GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone crossed the bridge over the Rio Grande Gorge on 64 west of Taos?
I'm supposed to do it with some friends on Saturday and from the pics it looks like the most nerve wracking 1280 ft I will ever do. Not real good with heights.
Any words of wisdom? Winds, etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm supposed to do it with some friends on Saturday and from the pics it looks like the most nerve wracking 1280 ft I will ever do. Not real good with heights.
I have gone over that bridge a few times. Definitely an experience, especially if you get a freight truck coming the opposite way. The whole bridge moves. Take the time to pull over and walk across and look down. Breathtaking to say the least.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bridge

One man's breath taking view might be my major panic attack. I've heard about the swaying. I guess I can close my eyes and hope for the best.

·
Registered
226 Posts
When you cross it, park the bike and go to the middle and look down at the Rio Grande. I have Rafted this stretch. I watched them build this bridge. They had a huge net stretched across, but no workers ever fell.
Some punk kids threw another kid off to his death. There has been several suicide jumpers here as well. There was a hippy community and Easy Rider, Wild Hogs and other movies were filmed going across the bridge.
There is a hot spring at the bottom and a little south of the bridge. I used to watch the hippy girls bathe nude while I was fishing. Those were the days.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I rode it this spring by accident, had been riding the area and was in search of a gas station and happened across it.....I had to stop and walk out on and take some pictures. I just like riding bridges and that was a welcome surprise!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I understand your concerns. I've been across the bridge several times, but not with my wife. She just won't go, either afoot or in a vehicle. The only serious bridge she's ever crossed with me is the one at the Glen Canyon Dam in Arizona, and I had her down on the bridge before she knew it was coming. I got a serious smack for that!!!

The Rio Grande Gorge Bridge is spectacular and fascinating for me. Yes, it moves, especially when a vehicle or more is crossing it. Yeah, the wind blows sometimes pretty seriously across it and the canyon as well. And yeah, it's a looooong way down. But that bridge ain't goin' anywhere, except of course across the canyon. I know it's easy for me to say, since I don't have a problem with it, but ya gotta tell yourself that it is safe, because it is! Maybe you'd be better off not to ever look down from the bridge, either riding across or on foot. If so, then don't look to the right or left either, up and down the canyon. Just ride right on across and maybe look after you get across, unless of course you plan to come back the same road to get home!

It is a beautiful place ... the road leading up to the gorge from the east will cause you to wonder how such a thing could be there. I can only imagine what the folks riding a covered wagon must have thought when they pulled up to the edge after crossing that wide open flat area to the east of the gorge. They had to go a long, long way to find any place where they could continue their journey westward!! I think you'll be glad to have seen and experienced this place.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm doing it Saturday also. I'm coming from Tx

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bridge

Thanks for the encouragement Ken. We will be coming from the West. Going to Cuba first. Then back home to Albuquerque. Hopefully not too much smoke. We were fishing in the Jemez below the springs this morning when a ranger came by and said all the fishing access areas are closing until fall.

My wife is taking a pass on this one. I wouldn't have the guts to spring that on her. She would probably never ride with me again.

·
Registered
889 Posts
That should be a neat ride. No telling what you'll find when you head back south, I assume on 285. I'm bettin' you guys smell some smoke!! I normally don't spring that kinda stuff on my wife either. She's a pretty good sport about most things, but if she knows before hand about bridges and heights, she's definitely not in favor. She asked me if we had to ride back across that bridge to get home, and I told her we did unless she wanted to go a looooooong way around. She didn't much like it, but she agreed. After coming back across the bridge a few days later, I told her she did good!! She was actually able to look at the dam, but did not wish to look down the canyon away from the dam.

Hope you guys have a great ride Saturday!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Rode on the bridge last week. From sitting on a bike it's hard to see over the side. We parked on the other side and walked back on the bridge. Breathtaking!!

I didn't feel like the bridge was any different than any other bridge traveled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
RE Rio Grande Gorge

Rode it early last week after riding from Angel Fire to Taos in the rain. We stopped to walk out and take pictures, but in my opinion if you just ride across it you don't really see the gorge or the depth of it. It is an interesting and impressive sight. But if you don't appreciate those sorts of things, just keep riding you'll probably never notice unless you look right or left. According to our pictures and observations while stopped at the gorge, it was snowing on Taos Mountain while we were riding in the rain. It was an awesome sight for the last part of June.

Good Luck and enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Was there last week with Dan and Tommyboytx. Pretty impressive place and right in the middle of the most boring landscape you can imagine. There is parking on both sides but the Taos side has some vendors and a refreshment bus. If you walk out on the bridge, be prepared for the bridge to move a fair amount when there is traffic on it. :eek:4:
The little extensions are pretty cool but not for those with a fear of heights.

Here is a couple of shots from last years trip out to Rockies Gold.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Crossed it last year and enjoyed the experience. Not a big deal as far as riding over it though. Does not compare to riding across the Mackinaw bridge in Michigan, which I will be doing on 7-11 on my circle tour of Lake Huron. Enjoy the ride and don't worry about it.

Fred

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
scary scary scary

Just for fun watch this:

utube Ultralight gyrocopter hang glider.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts