GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Has anyone ever taken on the State or City where an accident happened that was caused by faulty road conditions, pot holes, tar snakes mixed w/ rain,oil, gas, anti freeze mix, etc, and won?
Last June 3rd I came across a 30 foot long 8" wide tar snake with a 3 foot long, 3"deep crevice and other uneven pavement beneath the strip. It was raining, and the tar strip was not visable. The accident report listed me at fault,
Needless to say this is what caused me to lose control and total my '05 wing. Now my Foremost insurance has more than doubled.
Thanks,
Rich K ( Wing Ski )

·
Registered
824 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone doing that... but I'll tell you what... If I would have gone down back in Aug I would have been all over NJDOT... they thought it would be a good idea at rush hour on a 90+ degree day to test the auto de-icing sprayers on rt 78.... I hit that slippery snot and didn't have anywhere to go nor any warning it was coming.....

I was not happy....

If you do go after the DOT I wish you lots of luck...

Melissa

W

·
0 Posts
It sounds like the pothole isn’t what caused the damage, I think the swerving actually caused the damage.

WHAT ?

If the damage was caused by swerving, then wouldn't the potholes caused the swerving??????????

·
Registered
730 Posts
Many roads are safe to ride.....But I will say the repairs and maintance of them do not favor bikes at all.... Tar snakes and pot holes are the worst....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Even better, many states disavow (in law) any responsibility for the hazards they create on the roads!!! This is a crock that must be stopped. If your state tries to hide behind that law, rip them a new one please.

Not responsible, indeed!

David M.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The SO and I were in Jefferson Texas this past week and we meet a lawyer that is with the TXDOT, he was there to try a case where some one is suing the state of Texas because of a tree being over the raod after a strom and he hit the tree. :croc: :biker: :flg: :flg: :croc:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, I sued the City of Chicago around '86 for a greasy, well-worn, almost black from age giant steel repair plate right in a corner on Inner Lake Shore Drive just south of North Ave. ramp. Was night and raining. Unbelievably slick and down super-fast I went. I took pictures of it from all different views and distances. They settle out of court almost 4 yrs later. Had insurance for the $10K pin for my thumb. Wiped out on a BMW R90S. Was in college at the time, did what I could do to fix the bike (new exhaust, cafe fairing, forks, valve cover but couldn't bring myself to get a new Daytona Orange tank; pocketed the rest). Turned out to be stupid, because the bike was cherry, 18K mi. Would have been worth a lot now if it stayed in condition before accident. I think I got about $7K after lawyer took his 1/3.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I would start talking to lawers until I got one that sounded enthuiastic about taking the case and gave you a plan to win it. You may have a hard road ahead but with a little cash payout it will do wonders for your self satisfaction. There is something grand about taking the big boys to court and winning (as long as you are standing in "the light of right").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts