GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the condition of the unpaved road from US 191 just North of Dutch John Utah to the Colorado border at Brown's Park? Assuming no recent rain is it suitable to take the wing on this road?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Rapidsrider, There is no way I would take that unpaved road. Once in CO the road is paved and really good for a secondary road. The last time I was on the dirt part is wash boarded, really rough. Some places real deep powder dust. There is nothing between 191 and Maybell in the way of fuel or help. Which way are you heading? I can give you some places maybe you would want to see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info fire-151. I'm trying to ride the outlaw trail and really wanted to go through Brown's Park, one of the Wild Bunch hideouts. Sounds like if I want to see it I'll have to ride the long way around. I'm going to Deadwood friday and finishing the route in Santa Fe, going through Moab-Monument Valley-4 corners. Then Durango-silverton-Telluride-Cortez-Sante Fe. My Mom is in Eloy AZ so since I'll be that close I'm stopping to see her before heading home.
Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
310 Posts
When doing the Co. ride try and go thru Ouray not far from Silverton you won't be disappointed

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
I've only been there once. Rode in from the south, incredibly beautiful. Is it as pretty coming from the north?

While not as awe inspiring as coming into town from the south, it is a beautiful ride!

If you are in town and have not seen the Box Canyon Falls, I highly recommend a visit.

You can go in through the tourists entrance and pay the admission fee or take the perimeter trail that loops all the way around the town of Ouray (youray) and get in for free. (top secret, locals only knowledge)

Take Pinecrest dr. up to the trail and park wherever it's safe, hike through the tunnel (don't stand up too tall without your helmet) to the bridge that spans the river below you. You can walk down the stairs for a closer look, but don't forget, you'll have to climb back up!

Hopefully this link will work: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.0186329,-107.6782459,463m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

But if it doesn't, just google map it and look for the road and the trail.

Enjoy the trip, sounds like fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts