GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in Fayetteville last year, I had stopped by the Rivco booth and purchased a set of the GL1800 LED headlights (LED-115 if I remember correctly). Rivco typically makes a decent product. I had a light bulb out (the Sylvania Ultra-stars typically last a couple years at best, but I like the output) and I LOVE the headlights on my bride's '17 Corolla, so I figured I'd try a set of LEDs for my 13 'wing. I am kinda disappointed in the output. I love the bright, white color. The street signs seem to really shine. But getting on down the road with that light was always my fear with LEDs for headlights. This fear rings true for me. I believe my Sylvanias project further down the road. the LEDs are crazy bright (people can see me), but I cant see down the road as far as I thought I would be able to. Maybe I was hyping it up in my head and the outcome wasnt what I expected. Not sure there...

So all that to say this (or ask this). Did I do something wrong in the install? Do they have to be pointed in a different direction? My headlight adjuster seems to make zero difference now, which to me is kinda strange. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction before I take a loss on these by selling them. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Our headlight reflectors are not ideal for LED replacements, but their are a few specific Lights that are reasonably close. The generic HI replacements won't focus and you see everything except what you need to... the road primarily. When the LEDs doesn't rest exactly where the halogen filaments would be within the reflector they don't reflect and trim is useless. Take a look at the socal sold design for the Goldwing and you'll be on the right track. There are several constructed as such at varying cost. I had a heck of a time adjusting and manufacturing special adapters to work with mine, but in the end of was with it. Very bright, adequately focused and so far 2.5 years without having to replace any led light. At $40 for a pair of Silver Stars the LEDs I purchased have already paid for themselves twice over.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You might also prefer a different temp light, perhaps ones not so white. Some alternate k values are more yellowish then super white or blue can be found. I think mine are 6500k and pretty darn white and nearly 70 watts illumination each.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have Pathfinder LEDs and can not be any happier with output, color and illumination. Make sure the lights are perpendicular and not tilted. You can tell by looking into the reflectors with the lights off. If they are tilted at all it will affect the beam throw. They can be adjusted with a small Allen wrench and twisting the collar that mounts to the housing. This must be done before you install them. Secondly, aiming the height is needed. I did mine against my garage door 15 feet away on the center stand. I got mine perfect which was easy to do as my door has a design and I made sure each side illumination was symmetrical. These 2 items made a huge impact as I was not initially impressed and when looking into the light reflector noticed 1 bulb was tilted. That is when I pulled them out and adjusted the collar. Then that night the illumination was better but I was getting flashed a lot. I went home and adjusted the height downward and then I was impressed. The LEDs are amazing when adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Our Prius has dual LED headlights (projector) for low beam and a single incandescent for high beam on each side. The low beams are very effective and the high beams are like search lights. I wonder if Toyota chose the incandescent high beams for their ability to illuminate further than LEDs. The vehicle is 10 years old, so LEDs might have improved since then.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I just installed Electrical Connection's (EC) LEDs in both High & Low Beams. Love them! Just the other week I was leaving the house at 2 am and didn't get back until just after midnight. Ran some back roads that were in the boonies. Couldn't be happier with them.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is that this setup? https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/led-headlight-bulb-h7-honda-type-gl1800-f6b/

I just installed Electrical Connection's (EC) LEDs in both High & Low Beams. Love them! Just the other week I was leaving the house at 2 am and didn't get back until just after midnight. Ran some back roads that were in the boonies. Couldn't be happier with them.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts