GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime you just have to say "what the heck"

In two weeks we leave on a 4-5k trip and I finally broke down and said "what the heck" and replaced the CT.

Back about 4 years ago I purchased a pair of Kumho Solis K21 205x60 tires from the local salvage yard. $130 for the pair. I don't think they had more than a couple hundred miles on them, maybe a thousand at most.

This morning on the way back from Sportwheels I noticed the mileage hit 39,999 so I put the bike on the center stand and idled it in high gear just to get the mileage to 40K - or on the speedo 110k (40k on the tire)

Here is the old next to the new - they were a matched pair.

As you can see there is still some life left, maybe 5k but no use taking any chances. It's just about to the wear bars.

As far as the first test ride on a new tire? Well it was just like changing oil - no different. I had expected a slight squeak or chirping while backing out of the garage as these tires tend to rub just a bit at first. No chirp or squeak. Down the road I took it up to 85 and not a hint of vibration. As expected the tire was perfectly balanced just like the last eight I installed. However at that speed I did notice a hint of rubber smell so I know the right corner was indeed rubbing. I kept on it for 5 miles just to make sure. Once back in the shop I checked it our and the right corner looks like it had a 3/4" wide area where it was rubbing slightly. This is normal for this size tire and will stop in the next 500 miles or so. I'll just have to make a lot of right hand turns I guess.

For 35 of the 40K I ran a consistent unmentioned pressure,and after studying the wear it appears the outside edges did wear just a tiny bit more than the center. I decided on this new tire I will run 1lb more pressure just to even it out.
To be realistic the only way to really determine what is optimum is to do this kind of test. pick a setup as stay consistent good or bad. If the results are poor or off a bit make a small adjustment and then again be consistently the same. It pretty much eliminates all the guess work.

Just for giggles here is one of my old choppers with a 4x4 bias car tire - 15psi was what we ran in these mainly for suspension purposes.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
How ya gonna turn left with those pipes dragging the ground. :twisted:

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Do you have to hold them on by hand?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention - I did the lay the bike on it's side routine to change the tire this time.

Great tip and great results, from now on (every 4 years) this is the method I will use to change wheels. :yes1:

·
Registered
973 Posts
C'mon Storm, tell us what pressure you have been running for the last 4 years.
You know you want to.:twisted:
MM

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
C'mon Storm, tell us what pressure you have been running for the last 4 years.
You know you want to.:twisted:
MM
I think he gave a hint on another thread. "11psi"

·
Registered
514 Posts
How can-

anyone get nearly 40,000 miles from tires on a Wing. Sorry, but it souncds like B.S. to me. Unless, it is ridden at 5 mph without turning.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Makes my butt hurt just looking at that chopper seat.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
anyone get nearly 40,000 miles from tires on a Wing. Sorry, but it souncds like B.S. to me. Unless, it is ridden at 5 mph without turning.
nope.... no BS. Good tire.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
40,055 miles to be exact with more to go - 15psi on my trike but not on this one.

yes I drove 109k at 5mph and never turned once. ;)

couple other things besides the lay down technique which is a thumbs up. I did not use wax paper however I am thinking that also is a good idea. I did pull the valve out of the old tire prior to removal and the same with the new tire prior to install. I was able to walk the tire in with little resistance.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It sounds like the tires are getting kind of old, check the manufacture date. After they are more than 5 years old they can develop problems and cracks from the rubber drying out. I might trust them on a car or truck but not on a bike. I have seen cracked old tires throw the tread and bend truck fenders like they are nothing.
Same story every time, "it started vibrating, and then it got worse, then BLAM all heck broke loose."
WP_090.jpg

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I better check the tires on the seca - they are only 29 years old :tongue:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Right now im sitting on a 2005 wing that has around 36K on my CT and I see plenty enough tread remaining to go past 40K a few months from now

My average speed is 75-85 going back and forth to work everyday

And I hit twisties whenever I can

Your comment is B.S.

Maybe you just aint doing it right :cool:

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
If it works for you, whatever you're doing, you're doing it right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts