GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure hope someone can help me with the following problem.

I purchased a Rivco hitch for my 2008 Wing and decided to do the installation myself. I followed all the detailed instructions provided by Rivco and marked each line off as I performed the task. The only problem I encountered with the instructions was with the template.
Instead of using the template for the cutout in the fender where the reflector was mounted, I used the dimensions indicated on the template. The template didn't match the dimensions given because they were printed at a less than 100% size. I cut the hole centered in the fender and the reflector installed perfectly.

The installation went smoothly until I was ready to check the tongue installation. My problem is that the tongue is centered 1/4" too far to the left. I compared the location to the tire center line. My Wing has less than a 1000 miles on it and has never been dropped or damaged. Everything else is in alignment with the center-line except the hitch. With the rear fender remove it is very easy to see the hitch is off to the left side. I loosened the strut bolts on the top and bottom but was unable to center the hitch.

I called Rivco and talked to two different people who stated that there are no adjustments for that. The only solution offered by the 2nd person was to move the receiver mounting plate by loosening all 4 bolts, install the hitch pin, and push it to the right as far as possible and tighten the bolts. If lucky, I might see an 1/8" adjustment. The next solution was to send it back to the factory and they would send me another hitch. He stated these parts are machined to close tolerances so what difference would a new hitch make?

Has anyone experience this issue? What can I do to correct the problem?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I put on the Rivco hitch also. It is a very well engineered product and extremely light weight. The hitch is not exactly centered in the cut-out. I don't know if it's of by 1/4" but probably 3/16 at least.
Why are you concerned about that?

Jeff...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put on the Rivco hitch also. It is a very well engineered product and extremely light weight. The hitch is not exactly centered in the cut-out. I don't know if it's of by 1/4" but probably 3/16 at least.
Why are you concerned about that?

Jeff...
Hi Jeff,
2 reasons for concern.
First, I'm not an engineer of any type, so I don't know if towing off center can create any type of unsafe condition or create unusual stress to the Wing.

Second - The off center condition doesn't blend in with the quality engineering and design perfection of the Wing.

If this is an ongoing problem with Rivco hitches then they should resolve the problem, don't you think?

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
<...>Has anyone experience this issue? What can I do to correct the problem?
Yep.

What to do? With it being off by that amount, the only one that will know about it will be you. The solution here is 'none'.

The hole in my fender turned out to be a bit larger than expected; of course, I already had a hole from installing a Pakit-Rak two years earlier. Yeah, I was off around a quarter inch or so...zero issues in 12,000 miles so far.

Gotta agree with Bowtie; you probably have an alignment issue with the Tupperware, not the hitch.

As soon as you jam in that trailer hitch or bag rack, you're not really going to see much of an issue with a quarter of an inch. :roll:

Enjoy the hitch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks KW.

I guess I could have just cut the hole last during the installation and made it offset to match.

Pulling a trailer for 12000 miles might even straighten it up! Planning a trip to the northwest Rockies starting mid August. That should account for 6000+ miles.

Thanks for your comments.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts