GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2012 Goldwing (purchased April 2018). I am 6'3" tall with a 34" inseam. My Wing does have the Baker Air Wings so I also want to make certain that my shins will easily clear bottom of the Baker wings regardless of my "peg" choice.
I'm looking for advice on whether to go with the Rivco pegs or the Kuryakin Ergo III pegs.
It would also be interesting to hear from riders who chose either brand, then regretted that choice, and the reasons behind this regret.

Current temperature here in southern Ontario (just outside Toronto), is MINUS 21 degrees Celsius, with a windchill of MINUS 35 Celsius (minus 24 Fahrenheit). Add in lots of snow, and there is an acknowledgment that riding season is still just in my imagination, and memory.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I have ridden both the Rivco pegs and Kury Ergo III. I ride a Hannigan trike and have short legs so had to switch to the Kury's for comfort. Having said that if I could have used the Rivco's I would still be using them. The reason I can' is the Rivco's won't pass the running boards on the Hannigan. The Rivco's only have one negative thing for me and that is the bolts that hold them onto the bars are on the opposite side from where they should be in opinion. It is hard to get the hex wrench onto the bolt head. The Rivco's have many more adjustments and can also be put on the vertical or horizontal bar which will allow your feet to extend out farther. I also think the quality of the Rivco's are better than the Kury''s. This is all just my opinion I also would be willing to sell the Rivco's if you are interested just drop me an PM

·
Registered
762 Posts
dwatc are you talking about the pegs that clamp on the bars (not the Aeropegs)?

I think comparing any fixed clamp on pegs to Ergo III is kinda misleading. The Ergo III are spring loaded and should be correctly compared to ****-O-Pegs IMHO.

I have ****-O-Peg GD and the RIVCO Aeropegs and the Baker Wind Wings w/lowers but not the leg wings. They all work well together for me but.....

I have 30" inseam with Aeros at mid point. You would probably want them in the forward holes and that could cause you to bang the Bakers.

In the ****-O-Pegs, you would want probably more swing and/or longer arms for your inseam. Perhaps even going to the swing out style vs. the straight up/down style that I have. More room for your longer legs and more clearance to the Bakers.

There were a set of MOPs on the classified board a while back. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/6-gl1800-classifieds-4-sale-owner/438973-****-o-pegs.html The guy that posted them is about your height so give him a note.

Reactions: The Cottager

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
IMOP their is no way you can compare the Kury chrome to the Rivco chrome. The Kury chrome just hasn't held up like the Rivco chrome. Rivco is pricey but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
I'll second CAWing's recommendation. I've had Kuryakyn products and while the functions are excellent the quality of the castings and the chrome in particular is abysmal to put it mildly. For the appearance, function and the quality; Rivco is awfully tough to beat. 6' 32" inseam here and I actually prefer my Rivco Pegs close in. My legs do not hit the fairing and flipping them open and closed with the tip of my boot is easily done while under way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
dwatc are you talking about the pegs that clamp on the bars (not the Aeropegs)?

I think comparing any fixed clamp on pegs to Ergo III is kinda misleading. The Ergo III are spring loaded and should be correctly compared to ****-O-Pegs IMHO.

I have ****-O-Peg GD and the RIVCO Aeropegs and the Baker Wind Wings w/lowers but not the leg wings. They all work well together for me but.....

I have 30" inseam with Aeros at mid point. You would probably want them in the forward holes and that could cause you to bang the Bakers.

In the ****-O-Pegs, you would want probably more swing and/or longer arms for your inseam. Perhaps even going to the swing out style vs. the straight up/down style that I have. More room for your longer legs and more clearance to the Bakers.

There were a set of MOPs on the classified board a while back. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/6-gl1800-classifieds-4-sale-owner/438973-****-o-pegs.html The guy that posted them is about your height so give him a note.
I'm talking about the Rivco pegs that are basically similar to the Kury's. There is no way to compare the Aeropeg to the Kury's. If I Mic-O-Pegs would work on a Hannigan I would have another set of those but they won't fit either so I'm stuck with Kury's if I want pegs. I modified the Rivco's by getting a piece of metal machined to bolt to them and let me put my short lets on the pegs but they weren't very comfortable so I ended up settling for Kury's

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I much prefer the Rivco to the Kury for quality reasons. I cut off some of the short end of a allen wrench and made a better tool for tightening the Rivco bolts. I have a pair of like new Mic o pegs for sale if any one is interested (cheap blatant plug).LOL

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I guess the Kury chrome shipped to Canada ?? is superior ‘cause I have bought LOTS of it & never had a single issue . . . ever! I am sad they are no longer in business as their designs always looked cutting edge & functional.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thanks for the Link! Nothing really for the 2018+ bike, though? It looks like all the staff + tooling jumped ship to start Gold Strike (Ciro) and are carrying on under that company, now! :shrug:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts