GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help/opinions on the proper type laptop ? I would like to purchase a nice workable laptop to carry with us while we are traveling. It doesnt have to be the best etc. But one that I can download pics from my digital camera and save on a disk. And be able to hook up to high speed when we are at a motel. I was looking at this one ? What do ya think ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toshiba-Satellite-A ... dZViewItem

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mike L said:
I need some help/opinions on the proper type laptop ? I would like to purchase a nice workable laptop to carry with us while we are traveling. It doesnt have to be the best etc. But one that I can download pics from my digital camera and save on a disk. And be able to hook up to high speed when we are at a motel. I was looking at this one ? What do ya think ?
Hey, Mike. I see that it is a pretty raditionally sized laprop and comes in at about 6 lbs.

Sandy and I needed something to fit in with our other gear so, when I bought the Wing, I got this a Fujitsu Lifebook P1120.

http://www.transmeta.com/success/notebo ... p1120.html

It was virtually obsolete when I got it and is slow, the screen isn't good in bright sunlight and it has no CD or floppy drive. It DOES have 802.11b WiFi, two USB ports, 30GB hard drive, an Ethernet plug, a modem, touchscreen and runs XP Pro, so it does what I need (including uploading photos).

I wouldn't recommend this particular unit because it is out of date, but whole reason I got it was the size. It's only 9.1 x 6.2 x 1.36 inches and weighs 2.2 pounds. I would personally be looking for something this small next time since space is at a premium.

I do have an older Toshiba Satellite that I picked up off a lease and have been happy with it as a unit to take in the car.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Mike: I think that is probably a reasonable laptop but I'd look around a little. I might suggest you look at one of the 14.1" screen size machines to get a little smaller/lighter/cheaper. If money is important, I would sugggest you look at HPSHOPPING. They have a V3000Z that starts at $399. The basic configuation plus anit-virus software would do the job you are looking at. Including shipping (but not tax) the total is just over $500.

Two suggestions: 1.) (CRITICAL) add a good anti-virus package and keep it up-to-date and 2.) get as much memory as you can afford. The HP comes with free upgrade to 512M (same as the Toshiba)

Note: I don't work for HP but I did order one of these (upgraded a little) for my daughter for christmas.

·
Registered
550 Posts
toshiba

I have used a toshiba A-70 for about two years. It is a wide screen which is a plus for mapping software. I throw it in the trunk and carry it with me on all trips. Has built in wireless capability and seems to be pretty rugged. I don't think you can go wrong with that set up.
Only issue I have had was I just had to replace the battery after two years and they are a little pricey. Not a small laptop, but I don't tote it around, I carry it on the bike.
Good luck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That particular item is a refurb. May be ok, maybe not. I have purchased a few refurb items and had probs. For me it's not worth the fustration!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I second the smaller screen. Although the larger screens are grest while working, if you are in a plane, it will limit the amount of space you have, and if it's to big, you will not be able to open it fully if the person infront of you exercises his right to recline fully. Also my experience has been the ones with a smaller screen run longer on a battery charge then the big boys.
My wife loves her Mac laptop and she got the Lg 17" screen. It's grest once we are there, but the travel makes it a pain if i want to use it in the air or on the road. It's slim, and light, and with Mac you are not as suseptiable (sp) to viruses. Not that it's impossible, just that you are less likely to get sick. Also the conversion from Windows to Mac is a lot easier.
Buying a MAC will also get you ready to upgrade to your BMW.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Mike,
I have purchased 3 of those over the past year for the family. No problems with them. I've got 6000 "Wing" miles on my laptop so far.

In a good carrying case, it will just fit in the trunk of the wing. It does take up a fair amount of space. You could go with a thinner case I guess, but I opted for more padding for the computer.

I bought mine at "Office Depot". They were in the $550-$600 price range. I've also seen it at Wally-World for the same price. Battery life is just over 1 hour at best.

Bill

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Mike,

As a software developer, I take my laptop EVERY where I go and I rode over 40,000 miles last year with it.

If you could answer a few questions, I might be able to provide you with a few suggestions:

1) How much $$$ do you want to spend at MOST!

2) IF it breaks, can you be without it? I always purchase my notebooks with an on-site warranty but it adds ~$200 to the price.

3) Is battery life important to you?

4) Other than uploading pictures, what do want to use it for.

5) How are your eyes (vision)? I ask this because I have seen people buy the ultra compact notebooks with <= 12.1 inch screens and then they can't read them.

6) How long do you want to use it before it becomes obsolete?

BTW, I don't recommend the laptop you linked to.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShaneStump said:
Mike,

As a software developer, I take my laptop EVERY where I go and I rode over 40,000 miles last year with it.

If you could answer a few questions, I might be able to provide you with a few suggestions:

2) IF it breaks, can you be without it? I always purchase my notebooks with an on-site warranty but it adds ~$200 to the price.

5) How are your eyes (vision)? I ask this because I have seen people buy the ultra compact notebooks with <= 12.1 inch screens and then they can't read them.

Best Regards,

Shane
1. I want to get away CHEAP......LOL
2. Yes
3. Not really, but yet kinda....more than an hour
4. Basically pics and e-mail....works and maybe word will be used
5. My eye's ?......I'm starting to get old shane......LOL
6. Couple years

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Mike,

Check out Dell. My neighbor has bought three on their small business plan, giving him better prices. He does not have a licensed small business. He just made up a business name and used his home address.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mike:

This is what I do when I download my pictures from my camera. I use the small memory stick that plugs in to the usb ports. It is removable and if your computer crashes, you don't lose all your wonderful memories. If you want to see then on another computer, just plug it in if it has a usb port. Thats just my $0.02. Good luck with what you decide on.

Joe

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Mike L said:
ShaneStump said:
Mike,

Best Regards,

Shane
1. I want to get away CHEAP......LOL
2. Yes
3. Not really, but yet kinda....more than an hour
4. Basically pics and e-mail....works and maybe word will be used
5. My eye's ?......I'm starting to get old shane......LOL
6. Couple years
#1 & #6 are your limiting factors. You can get around most of the #6 by adding more memory as long as you don't buy a very slow,, old processor.

If you can wait, I would recommend you do the following:

1) Wait until notebook makers have released notebooks with Vista (next version of Windows). Should start seeing it on computers in January.

2) I would strongly recommend you visit a store like Best Buy or Circuit City and just look at the ergonomics of various notebooks (screen, keyboard, weight, size, etc).

3) Visit sites like www.cnet.com and www.notebookforums.com and search for the notebook brands / types / models you are interested in.

Don't buy the cheapest model you find without at least making sure it will work for you in every other way than price.

If I can be of any help, please PM me.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
295 Posts
My favorite travel computer is from Acer. They have a travelmate line that has quite a few offerings.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Try this link to find out about the Durabook computer:
http://www.durabook.com/
You can find these for under $850 if you look around, especially around the holidays by using http://www.dogpile.com/. You can find them with 13", 14", and 15" diagonal screen sizes, with corresponding overall computer size.

The advantage of this computer is that they are RUGGEDIZED to prevent damage and they CONFORM TO SOME PORTIONS OF MILITARY STANDARDS! I have had to replace the hard drive on my light weight Sony Vaio computer twice after taking it on a long bike ride (SCMA Three Flags and Four Corners), and I was taking extremely good care to keep it from getting damaged. I know this is more than what you want to pay, but having it survive where others might fail will probably save you money in the long run.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Mike, if your not in a big hurry I would wait until the day after Christmas. You will find killer deals between then and New Years. For what you want to use it for Microsoft XP will work just fine for years. But, most of the laptops on the market right now offer FREE Microsoft Vista upgrades when they come out at the end of January. One thing about laptops is the price never seems to go up but it is always getting lower.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey all ? Thanks You guys/gals have given me some very good idea's and what to look for. I really like the look touch feel etc. and the wait til after christmas is a great idea. Wow this board is just great, because of you all......Thanks again !........ :)

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Mike, I'm on my first owned laptop(had some from work), it's a Dell 6000...15" screen, not the best, but it's great for what I want to do with it...I take it with us every where and do what sounds like you want, download pics, look at mapsource for routes, visit the board while on a trip...email...etc...

price wasn't bad either...I like the little ones, but my old eyes ain't what they used to be :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Another thread I will be watching as I'm interested in getting a Laptop for traveling. The wide screen sounds like a good idea. I never thought about the mapping programs but I also want to keep the price down as I only need it when hoteling moteling.
(I know… no such words)

Last thing is living in Minnesota I won’t need it till May at the earliest so a good price is something I can wait for.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I faced this earlier this year - I just needed a RUGGED PC first, then the ability to be wireless and move photos from my digital camera.

I happened upon a refurbished IBM T-30 ThinkPad for $550 including case and a wireless mouse. Seeing as how I had a similar laptop for use at work, and it survived being thrown on the floor, I bought it and have not regretted it. It satisfied by requirements:

Cheap
Rugged
Basic functions for travel - Internet ready

After I got it home, I redid the whole system, called IBM support & found the file off of the IBM website to update my system, registered the PC with IBM and have been satisfied ever since.

You can still find IBM T-30 ThinkPads on the Internet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts