GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Just follow the instructions.

Remember the ends of the plugins are fragle. They are worth every penny. Holly wanted them on her trike & kept telling me I was nuts for not putting them on. Well I got tired about her going on & on about them. After I installed them I can see why she was so happy with them. You don't think you glance at your controls much at night but I found out that I did.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Jerry - The install for the Rivco lighted instruments is pretty easy, but I would suggest laying out your wiring in the general area that each will run, then while everything is still loose attaching the Rivco lamps and shrinking the couplers that seal the connection of the wires and lamps (with a hair dryer) prior prior to attaching the lamps to their permanent position. If you wait and do it after attaching the lamps the area gets too tight and small and can be rather difficult.

You want to layout your wires so you don't have to try and route lamp and wire together in small or ackward places.

The lamps are rather delicate so obviously you want to work carefully so nothing gets broken or torn and all the connections are solid. Prior to doing the shrink wrapping you may also want to insure your lamps work too with the right wires going to the right posts as your not going to find it easy to switch them afterward without damaging the posts.

Once installed, you'll love the looks and added lighting the provide regardless if you know where everything is in the dark anyway.

Go slowly, read the instructions, attach the wires to the lamps as above, and you'll do fine.

Enjoy,

DaleC

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm thinking about buying these

After reading these posts, I'm wondering about the install of this product. I went to Rivco's web site and here's what it says,

"FINALLY, SEE YOUR CONTROLS AT NIGHT! Illuminated Rider Controls. Illuminates the unlighted portion of your stock GL1800 rider controls. This material was first developed by NASA for their space program and now is available to the public. Paper-thin illuminated lighting decals, matches the stock text and symbols. No disassembly of the switch housing required. Plugs into the exsisting handlebar wires. NO cutting or splicing. Installs in 30-45 minutes."

So has this product changed, it says it is a plug and go item, no cutting or splicing. Can someone that has these clear this up for me. I will be adding them to my bike no matter what, but I was hoping for an easy install that did not require a me to run any wires.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Rick,the only change these have made is that the new ones are a color that closer matches the stock lighting.
There are wires that tap into the brake controller on the right handlebar to the illuminators on the left.
It is not a difficult installation,but as others said,the connectors are very small and fragile.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
The only big concern is the panel connector ends, treat them like glass. Only because they can be pulled apart easy when moving around. Just clean the surfaces, front and side where they will stick. Be careful when putting the wire around the side of the controls. Take your time, not hard, but be cautious. Everything else is easy. And only snug the philip screw holding the adjustable dimmer, do not over tighten it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
OK, some things you shouldn't admit but... am I the only one that has to get that new accessory on right quick before the next ride? Am I the only one that trashed the first set of expensive Rivco Illuminated controls? :cry: :oops: Am I the only one that then went really
S L O W on the next installation? :lol: Remember the old adage: If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over? BTW, no I didn't tell the wife. :wink:

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Ken - I keep saying that we really need two Goldwing 1800's. The first one is the practice accessory bike, and first attempts to install accessories are always done on that bike. By the time you've installed one accessory on a bike you've learned all the do's and don't and potential shortcuts, so the install on a 2nd Wing will always be a snap and 1st rate.

I have one Goldwing and could really picture a 2nd one right beside it, trouble is deciding on the color for that 2nd bike. Oh, and the UPS guy is always giving me a bad time already about the frequency of visits and what am I installing now on my bike. He'd go crazy if he delivered for two bikes.

Ken - don't feel badly, sometimes I think the instructions for some accessories could be done a bit better.

DaleC

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rivco lighted controls

If you take your time and are very gentle the job is easy.I shielded the lamps with cardboard when used heat gun to shrink tubing.[b]DON'T FORCE ANYTHING AND DON'T OVERTIGHTEN SCREW ON BRIGHTNESS CONTROLLER.[/b]Good Luck

·
Registered
81 Posts
INSTALL

I love the illuminated controls but the 30-45 minutes is unrealistic (maybe if you had done 2 or 3 before). I bought a heat gun for this project and it really makes the process easier. Don't try it w/o a heat gun or a hair dryer.

·
Registered
788 Posts
In response to Rick M's questions, YES, they are plug and play. And, yes, they require careful handling and a little manual dexterity.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The other Rivco?

While we are on the subject, has anyone tried the "UV" charged Rivco control lights?
What is the deal with the "portable UV source" that comes with the kit?
Thanks gang, great advice all around this board.
Hawk

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: The other Rivco?

rchawk49 said:
While we are on the subject, has anyone tried the "UV" charged Rivco control lights?
What is the deal with the "portable UV source" that comes with the kit?
Thanks gang, great advice all around this board.
Hawk
Are you sure you aren't talking about the E/C lights?
They come with one of those small LED flashlights with a UV bulb.

Only seem on set, heard they don't stay illuminated very long before you have to run the light over them again.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
rchawk49 - yes, I had the E.C. Glow Controls and tried them for a while, but was disappointed with their short "lighted" life being only about 15 or 20 minutes (for me anyway). If they had stayed reasonably bright for say 2 to 3 hours, I could have been very happy with them and just zapped them with the special lite that comes with them to illuminate them again on a rest or gas stop during night travel. I decided to take mine off and order the Rivco's which are nice and bright plus adjustable.

DaleC

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks Dale and Mike,
Seems that I just saved a little money only to spend it and more on the lighted set.
Hawk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Put them on my bike last Aug and love them. Be sure to heat the controls before ataching them. It makes them form much better.
Ken 8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
OK now ya'll got me curious, just when I had memorized the location of the handlebar switches, I can get lights for them :idea: I looked at the site for the Rivco lights and can't figure out how the heck they work... are they stick on fiber-optics or little bulbs or what-the-heck :!: Seems you don't remove/replace the stock switch covers... JimW

·
Registered
344 Posts
jkwinchester said:
I looked at the site for the Rivco lights and can't figure out how the heck they work... are they stick on fiber-optics or little bulbs or what-the-heck :!: JimW
Jim,
They are made of an electically luminous film. It's much like the those very thin night lights you can leave plugged in forever. If your familiar with military aircraft, they are used as formation lights when flying at night. Not bright, but a clearly visible glow.

KZ
IR02
Fenton, MO

·
Registered
84 Posts
Milspec lites on my blackwing...

Thanks for the input, KZ. OK now I know why everyone is cautioning about the installation... Guess I will go ahead and order them. Any supplier you would reccommend? JimW.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: Milspec lites on my blackwing...

jkwinchester said:
Thanks for the input, KZ. OK now I know why everyone is cautioning about the installation... Guess I will go ahead and order them. Any supplier you would reccommend? JimW.
Hal has them, but I don't know if they have the new color (more closely matchess the bikes illumination) or the old.

If Hal has the old color and you want the new, here is an ebay auction for some of the new ones:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2453043710

Seller is a member of our board, Jeff Kelton (Jeff in Ferndale), who runs a small business to feed his wife & 13 kids (OK, really just to support his addiction to his bike!).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts