GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
A single wheel trailer is what I'll be pulling then an occasional cooler rack from time to time. I ordered the Bushtec, wiring harness and Isolator so guess what I'll be doing this winter?
I think that is a good choice.
Take a look at the picture of the Rivco above. It is easy to visualize how the frame attachments lock in the up/down and forward back forces. It is quite strong in that regard. However, it is also easy to visualize that the long arms of the structure offer little in the way of resistance to twisting.

The Rivco is a good hitch and has a great reputation. I'm not knocking it. I just think that it has that one element in its design that is not one of its strengths. (no pun intended.)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The Bushtec hitch is installed. I thought it was a two man job but was able to get it done without a whole lot of fuss.

·
Vendor
16,022 Posts
The Bushtec hitch is installed. I thought it was a two man job but was able to get it done without a whole lot of fuss.
Installation is not to difficult. Glad to hear you got a Bushtec ... they are more into m/c trailering than anyone.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I waffled on this for a few months on which hitch to buy for my 2017. I wanted a Bushtec and was waiting for an influx of cash. I looked at Bushtec's site and at Wing Stuff's site, who had a better price on a package deal.

But while I was waiting and looking, Wing Stuff discontinued stocking the Bushtec hitch for Gen 2 Gold Wings.

I found a NEW Kuryakyn design. It uses a horizontal draw bar instead of a vertical. Interesting but it is still using the Saddlebag sub-frame as part of its mounting and not the frame of the bike.
Kuryakyn New Hitch.jpg

I had a Kuryakyn before and it was okay for a light weight trailer. But now I have a camp trailer and I much prefer the mounting of the Bushtec. The Rivco is okay but I don't like putting a hole in the rear fender.

I ordered the Bushtec from Bushtec. I should have it on Monday.
Bushtec.jpg

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well, now that I have the Bushtec and it is installed I discovered something that is not to my liking.
I bought the hitch for its strength and multi-point mount to the frame of the bike instead of the saddlebag sub-frame.

I do like how it mounts, the powder coating is very good, the hardware bag is complete (except for the lack of a hitch pin and trailer ball) and the chrome on the draw bar is very good as well.
Getting the vertical bars between the frame and saddlebags is a bit of a chore due to the wire harness. I ended up removing the right saddlebag to facilitate this.

What I do not like is that any of my other 1-1/4" draw-bars stubs will not fit in the receiver hitch hole. I have a mini trunk and an ice chest rack that I used on my old 2003. The draw bar needs to be lengthened because of the extended fender on the 2012 - 2017 Gold Wing . No problem, I have the material and needed tools and skills. But I had expected that the stub would fit the 1-1/4" receiver. Not so. The stubs need to be 1-7/32" (31 mm) to slide into the receiver.

Now, along with lengthening the draw bar I need to grind down the stub so that it will slide into the receiver. No standard 1-1/4" square tube will fit the receiver hole. This is not a major draw back but I would have liked to have been informed before hand of this non-standard 1-1/4" type of receiver/draw bar.

I did write to Bushtec and they said "The Bushtec draw bar is milled to the 1 7/32" to make it fit inside the hitch receiver. In order for other devices to fit the Bushtec receiver you will have to grind it on two sides. This is the way that Bushtec has been making it's hitch for 37 years."

I did not know that. It is not a show stopper but it would have been nice to know this in advance.

·
Vendor
16,022 Posts
I did not know that. It is not a show stopper but it would have been nice to know this in advance.
Your right. In my case, I've only ever bought Bushtec hitches, and the different size has never been an issue for me. I know for some, it has ... if I'd remembered it, I would have mentioned it, sorry for not.

Many suppliers for the products you mentioned offer theirs product for a Bushtec hitch also. If it helps, Bushtec also makes a cooler/rack for their hitch.

·
Registered
19,891 Posts
What I do not like is that any of my other 1-1/4" draw-bars stubs will not fit in the receiver hitch hole. I have a mini trunk and an ice chest rack that I used on my old 2003. The draw bar needs to be lengthened because of the extended fender on the 2012 - 2017 Gold Wing . No problem, I have the material and needed tools and skills. But I had expected that the stub would fit the 1-1/4" receiver. Not so. The stubs need to be 1-7/32" (31 mm) to slide into the receiver.

Now, along with lengthening the draw bar I need to grind down the stub so that it will slide into the receiver. No standard 1-1/4" square tube will fit the receiver hole. This is not a major draw back but I would have liked to have been informed before hand of this non-standard 1-1/4" type of receiver/draw bar.

I did write to Bushtec and they said "The Bushtec draw bar is milled to the 1 7/32" to make it fit inside the hitch receiver. In order for other devices to fit the Bushtec receiver you will have to grind it on two sides. This is the way that Bushtec has been making it's hitch for 37 years."

They don't supply a ball mount because they have no way of knowing what you will hook up to the hitch. If you use a heim jount swivel coupling, a ball would be worthless to you. As far as I know, most hitches do not come with the coupling.

I am not all that familiar with the metals field, but I have noticed over the years that the tolerances of off the shelf steel tubing is not very good. I don't know if the trailer industry has a standards organization for this kind of stuff, but there is no doubt that one end or the other will have to be milled by someone, or the tubing will have to be custom manufactured to a specific spec. (can you say costly?)

It's hard to say who is at fault here. Vertical receivers are kind of unique to the motorcycle industry, so the cause could actually be a lack of standards within the industry. One thing I will say is that Bushtec may be claiming to do it that way for 37 years, but even they are not consistent with their sizing tolerances. My Bushtec cooler rack slides right into place, with generous slop, but my drawbar, also a Bushtec, is tight. I have to keep it lubed. Have they also been that sloppy and inconsistent with their manufacturing for 37 years?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I didn't say that anyone was at fault or that I was not happy with Bushtec. That being said, there is an industry standard for 1-1/4 inch draw bars just like there is an industry standard for a 2 inch draw bar. You can go into any auto parts store, Walmart or even Amazon and buy either or both 1-1/4 inch or 2 inch trailer hitch ball mount. Horizontal or vertical should make no difference in physical size of the draw bar stub.

Not having a ball mount included with the set up is inconsequential except, it says specifically that a "If you ordered your hitch for use with a Bushtec trailer, you will have received a receiver head with the Bushtec pin. If you ordered your hitch for use with any other trailer, you will have received your receiver head with the standard 3/4” hole along with a 1 7/8, Stainless Steel Ball w/ Stainless Steel Hardware."

Once again, not a show stopper. Just a wrinkle that needs to be ironed out. I have a feeling that they are cutting costs and have yet to modify the instruction sheet.

Their products are top notch and I am pleased with their products. I'm just not terribly happy with the need to modify my existing equipment to fit their close tolerance 1-1/4" hitch receiver.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts