GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In reading the post about how to set the illumination level on an '03, there was some discussion by a couple of folks about their aftermarket Rivco illumination panels.

I installed the Rivco panels on my '03 in '04. I have recently had trouble with my reverse switch sticking, but have avoided fixing it because of fears that the act of opening up the switch panel will destroy the Rivco unit.

Has anybody had any luck peeling the Rivco panel loose without destroying it?

Thanks

·
Vendor
17,367 Posts
I haven't peeled one off, but in looking into it, it did not really look reveresable in the sense of putting it back on. It looked like it is held on with double back tape. Removing it looks like it would damage it, or it would be easier to buy new then the likelyhood of removing, cleaning, and sticking back on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Rivco Illumination panels on my '03

My 03 had same problem with sticking cruise & radio mute buttons. Luckily I had a couple weeks left on extended warranty & Honda paid for complete replacement of both switch clusters. I had the Rivco panels too which I had to replace. Far cheaper than cost of switch assemblies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Check the RIVCO catalog site - they sell a replacement lighting sticker for just this reason. Cost is less than the whole unit.

You might try spraying some of the radio shack contact cleaner and tuner lube around the switch and then working it a number of times. That has worked for me several times now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you are ever in town let me know. I have a new right panel hanging in the shed. The old ones are green and the new ones are blue.
I'd make you a pretty good deal on it. :coffee1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rivco lights

I had the same problem with sticky switches and had to get access to them. I used some WD40 spray after carefully peeling back an edge on the "decal". They came off no problem. Cleaned the back with Dawn liquid, dried it and hand applied a little dab of Locktite adhesive (in a tube). It gives you about 5 minutes working time. A little sloppy on the hands, but the "decal went back just fine and works great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts