GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mounted air horns on my 1500 but I need info on mounting them on the 1800. Have any of you done this.......any problems during mounting....how long to mount.....Should I let a dealer mount them?? Is there an electric horn that is as loud as the Rivco horns? I have not purchased the horns yet and may not get them at all if there are major mounting problems with fairing etc. . Thanks for any information this board can give me.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
horns

Walk out into your garage and blow your horn on ur 1800, i doubt very seriously at this point you will
think you need a louder horn imho.
Our goldwing club ate at the resturant near Bagdad recently, the one that pushes buffalo meat.
JD

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The OE horns on my 1800 are quite loud. THey have been used several times lately

8)

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'll make it three.....why add something that is not functionally necessary on the 1800? It has such beautiful lines when it remains in its stock condition.

Amen to having aftermarket horns on the 1500...beep, beep.

·
Registered
221 Posts
To some I guess, loud is not loud enough.

I saw a vendor mount air horns on the front of a couple of GL1800's. He mounted them on the front inner fairing. If you look under the headlights on either side of the forks you will see the intake grills for the radiators. The front inner fairings are to the outside left and right. He mounted the compressor behind the right intake grill but on an ABS bike there is no room there so he mounted the compressor in front of the right pocket.

Now you can really blow your own horn :D

:yw1:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Have to chime in with the majority here... The 1800s horn is awesome! If someone doesn't hear that thing... there is no hope!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had air horns on one of my previous Harleys, and was intending getting one for the Wing. But the stock horn on the wing is plenty loud for me and its alreaady installed and paid for. JMHO

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
horn reply--thanks

Thanks to everyone for the response........and I am having a tendency to agree with you. I had mixed feelings about the air horn (only as a safety matter) but what is being said makes me think twice about the installation. I don't think the installation is going to occur......Thanks for the input

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree that the OEM horns are loud' but some cagers just don't seem to understand that WE have the right to drive the roads also.

I have two dangerous areas that I drive through on the way to work daily.
There are other opportunities for disaster every day too.

So, I bought a police/fire siren, insalled it.
DAMN!!!!!!! that thing will get people to straighten up thier act!

I got the idea from a Texas Fire Marshall in the Houston area. I was telling him that I wanted to install air horns on my 1800, but I didn't like the DINKY sounding air horns that most bikers use.
Granted loud, but DINKY sounding.
I wanted it to sound like a fire truck or a simi-truck.
I wanted loud horns , but I want the bike to keep its clean lines.

He said why don't I just put on a siren & he turned his on for me.
Holy Cow. Thats what I want!
He said that they are illegal, but just don't have them blaring all the time. Use them when you need them.

His was set up on his duty bike like the Cops. I wondered for about six months where to mount/ hide the speaker, & I gave up.
Then a friend of mine, Nathen, showed me his new add-on.
Yep, a siren! The power amp mounted in the CD changer spot & the speake blowing out the right saddle bag through the bottom.
Well I bought one I mounted mine almost the same.
If I can I will post some Pics soon.

BUT THEY ARE LOUD & EFFECTIVE!!!!!!!!!!!

DangerousDan :yw1:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts