GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure hope someone can help me with the following problem.

I purchased a Rivco hitch for my 2008 Wing and decided to do the installation myself. I followed all the detailed instructions provided by Rivco and marked each line off as I performed the task. The only problem I encountered with the instructions was with the template.
Instead of using the template for the cutout in the fender where the reflector was mounted, I used the dimensions indicated on the template. The template didn't match the dimensions given because they were printed at a less than 100% size. I cut the hole centered in the fender and the reflector installed perfectly.

The installation went smoothly until I was ready to check the tongue installation. My problem is that the tongue is centered 1/4" too far to the left. I compared the location to the tire center line. My Wing has less than a 1000 miles on it and has never been dropped or damaged. Everything else is in alignment with the center-line except the hitch. With the rear fender remove it is very easy to see the hitch is off to the left side. I loosened the strut bolts on the top and bottom but was unable to center the hitch.

I called Rivco and talked to two different people who stated that there are no adjustments for that. The only solution offered by the 2nd person was to move the receiver mounting plate by loosening all 4 bolts, install the hitch pin, and push it to the right as far as possible and tighten the bolts. If lucky, I might see an 1/8" adjustment. The next solution was to send it back to the factory and they would send me another hitch. He stated these parts are machined to close tolerances so what difference would a new hitch make?

Has anyone experience this issue? What can I do to correct the problem?

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Denver,

I am with you in wanting to live in a perfect world, for sure. It will never happen though because there ain't one. But, to be honest, having the tongue 1/8" from "perfect" ain't no big thing at all, unless one is obsessive/compulsive. It will make absolutely no difference in how your trailer pulls and has no bearing whatsoever on safety at all.

I am sure it does get under your skin that it is not perfect. Right now you are looking at just that very closely and focusing on getting it just right. I understand and do not blame you. I've had customers, when they are building multi-million dollar homes, obsess on even the most minute detail - when they are making a specific choice. When they have decided on which door hinges to use they hardly ever even look at them again.

Same with the 1/8" out of alignment on your (and my) trailer tongue. In all the years I've had it on no one has ever got down on their hands and knees and said to me: "DUDE, your trailer tongue is 1/8" out of alignment from being perfect!!" And I wouldn't give a s if someone did.

But if you REALLY, REALLY want perfection here is a link to a tool that will set the tongue into blissful perfection:

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Min...andle-16-Pound-7348121.html?green=13049388232

And a picture of said tool:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Yes, I have installed several hitches and this is a common problem. I my case, the hitch was centered on the tire, but the rear subframe was slightly off center; probably due to manufacturing tollerences. One eighth inch isn't too bad.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Yellow10,
:agree::p LMAO! I was tempted to use something close to that big hammer but didn't know if it would hurt me more or the Wing. Decided to just ask someone about it.
Guess I'll will go with it as is!

Thanks for your comments & suggestions

·
Registered
306 Posts
My pleasure indeed!

If you do try to smack it into submission PLEASE put it on Youtube!!

Safe trailerin' to ya,

Yellow10

PS: I too had a '69 CB750, sandcast no less, but sold it in '76 (like a dumb a).

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I have seen one case where the Rivco ball plate was off center of the fender hole, and it was the secondary structure that was off. I have not seen a Rivco off center of the tire.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Sledge hammers, 2x4's to slam hoods, trunk and doors on, rubber mallets and other "persuaders" are used in the assembly plants everyday to make perfect parts line up!
Bent it - til it centers!

·
Banned
3 Posts
I have a rivco hitch on my bike, the only problem I had with mine is that the brackets were all labeled wrong as to isinde or outside, once that was figured out it was a good fit, and the template instructions leave a little to be desired, I pull a trailer and have used the wings power before and pulled a wheelie in second gear and never felt the bike pull one way at all so I don't think the 1/8 to 1/4 offset will cause you any problems. if it won't effect it with font tire off ground I don't think it will effect it at other times, just my experience,

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Rivco Hitch Installation

I did mine on my 07 and laid it out with a micrometer, laser sight etc. And then cut the hole with a drill and dremeltool. Mine was off by what you said yours is and it was centered on the tire. I had my mechanic friend look at it and he took the saddlebags off to do some wiring and said my sub-structure was fine so that wasn't it. ????? My bike wasn't down and we checked the frame also.
I pulled this hitch off and checked it for bends and square and installed it on my 2010 and the hole is centered....of course I let my mechanic do that one. :bow: I think their template is the problem. Of course those little black rubber grommets they give you to edge the hole with are there to "center" everything up. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts