GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading some reviews and seeing some not so clear pictures of the installation fit, I purchase the Rivco armrest kit last fall.
If you look at the fit of the before modifications pictures you will notice that Rivco's cutout in the corner of the bracket isn't big enough to straddle the fiberglass corner fillet on the tunk. There are two Rivco brackets, one for each side. I am showing the problem on the left side, but the same problem and modification are mirrored on both brackets. See left interference in corner below.
RivcoOrigFitLeft.jpg
This kept the bracket from fitting snuggle in the corner between the trunk and the speaker box. See corner poor fit below.
RivcoOrigLeftCorner.jpg
I showed this to one of the mechanical engineers at work and we concluded that for the bracket to fit flush against the side and back that the bracket needed to have some of the material in the bracket corner milled out. Mounting this without the following modifications would put a lot of stress on the fiberglass at the two mounting screw locations.
RivcoCutoutLeft.jpg
I also had to file out a little fiberglass from the corner too. Notice how the fillet now sticks through the cutout so the bracket fits snug against the trunk in the back and against the speaker box on the left, below.
RivcoModFitLeft.jpg
Not too much so as not to weaken the trunk structure. Picture below is from behind in the trunk.
RivcoModFitLeftBack.jpg

I don't know why Rivco doesn't have more material removed from the corner to start with, because it just doesn't fit properly otherwise.
The armrest now fit without any interference.

My wife likes these armrests. I like the fact that the arms swing up out of the way when I am riding alone.

So I would recommend the Rivco armrests, but be prepared to do some machining, otherwise I'd say don't purchase them.
I was able to get my friend to do it with an end mill, but I think you could do it with a hack saw and a file, just as well. Good luck.

·
Banned
7,604 Posts
Question- How long have you had the rack bag and how heavy do you load it, that is showmn in your avatar?
Had one when I owned an Ultra. Gave it to my son as I didn't think it would work on the Wing. To much of it was unsupported because of where it had to be placed to "clear" the passenger back rest portion of the Wings trunk.
Thanks and thanks for the heads up on the arm rests. Assuming these brackets have been in production for a long time, seems strange no one ever noticed this before. Good catch!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-Bag load answer

Question- How long have you had the rack bag and how heavy do you load it, that is showmn in your avatar?
Had one when I owned an Ultra. Gave it to my son as I didn't think it would work on the Wing. To much of it was unsupported because of where it had to be placed to "clear" the passenger back rest portion of the Wings trunk.
Thanks and thanks for the heads up on the arm rests. Assuming these brackets have been in production for a long time, seems strange no one ever noticed this before. Good catch!

Interesting that you should ask!

I just weighed all of our gear after our annual 4th July week trip to upstate New York.
Here are the results ( scale had 1 lb resolution):
Left Side Bag ( Me clothes) ............................14 lbs
Right Side Bag ( Wife's clothes)........................15 lbs
Luggage Rack Bag (rain gear etc..)....................23 lbs
Trunk ( Cooler/lunch bag, Drinks, More clothes) 22 lbs
2 Arai Helmets...............................................8 lbs
2 First Gear Mesh Coat and Pants.....................14 lbs

TOTAL.........................................................96 lbs

The bag we have is a obsolete T-Bag specifically designed for use on a luggage racks.
It has 4 hold down straps, which wrap around the Kuryakyn rack perfectly.
Inside it is 19" x 9" x 9".
I just looked at the T-Bag site. It looks like it is very close to their current TB1000DTS Dekker Supreme bag.

We have had our bag since 2004 when we purchased the bike, and have used it in the same way, loading 20 to 25 lbs on weekend and longer trips.
Many times we bungy the First Gear Coats and Pants on top of the T-Bag. That would make it 37 lbs that the rack is carrying.
I know that Kuryakyn doesn't advise carrying that much but we have not had a problem.
I had the dealer install my rack, and I think they did a good job, so I feel confident carrying more than advertised, but I wouldn't put 50 lbs up there.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Just helped a fellow Winger install the Rivco's last weekend on a 2010. Fit like a glove in there. Try as we did to outguess the instructions, we soon discovered that they were idiot proof.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
When I installed a pair on my 2008 GW I didn't have any problems mounting it and did NOT have to do any mods to it either. Fit like it was suppose too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I installed a pair on my 2008 GW I didn't have any problems mounting it and did NOT have to do any mods to it either. Fit like it was suppose too.
That's great to hear.

My wing is a 2004.
As you can see on my bike the fit was close, but not acceptable without modification.

It doesn't make sense that Rivco would intentionally release a product that doesn't fit.
Perhaps there is a slight difference between the 2008 and 2004.
I would like to see how the bracket on your bike fits around the fillet in the corner.
I would hope that on the newer bikes that people would have an experience like yours.

We love the final installation results, as I am sure you do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts