GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting these armrests.
I know a while back some guys bought these, and it would be very usefull to hear your pros & cons now that you have had them on for a while.
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
We like ours. We have had other brands in the past and the SO likes these the best. I think the mount could have been engineered a little better BUT we have had no problems with them. I would buy em again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dont know about the armrest, but the company is great to do business with

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We have had them on for about a month now I guess. I really like the way they look. I ride solo when my wife rides her bike and they look good up and out of the way, instead of swinging around back there with nobody in the seat. We had the little shorty Hondaline ones prior (because I did not like the long braces coming down to the handles on the passenger seat) and the wife wanted some bigger ones for our trip to Colorado (I asked her to ride with me to save on the gasoline budget). She is very happy with them. They are very easy to install, Im no technician as was able to install them myself. You will have to drill 2 large holes in your speaker boxes and in the back of the trunk for the steel brace that goes around to support the armrests. The holes will not show, they are to hold some large rubber bushings with nut inserts to which the armrests attach. These rubber bushings keep the speaker housing and trunk back from cracking. I would buy them again if I had to do it over again.
Pros:
  1. Look great on the bike solo
  2. Dont have to move them to open the trunk
  3. Wife likes them
  4. Will not swing around when solo
  5. Easy for her to get on and off the passenger seat (not in the way)
  6. Easy to install
Cons:
  1. You dont want to buy the optional drink holder because when the armrests are raised her drink will pour over the trunk or fall out (I bought the drink holder that attaches to the passenger handle instead)
  2. Not real sturdy, there is no support under these. I dont think this will be a problem unless I drop the bike with her on it, it could bust the speaker housing or trunk housing if she were thrown hard against them. She also should not use them to lift her weight off the seat (they are always up when getting on or off the bike however)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I think I will order them.
Paul

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
oops, I forgot to mention that you can change the width of them easily by turning the armrests pads around (extra set of holes from the factory), thus they will comfortably fit a smaller or larger passenger.
Im sure she will love them.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have the kury armrest there not bad just have to swing them out every time you open the trunk. The Rivco rest swing upwards when the trunk opens much better plus the crome is better.:thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I tried them but did not like them and took them off. They did not seem very substantial to me as far as how they mount. The product itself is heavy and the 2 mounting points don't support them very well in my opinion. I was concerned about the wife forgetting or slipping and putting her entire weight on them. The 2 studs and nuts that connect the 2 parts of each arm rest poke the vinyl(sp) of the seatback and I think eventually will wear a hole in it. Also the mounting brackets don't fit flush against the trunk or the speaker box because of the rubber plugs used to hold the armrets in place. This makes for a large gap between the seatback and the trunk. In fact I had to force the seatback down on to the notches that hold it in place. Did not like that either though they give you a piece of foam rubber to fill the gap with. Seemed to make the seatback be in a bit of a bind.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Soooo... Mike,

Did you send them back or are you looking to sell them? ;)

Bob

·
Registered
132 Posts
Bob I promised the guys at the Smokey Mountain Ride In that they could have them for the charity auction next week. Sorry. Otherwise I would have let you had them real cheap.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
...I would have let you had them real cheap.
That's the part the hurts the worst... ;)

Sounds like they are going to a good cause! Thanks for responding. :)

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts