GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I installed my rivco Hitch today and while it was not the hardest thing I have ever done, it was not a piece of cake.. The instructions are not bad but the first few steps are not real clear and the parts were actually tagged incorrectly. After a couple of call to Rivco, I was on my way again.

The hardest part of the install si the upright supports. Before you can start the pain in the a$$ job of installing them, you have to reroute 6 or so wiring harness. Installing the uprights are a job for 2... you can do it alone but it is not easy.

All in all it took about 2.5 hours, a lot of sweating (it was hot out), and a few curses to Rivco and Honda but it is complete.

The instructions kind of brush over the relocation of the wiring but it was a pain....

Mark

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Not unlike my experience installing the rivco hitch. It is a well-made piece of equipment though.

Jeff..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Atta-Boy.............Got-R-Done:thumbup:

Now go have an adult beverage or two and reflect on your considerable accomplishments today!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Any further advice? I just bought one of these and will be installing it soon... wife wants to do some two up/one bike riding.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any further advice? I just bought one of these and will be installing it soon... wife wants to do some two up/one bike riding.
Just my 2c worth - when installing the right hand bar next to the muffler, they tell you to drill out the threads of the sub-frame so you can run the bolt through the sub-frame and screw into the bar. The bolt size and threads are the same in both pieces and if you thread the new longer bolt through till it just protrudes through the sub-frame hole and hold the bar up against the bolt, it will screw into the bar and hold it tight. There will be no clearence problems from doing it this way. If you decide later to remove the hitch and go back to the original bolt, your are not going to have any threads in the sub-frame to screw the original bolt back into if you drill it out.

Reactions: jprism

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I suggest that you read the direction and set out your parts. Check their tags as my kit had several parts that rivco had placed the tags on the wrong side of the part...

Get someone to help with installing the uprights and take the time and re-route the wiring under the seat where the uprights connect. On my 09 the wire were going to be pinched so I re-routed around 3-4 wire bundles.

The directions kind of blow over this but it was needed and does take a little time.

Other than that, not hard at all

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rivco hitch

I just installed this hitch and wasn't impressed. After installing their 1 7/8 inch ball I drove to Sacramento to pick up a trailer with the same size hitch, and it wouldn't fit. Went to the auto part store and purchased a steel 1 7/8 ball and everything was fine. Some reason the Rivco ball is a little bigger. Then trying to insert the hitch pin, what a pain in the rear. First the attaching pin goes through from the bottom, seems less safe, and trying to get the safety pin in place laying on your back reaching over the top of the hitch is still a bigger pain. Laying on the ground inserting the attaching hardware isn't for me. Also ruined my back fender by cutting the hole for the hitch too big, instruction are very misleading. Wouldn't purchase this hitch again.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yeah, the Rivco hitch does require 2 sets of hands for the uprights, but I love how the hitch looks (or does not look) when not in use.
Quality system!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to agree with everything that I have read. The parts were miss labeled, it took two of us to get the uprights in place, and the ball was too big. I took the ball to Rivco at Wing Ding and they exchanged it.

I still like this hitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lock for Rivco Hitch

Getting ready to purchase the Rivco Hitch for my 06 Goldwing and was wondering if anyone out there already owns one and knows of a way to lock the hitch to the frame assembly... would a standard Class 2 Trailer Hitch Dead Bolt work? Hate to find the hitch & trailer gone because it wasn't secured. THX!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just my 2c worth - when installing the right hand bar next to the muffler, they tell you to drill out the threads of the sub-frame so you can run the bolt through the sub-frame and screw into the bar. The bolt size and threads are the same in both pieces and if you thread the new longer bolt through till it just protrudes through the sub-frame hole and hold the bar up against the bolt, it will screw into the bar and hold it tight. There will be no clearence problems from doing it this way. If you decide later to remove the hitch and go back to the original bolt, your are not going to have any threads in the sub-frame to screw the original bolt back into if you drill it out.
That's interesting... I'll try that. So, why do they recommend you drill out only the Right side? I would assume if you had to do it on one side, you'd have to do it on both.... whats unique about the left side?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, the standard locking hitch pin is too big. After installing Rivco's safety pin, due to location and design, you will have trouble getting it out. This location is hidden and hard to get to. The hitch pin might be half the diameter of a standard hitch pin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rivco Hitch Lock

Thanks Foolsgold... I guess nobody has had problems with theft... I guess I may be overly concerned. Appreciate the reply & info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts