GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife got me a set for Christmas.....but before I start the install....any tips or warnings I should be aware of or careful of.

Also, I don't think the instructions are all that clear....anybody know of a better set out there in cyberland?????????

Thanks in Advance.

Zipper

12/30/06: Guess the best advice so far is to wait till it warms up a bit. We have been in a Blizzard/Snowstorm for 3 days now...getting cabin fevor for sure.
Thanks again to all who responded and will respond.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've got them and really like them. The plastic cover is pretty stiff so when I bent them around the corners of my instrument clusters I used a hair dryer and put heat into them until they were pliable. I also used some tape to hold them in place while they cooled. Especially right at the corner.

They can be kind of finicky to get in just the right position. The one was rubbing on the cruise control on/off button so it would hang up pushed in. I took a sharp razor and shaved off a tiny bit between the button and the facing until it quit rubbing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
also when you go around the controls,make sure that you leave the wire loose enough as when you start to tighten the controls up the pins will not pull loose and that when you have start over again with the wires .
again ,those wires pins are not that strong to stay together.
the bottom line is take your time.
when you attach the controls on the brake level underside, make sure the brake light/cruise control switch in lined up on the pin before tightening,
if the cruise contol does not work or brake light fails to work,check the brake light switch. it can blow your mind if you go at it tooo fast!!!
again take your time
edmund

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I've had them since I got the bike. They've been trouble free. Clean the area where they'll adhere with rubbing alcohol and take your time with placement. Be careful running the wires and do a neat job...it will pay off in reliability.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've seen where a couple of people posted that they are flimsy or that they go out after a couple of months. I think you should send them to me for a full evaluation. :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
YNTER, could you also post a pic from the backside of both units where the wire come out please ?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rivco

Had a problem with mine, Damaged in the package process.
Rivco replaced them immediatly,
No Quibble,
Thanks to Cyclemax, and Rivco!
jas

·
Registered
406 Posts
Have had mine for three years and no problems. I didn't do the greatest job on the wiring, but it still works fine. Use the hair dryer, as recommended, to make them pliable. Also, little fingers help...getting those wires to connect was frustrating. Can't do without them at night...makes life much easier on the trike/bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts