GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you get yours? Motion pro has some but not what I want!

·
Registered
20,674 Posts
i don't have any but got a catalog from www.jakewilson.com a couple days ago and it looks like they have some nice rim protectors, a pair for $8.99, they come with a string attached which seems like it could b handy if the rim protector happens fall inside the tire
i just looked online and for some unknown reason they have the same rim protectors there for $13.99 a pair
http://www.jakewilson.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=321&navTitle=Motorcycle+Tires+%26+Accessories&webCatId=38&prodFamilyId=17146

they also carry the all metal valve stems at reasonable prices $2 each, shipping is $7 compared to patchboys $11 shipping fee
http://www.jakewilson.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=372&navTitle=Motorcycle+Tires+&+Accessories&webCatId=38&prodFamilyId=19082

·
Registered
285 Posts
I cut up 1 gal. plastic milk cartons. Works great and the price is right. You can make them any size you want and they are nice and thin so don't interfere with putting the tire on. To me the simpler the better. Jim

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
www.denniskirk,com has them online. I also got some from Cycle Gear store here in Orlando.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
Using Preston Drake's MoJo Lever has me NOT interested in any rim protectors -- they are built into his neat and easy to use bar. NoMar irons also have built in protectors.

prs

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Good thread. I've also been looking for some. I have a No-Mar changer but there are times when a tire iron is needed and the rim protectors would come in handy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
tire irons

If you need a tire iron....get the NO MAR spoons. They will not scratch and they are THE tire irons for installing Wing tires. Pricey, but they do the trick.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Well, as luck would have it - I found a set on Saturday at one of the dealers. Asked the parts folks and he emerged from the "back" with a nice set of nylon rim savers.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I have the NoMar changer and installing rear tires using their spoons was always a bit of a pain. Since buying the MoJo lever I have not used the NoMar spoons and installation is much easier.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I have No-Mar spoons. Still, there are times that a good, old-fashioned tire spoon comes in handy. I have some small, thin spoons that are the cat's meow on some tire changes... and some of the longer variety.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/133/4465/ITEM/Motion-Pro-11-Tire-Iron.aspx
Those are nice, but these beauties have that "magic" curvature you need to get the GL rear tires to mount:

Motion Pro 16" Tire Irons

I like 'em so much, I ended up buying a second one.....which says a lot because I am thrifty!

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Those are nice, but these beauties have that "magic" curvature you need to get the GL rear tires to mount:

Motion Pro 16" Tire Irons

I like 'em so much, I ended up buying a second one.....which says a lot because I am thrifty!
Yeah - I have two of those and two other lengths of the Motion Pro but slightly different style.

That's what I meant (small, thin) as compared to the No-Mar tire tools. I would not be without them.

Don't use those with the extra "curve" very often but they are very handy when you need them. :grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts