GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read multiple threads on these two options but found very little on the Rivco option for the 2018+ by members

I most likely would not be using a trailer in the future but if a Rivco or Bushtec hitch provided more carrying load capacity than the Pakit Rack mounting option I may choose that option.

Are there pros or cons of these two different systems and is there a best option for hitches depending on which system is used? Kind of vague but I am not really sure which option would allow the most flexibility.

By the time I bought the bag and lock they are both about the same cost.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just Installed PakItRak on 2018

Just received and installed the PakItRak for my 2018. I previously had the Rak on my 2007 for many years and was quite happy with it. Nice sized and secure to the pan. Very good rain cover. No issues with rideability.

The new one is very similar, but they no longer offer a through the fender, straight 1" receiver, but the bracket is essentially similar to a trailer hitch (see photo), but not as sturdy, thus no towing. The bag does NOT block the rear tail/stoplights.

I will be using it also for my Patriot Guard flagpole, currently making a second bracket to weld to the flagpole bracket.

Very impressed with the quality of product when it arrived, well packaged. Very nice gloss black finish.

Installation by me took about 90 min, very straightforward. I'm not a mechanic type, just a DIY. Easy access removing the rear fender panel, no drilling. Very sturdy bracket and support arms. Installation directions were very good with diagrams and photos.

Very happy so far, like it as much as the old model.

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
rivco or pakit rak

I like my rivco better. I looked at both first before buying and the rivco is lighter and made of aluminum so will not rust like the pakit that is steel and the bag with included rain cover is excellent. Just my opinion and I also tow a trailer when going two up.
Billy

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Silverflash, it DOES block your license plate entirely, though! That will get you a ticket every day of the week!

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
I got one, just need bracket and L bracket...

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have the RIVCO on my 2013. I'd suspect that any difference when it comes to the 2018 would be in how the Hitch is designed more than anything to do with the Rack or the Bag that comes with it. While the RIVCO it doesn't hold quite as much as the PACKIT (although it is close), it also limits the amount of weight you're hanging off the end of the bike as well as how hard it is to carry it from the bike to your hotel room or campsite. OTOH if you ever go to sell it; the PACKIT has much better name recognition. Thus the PACKIT Racks' resale value is probably better.

FWIW I've never gotten any complaints or comments what-so-ever from any Leo. However, that said, I do carry a laminated copy of my license plate . . . . just in case it ever does become an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Silverflash, it DOES block your license plate entirely, though! That will get you a ticket every day of the week!
I've rode with a cooler on the back of my '02 and '09 wings and the plate was mostly blocked. Never had any problems and put tens of thousands of miles that way.

On my 2018, the plate seems to be a bit lower and I did get puller over near Deals Gap this summer. Luckily, I got just a warning. I ended up making a bracket to attach the plate to to the cooler rack.

It's kind of a pain to unbolt and bolt the plate depending if I want the cooler rack or not. I will come up with a heavy duty magnet bracket to make it much easier to relocate the plate.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It will get you stopped in Florida every time if the license plate or rear mandator lighting is blocked as viewed from the rear. Any owner copies on the rack will get you in big trouble as the toll system has being cheated by non photo friendly plates and has caused FHP to strictly enforce the copy law. If blocked with anything on the rear in Florida, move the real plate to the back of the rack. Here was my solution:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/members/22132-gatorwing-albums-pakit-rak-florida-house-bill-1223-effective-1-01-2013.html

·
Registered
162 Posts
C issues)

I have searched and read multiple threads on these two options but found very little on the Rivco option for the 2018+ by members

I most likely would not be using a trailer in the future but if a Rivco or Bushtec hitch provided more carrying load capacity than the Pakit Rack mounting option I may choose that option.

Are there pros or cons of these two different systems and is there a best option for hitches depending on which system is used? Kind of vague but I am not really sure which option would allow the most flexibility.

By the time I bought the bag and lock they are both about the same cost.

Thanks for any input
For what it's worth, I went with the Rivco trailer hitch (mounting method) and Rivco's rack / bag system. Like you, I don't expect to pull a trailer, but wanted a more robust mounting for any rack / bag system (I may still consider the Pakit Rak w/ adapter bracket for Rivco hitch at some point). I was aware the Pakit Rak bag has more capacity, but needed an increased carrying capacity solution for the bike sooner than the Pakit Rak 2018 GW specific mounting bracket would become available. I've used the Rivco system now on five or six trips and am overall quite happy with all aspects of it (though I should add that I found the Rivco trailer hitch to be unnecessarily challenging to install, likely due to QC issues, but..). Like many others here, I also had concerns about blocking the license plate and OEM tail / brake / directional lamps with either the Rivco or Pakit Rak systems. At least with the Rivco system installed on my 2018 DCT Tour, my concern about the OEM rear lamps being blocked from view by vehicles behind me are mostly unfounded, though a MC can never have too much visibility from the rear! The license plate is somewhat blocked from direct view, but... Rivco does offer an optional accessory LED rear light bar / bracket that attaches behind their rack and provides for accessory rear lamp visibility and relocating of the license plate.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I undertand the plate blockage issue and that does not concern me. I will work around that. My main concern is the rear visibility of the running/brake/turn signals.

If I choose to use a regular hitch then is there any mounting difference between the Rivco and Bushtec making one easier or better than the other?

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It will get you stopped in Florida every time if the license plate or rear mandator lighting is blocked as viewed from the rear. Any owner copies on the rack will get you in big trouble as the toll system has being cheated by non photo friendly plates and has caused FHP to strictly enforce the copy law. If blocked with anything on the rear in Florida, move the real plate to the back of the rack. Here was my solution:

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/members/22132-gatorwing-albums-pakit-rak-florida-house-bill-1223-effective-1-01-2013.html
Got stopped in Maryland for "obstructed license plate"
Those that haven't had a problem are just lucky

·
Registered
162 Posts
I undertand the plate blockage issue and that does not concern me. I will work around that. My main concern is the rear visibility of the running/brake/turn signals.

If I choose to use a regular hitch then is there any mounting difference between the Rivco and Bushtec making one easier or better than the other?

Thanks again for the advice.
If by "regular hitch" you mean the direct attachment bracket (not an actual trailer hitch) that either Rivco or Pakit offer, then from my experience, at least the strength offered by attaching the rack directly to an actual (Rivco) trailer hitch is preferable (stronger), though was more work / cost to install (an actual trailer hitch). Also, be aware that the different options available to attach either rack could change the installed rack height position relative to the rear OEM lamps.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, By regular I meant an actual trailer hitch. So many options from using their bag to a bag of my own. Was thinking about using a dry bag that allows better visibility of the lighting.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
So Far So Good

Been all over with my Pakit Rak and even Canada and never (to this point) gotten a ticket because of my tag being covered. Must be a very low priority on the officers list. I'll continue to ride as it is mounted now. Oh and the ride to Canada was on a 2018 DCT with the Pakit Rak.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Get an Extra License Plate.

Concerning blocking the view of the license plate:

Couldn't you just tell the DMV that you lost yours and order a replacement? Have one on the bike and one on the rack. :smile2:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
A little perjury?

Concerning blocking the view of the license plate:

Couldn't you just tell the DMV that you lost yours and order a replacement? Have one on the bike and one on the rack. :smile2:
Sounds good but I think the cop could notice 2 identical plates unless he is not the brightest star in the sky.
Then what do you say to him. How about I found the first plate in the strangest place "On the back of the bike" :surprise: .
I think it is called perjury :shrug: .

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I have towed thousands of miles all over the US (not just on a motorcycle) and not once have I been pulled over for my plate not being visible. But, since there has been such discord here concerning plate visibility, I emailed the FL DMV and here is what they said;

"There is no requirement that the tag be visible on the towing vehicle when towing a trailer as long as the tag is not being obscured by something other then what's being towed."

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Show that email to an LEO when stopped

I have towed thousands of miles all over the US (not just on a motorcycle) and not once have I been pulled over for my plate not being visible. But, since there has been such discord here concerning plate visibility, I emailed the FL DMV and here is what they said;

"There is no requirement that the tag be visible on the towing vehicle when towing a trailer as long as the tag is not being obscured by something other then what's being towed."
#1-A rak is not a towed vehicle.
#2-You are communicating with some clown behind a counter who couldn't care less as long as they don't miss their coffee break.

When a FL officer stops you tell him and the judge your story and enjoy their sympathy :surprise: .
How many times have people called the federal tax collectors, followed their advice and got prosecuted for using that advice. More than you could ever count :nojoke:.
Read the link below very carefully. That is what the LEO & judge will go by.
They don't care about an email or hearsay phone call.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0320/Sections/0320.061.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts