GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I had the luxury of being able to join in the forums where riders are getting 10,000 mile on thier tires - problem is I can't seem to keep a rear tire on long enough to put any real miles on it. Replaced two in hte past 3 months from picking up screws on the road. The last one was really fun. It was so long it went thru the bottom and out the sidewall - instant flat!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I only got 5,000 on the rear of my Kawasaki 200mm tire due to
a large screw. I am thankful it was a slow leaker.

The other week, there was a bunch of those roofing nails that have
the bright orange plastic ring around the head laying on the road
on my only way to work. (Island with one way on, one way off) They
were on the road for days, slowly disapearing. I lucked out.

Herb

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
silverado,
Which part of your lane do you ride in?
If you are riding in the center, that's why you're picking up all the little "goodies" causing punctures!
You should ride in the left center if you are riding alone or are the lead bike in a group. Ride in the right center if U are a trailing bike.
If there's more than 2 bikes then it's staggered w/1st bike in the left center, 2nd bike in the right center and so on.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nailed at 3,000. Did not leak - found while cleaning rim (ouch).

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Do try to stay in the tire track areas of the roadway and avoid those islands of drit and gravel in the intersections too. If the nails are in the meat of the tread, I plug them.

prs

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I don't know if this will be of any help or not. I check my tires at almost every gas stop. I put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the wheels checking for objects and cuts. Twice on my ST1100 I found a screw in the tire before it caused a leak. Unfortunately on my GL I have found the screw at home and it had already caused a leak. Fortunately the first was at 15000 miles and the next was at 13000. I plugged the second to try and use up the remaining miles in around town riding. I do carry a compressor and plugging kit in the compartment for the CD player. I frequently ride a long way from nowhere and a plug will get me back to somewhere.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have just a tad over 15,000 miles on my Dunlop 250's.... still have lots of rubber left.. no cupping... and NO WOBBLE....

cosmic

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
cosmic_chariot said:
I have just a tad over 15,000 miles on my Dunlop 250's.... still have lots of rubber left.. no cupping... and NO WOBBLE....

cosmic
That is just totally uncalled for! Talk about mean! :D

At 7200 miles, I was getting ready to add my third plug and decided to go new. Avon's are good so far (2300 miles).

Bartman

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
The Rackerberian said:
Nailed at 3,000. Did not leak - found while cleaning rim (ouch).

I had one exactly like that last Saturday.

W

·
0 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Do try to stay in the tire track areas of the roadway and avoid those islands of drit and gravel in the intersections too.
Good Advice !

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
All I can say is when I saw Joe's tire I immediately knocked on wood.

That sucks!!!!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts