2006 Honda Goldwing. Scroll down to the goldwing.garmin.com/goldwing/site and click it. Hit the update button. Select 2006. The newest map series available for your bike is 2014.40

1 - 20 of 21 Posts