GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on a local site here in S/E Texas and I'm just curious if there are any similarities in other area's;

I ride a motorcycle back and forth to work and I've encountered more than a few obstacles in the rode the last couple of weeks all on HWY 69 north. I usally take Hwy 73 to 69 north into Beaumont. The other morning on my way to work ( before sunrise ) I passed a rocking chair on the highway it had dark uphoistry and I didn't see it until the last minute. Several afternoons in the past week I've had to avoid 12" x 12" boxes in the road my crash bar clipped one of them. an 8' fence pole for a hurricane fence, fortunately though it was in my lane it was laying in the direction of traffic and not accross the lane, and finally I came across a pile of carpet and pads that had been removed from someones home or office. I wouldn't want to hit any of thse items in my truck much less on my bike.
During the clean up after Rita I would expect this, but a year later are we just being careless or to lazy to pick up after ourselves?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I-75 south of atlanta is always bad with road debris especially truck tire chunks.

W

·
0 Posts
David Burnett said:
I posted this on a local site here in S/E Texas and I'm just curious if there are any similarities in other area's;

I ride a motorcycle back and forth to work and I've encountered more than a few obstacles in the rode the last couple of weeks all on HWY 69 north. I usally take Hwy 73 to 69 north into Beaumont. The other morning on my way to work ( before sunrise ) I passed a rocking chair on the highway it had dark uphoistry and I didn't see it until the last minute. Several afternoons in the past week I've had to avoid 12" x 12" boxes in the road my crash bar clipped one of them. an 8' fence pole for a hurricane fence, fortunately though it was in my lane it was laying in the direction of traffic and not accross the lane, and finally I came across a pile of carpet and pads that had been removed from someones home or office. I wouldn't want to hit any of thse items in my truck much less on my bike.
During the clean up after Rita I would expect this, but a year later are we just being careless or to lazy to pick up after ourselves?
Dave,

From my earlier years of watching westerns from Texes, wasn't it cowboys and indians that we had to watch out for down there???..........just pulln' your chain.

Yeah your right about the garbage that litters our highways now days.
You never want to let your guard down especially at dawn, night and at dusk.
Don't know if it's because of more people buying pick-ups and not securing their load or what.
I switched lanes the other day on a Milwaukee freeway, after a construction truck lost his aluminum ladder. Lucky for me the traffic was light and I seen it ahead of time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was on my way to work a few weeks ago, heading South on HWY 75 towards Dallas, I was going the posted 85 mph and didn't see the tire tread from an 18 wheeler laying across my lane until it was too late, I just tightened my grip and hoped for the best, It hit my lower front cowl with the sound of a 12 guage shotgun, but I stayed up.
There are, and this is an estimate, at least 3 to 5 of those tire treads (I have heard them called Highway Gators) per mile here in north Texas.
Is this because of the rigs running the re-treads ?
You see more of them when it is really hot out, July and August.

Another good one, I was riding in the right lane one evening, on my way home from work, and I noticed a pickup with some patio chairs and table in the back.
one of the chairs was lifting up from the wind, all of a sudden, it shot up and out of the truck, I dodged hard right and excellerated to avoid it.
I looked back in my rear view and saw it hit the highway just about where I was riding in the lane, and saw another of the chairs come out of the truck, it hit on the center line and bounced up and onto the front of the car that was behind him, they all started pulling over at that point.
Point is: 5 minutes saved by not securing those items could have easily cost me my life or worse.

Ride Safely 8)
Ride as if Everyone on the road is out to get you.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
David Burnett said:

I have written HWY69 quite often for the past 5 years going back & forth from BCS to New Orleans and I have never had a problem (including AFTER Hurricane Rita). Could it be a dump trunk convention was in town :lol: ?

Best regards,

Shane

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
David Burnett said:

I live in southeast Texas and I feel your pain. On everything from the interstate to country roads this is becoming more and more of a problem. My only suggestion is to stay alert and leave a good space cushion between you and the vehicle your behind. I know this isn't always possible and many drivers will try to pass you and fill in the gap especially anywhere near Houston.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are too many people who do not secure items in their pickup trucks. Good advice to tie furniture, bedding, or other ill fitting items goes unheeded until they too learn the hard way...losing items on the road. I witnessed the shocking aftermath of a lounge chair against a Mustang's front end! Of course the negligent owner/transporter was no where to be found. :cry:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Watch out for pinecones in those twisty, mountain roads. Coming down a mountain one day on my Sportster (pre wing days) I was being lazy and not paying too much attention to anything but the scenery, when my front tire connected with a flattened pinecone on the asphalt on a corner...skidding about three feet until it slid off and connected back up to the asphalt. I paid real close attention to the ROAD after that. You never know what will bite you really, sometimes until i'ts too late.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I travel a lot through the San Joaquin Valley and other agricultural areas of California where a lot of migrant workers are employed. When they move from one location to another they load up their trucks like the Beverly Hillbillys and off they go. You find more junk on the back roads then you will find at a flea market or yard sale. Oh well, I'm getting good at slalom runs on the bike.

·
Registered
596 Posts
In Arkansas the loss of part of your load is usually preceded with someone poking on it and uttering "That ain't goin' nowhere." :wink:

The weirdest thing I've ever seen in the road was a piano. It was a full-sized upright and looked like it was pretty much totaled from the drop, but nobody had hit it. It was being guarded by a highway department truck with lights, and a State Trooper had just pulled up with his lights going.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The oddest thing I ever ran across was an oil pan off a motor. It was winter time about 3 in the morning and the dark colored oil pan just looked like a fenderburg (chunk off ice from a car fender) that had fallen off a car. When I hit it it made a loud noise and strange sounds all the way from the front to the back of my F-150. About a half mile down the road I spotted a fuel pump. Since then I have seen everything from clothing to washers and dryers to full sized sofas.

·
Registered
399 Posts
YellowStreak, Its not always retreads. Usually the tires come apart because they are underinflated which causes them to run hotter. Couple that with searing hot pavement tempuratures and "BAM" You can tell a truck tire is about to blow if your riding anywhere near it though. It will sound like the driver is hitting the Bott dots between the highway lanes but hes not hitting them. A bubble forms in the tire before it seperates and that is the thumping sound you hear. :shock:

When I worked in the Desert we would send the crew out every Friday during the summer just to pick up rubber. We would easily fill 2 4yd dump trucks.

Caltrans used to have a demonstration house in San Diego. It was a Right of Way purchase for Freeway expansion. The local Caltrans crew completely furnished the house right down to Beds, linens, dressers, coffee and end tables, ladders lawn mower, car, motorcycle and boat in the garage.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was going the posted 85 mph
Is this because of the rigs running the re-treads ?

Yellow,you need to stop the bike and get off the road now,go directly to the eye doctor....There is no posted 85mph speed limits in Texas,second part,it is now illegal to run retreads on trucks in Texas if not the whole nation.Those are new tires blowing out and losing their treads,third point,on all the roads you guys are talking about at certain times of the day I wouldn't try to recover my dropped wallet from these roads.My sister -in-law stopped one day for a 2x6 laying across her lane and was in a 5 car pile up.That was on I-20 in the metro-plex.Its hell sometimes got to keep on your toes all the time.John

·
Registered
399 Posts
jfrazjr....I don't know about Texas but I believe most states allow retreads on all but Steering Axels....No states allow retreads on buses. I pretty sure.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Worst I've seen was a crushed scrap car (yes a whole car only 12 inch high) in the middle of the highway a long time ago.

That would leave a mark!!!

Patrick

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
around the Phoenix AZ metro area....... the last few days of the month and first week of the month are the heavy times for furniture on the roads.

People seem to move alot around here. And tie nothing down it seems

:shock:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
On my way to Wing Ding last July, north of Atlanta about 7:00 AM on I-75 I came across a "Tandem Wheel Assembly" off a tractor-trailer. It was laying right smack in the middle of the left lane. No one else around. I looked at every semi I passed for the next two hours to see if it was missing any wheels! :shock:

I also came across a "Scotts fertilizer spearder" once.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I saw a wheel coming at me in my lane from a Mobile home. Pretty spooky. It was running right along side the mobile home. Only it was on my side of the line.

I also saw a Chevy Suburban once that had been hit square in the middle by a wheel that came off a semi. It totaled the Suburban

·
Registered
652 Posts
St Louis is the worst area I've encountered in my travels. After being hit by a 6 inch iron pipe coupling last summer on my trip west causing $2000 worth of damage I avoided the city westward this year. On the way back however I did come through there. We were lucky to swerve at the last minute to avoid a soccer net and steel frame in the middle lane and about 5 minutes later barely missed a 3 foot high X 6 foot wide piece of corrugated plastic that could have been a drain pipe coupling standing or some piece of drainage stuff on edge in the middle lane. Glad it was Saturday and not too crowded on the road. I will give the city a wide berth from now on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts