GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added the Kury ring of fire to my bike this weekend, but on the way to work I noticed a load wineing noise comeing through the head set that I would assume is caused by the ring of fire.
Anyone else had this problem? if so what did you do to correct it?

Thx Wht Lightning

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Not an answer for you, but just my $.02. I had the Kury ROF on our 05, & didn't have any problem with it. Did you wire it direct, or to a switch? I had all my LED accessories hooked up to a switch block. Didn't notice any extra noise, whether they were on or off.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the plug in harnes that came with it and pluged it into the spare plug in the left fairing pocket that I believe is intended for a power outlet as per the instructions.

Wht lightning

·
Vendor
22,066 Posts
The audio harnesses are prone to picking up electrical noise. You probably routed your wire too close to the headset harness. Try relocating either the headset harness or the wire to your lights. Remove the glove box, start the bike and put on you helmet and start moving the wires around and see if you can't find a position that gets rid of the noise.

Ground loop isolators are also notorious for being noise magnets, and you have to position them away from electrical harnesses or ignition wires or the alternator itself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred I tryed your suggestion but it didn't make a bit of difference, as a matter of fact I disconnected the ring of fire compleately and I still had the alternator wine in the headset. It was not there before.
This has me stumped.

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
White Lightnig said:
Fred I tryed your suggestion but it didn't make a bit of difference, as a matter of fact I disconnected the ring of fire compleately and I still had the alternator wine in the headset. It was not there before.
This has me stumped.

Wht Lightning
Here are some questions you might consider just to see if it shakes loose any
new thoughts that may help solve the problem.
Was your aux. input cable hooked up in that left pocket
or did you add it while in there doing the ROF?
If the aux, cable is installed, is there any chance the tip contacts are laying against something?
Is it definitely alternator whine (changes pitch with the engine spreed)?
Try the rear headset to see if the whine is there also.
What happens to the noise when you turn the intercom on and off?
Does it get louder if you turn up the intercom volume?
Now watch the darn thing go away while you're looking for it and not come back until it's inconvenient. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dream Catcher said:
Here are some questions you might consider just to see if it shakes loose any
new thoughts that may help solve the problem.
Was your aux. input cable hooked up in that left pocket
or did you add it while in there doing the ROF?
If the aux, cable is installed, is there any chance the tip contacts are laying against something?
Is it definitely alternator whine (changes pitch with the engine spreed)?
Try the rear headset to see if the whine is there also.
What happens to the noise when you turn the intercom on and off?
Does it get louder if you turn up the intercom volume?
Now watch the darn thing go away while you're looking for it and not come back until it's inconvenient. :lol: :lol:
DC
The aux cable was used for my XM prior to the ROF being installed, and I tried moving the wires around so I don't think the aux cable is the problem.
I have not tried the rear head set to see if that has the whine or not, but the whine does change pitch with engine speed.
It doesn't matter if the XM or intercom is on or not but I have noticed that the mute button will mute the whine while the XM is on.
AND NO IT HAS NOT GONE AWAY YET :?

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fred H. said:
Do you have a ground loop isolator on the AUX input? If you do, and you distrubed it's original position, it may be now picking up noise. Ground loop isolators can act like magnets for RFI.
I am embarassed to say I do not even know what that is. :oops:

Wht Lightning

·
Registered
261 Posts
What Fred Means is that IF you used a Ground Loop Isolator (You have to buy one of them). Generally they are plugged inbetween the aux input and the aux source like an MP3 player. That because of its electrical construction they are an RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) magnet, in that if it has been moved it could be more sensitive to the alternator whine. IF you have one try moving it around. Some people use foil and cover it.

HTH
FF

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FastFreddie said:
What Fred Means is that IF you used a Ground Loop Isolator (You have to buy one of them). Generally they are plugged inbetween the aux input and the aux source like an MP3 player. That because of its electrical construction they are an RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) magnet, in that if it has been moved it could be more sensitive to the alternator whine. IF you have one try moving it around. Some people use foil and cover it.

HTH
FF
I don't have anything like that, the AUX is plugged in directly to my XM radio.
Also I checked the passenger intercom connection and found that the whine is worse on that one then the front one

Wht Lightning

1 - 11 of 11 Posts