GL1800Riders Forums banner

Riser Research

5K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Tisunac 
#1 ·
I purchased a Ultimate King Seat and I’m researching risers. I’ve read through all the different posts on all the different forums and it’s a bit overwhelming! I’m leaning towards the MBL 1803W or the Rocky Comfort.

I’m 6’2”, 210lbs, Wide Shoulders, 32” Inseam, Arm length is normal ( most XL long sleeves fit just right) ... on the stock GL1800 seat and handlebars I can ride 750 mile days with no problem... I just feel so cramped into the GL1800. :frown2:

The Ultimare Seat will raise me up 1/2” and Back 1 1/2 inches.... so I’m assuming I’ll need the bars to come up and back.

My questions are:
1. Do you think I’ll need a riser?
2. Which one would you recommend?
3. Why would someone want 2” Narrower???
4. Does Rocky still make them, how much are they and how do I contact him?

My Compiled Riser Data... fyi

Kuryakyn - 1 Kit with 3 Options

1. 2.1/4” Back 1” Higher and Width 2” Narrower
2. 1/4” Down
3. 3/4” Up

MBL - 2 different Kits / 1 Option Each

1. 1803W - UP ¾” and BACK 1 3/8” Width stays same
2. 1803S - UP ¾”, BACK 1½” and Width 2 1/4” Narrower

Show Chrome Riser Shim - 1 Kit / 1 Option

1. Raise handlebars 1 1/2”

Rocky Comfort

1) UP 2” and BACK 2” and Width Adjustable

“The Comfort risers are the only adjustable risers out there. They move the bars back 2" Move the bars up 2" and in or out. no other brand can make this claim.” (copied and pasted from a Rocky post off another forum)

See less See more
#2 ·
With the kuryakyn I was able to switch the left and right risers and ended up with bars that were back, up and wider. The only issues were playing with cables to get free moving handle bars and at full turns the bars come close to windshield. BTW I'm 6'2" and can ride all day now.

#4 ·
1) 5'9" stock seat with Alaska leather sheep wool pad
2) tried the MBL ...just OK...the wrist angle didn't change ( I'm an old dirt bike guy like my wrists 90 deg to the bars)...did ride (2) SCMAs 3 Flags with them ( 500+ mile days back to back to back to back...2000+ miles)
3) purchased Rocky's adjustable units ...my arms are a little straighter now at the elbow but the wrists are perfect...I like them better than the MBLs
4) you can contact Rocky through that other board...he tends to run the risers in "batch runs" at some CNC shop....so lead time may be a factor
hth

#6 ·
So, I went with the Rocky Comfort Risers. 2 Reasons, 1- Rocky was very informative and seems to genuinely care. 2- Someone on this board offered me a smokin deal a a used set of Rockies! ?

Last Friday we had a 42 degree day, I installed the used Ultimate King Seat I purchased!

Too cold to mess with the risers... I’ll do the risers when it’s warmer and post pics of before and after.... if I can figure out how to post pics... lol

#7 ·
Good choice, I have them also with an Ultimate seat and it all works very well together.

This should be a no brainer, but was not for me, so a word of advice. Put the bike on the center stand when you install the risers.
I figured a smart guy like me could it with the bike propped up on some 2x lumber, well when making my final adjustment I over centered the bike and down she went right on my wife's Solara. Did $2600.00 damage to the car and wrecked my right hand mirror housing, not to mention what it did to my ego. Fortunately all three have been repaired.

#12 ·
I'm a little shorter, weigh a little more but I am also terribly cramped on the 1800, to the point that I often get hip and leg cramps. The Ultimate King takes care of that and is great but I have no need of risers or any changes to the handlebars.

#15 ·
I got my risers installed also.... just waiting for the crappy weather to break to try out the ride! 20” of snow since Friday and over 36” for the month of April! Ugh!!!

#16 ·
WOW!!!
I just returned from a trip to TN and NC. Great test for my (New to me) Ultimate King Seat and the Rocky Comfort Riser and all I can Say is “Wow!” I’m so glad I made the changes. I could ride forever...

Reactions: doug of no fl
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.