GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried installing the Rivco hand control lights. Pulled everything apart, got the power going, controls mounted and did a test prior to running the final wire run. Works great - looks bright nice. HA this is going to be good.

Permanently install the right hand. Great, everything still working. Ran the cables, plugged in the left hand, final test - all lights on still great. Slide the heat shrink and poof - one of the connectors on the ribbon cable comes off. Tried getting the pins to go back in and POOOOOOOfffff one of the other ones comes apart. Now I wondering what to do. No matter what I do they won't stay.

Any suggestions on getting the power connected would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Hind sight is always 20-20....yes, in my opinion it is always better with the Rivco lamps to connect the wires and do all the heat-shrinking of each connection and have that all done, and then apply the lamps to their respective position (of course with the wires laid out in their respective positions so you can hide them easily thereafter). Your only option at this point is to maybe try some small needle nose plyers to finese it on and heat shrink the connection and hope it all sets correctly or you maybe faced with calling Rivco and buying a new lamp that runs about $25. for each one. Watchout since at this stage they are very delicate and also very difficult to access and do anything with. One last option is if you can peel the lamp off so you can work with it and then reconnect it

Hope it works out well for you,

DaleC

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rivco lamps

Guess I made a mistake and followed thir instructions. I may end up buying new lamps - two actually - looks like I ruined both left hand sides.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Unfortunately most installation instructions are written by people who have never installed the article that the instruction is intended for.....

Seems lame, but par for the course!!

DaleC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts