GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on radio yesterday of road in Arizona, I think that has over 400 switch backs in 90 miles...I didn't catch the name or locaton of this road. Can someone help out with the location.

Thanks...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
They are correct....Old 666 is the new 191 "The Coronado Trail." From Morinci/Clifton to Alpine is 95 miles of beautiful road, vistas and elevation in excess of 9000' at Hannigan Meadow. Make sure you gas up in Morinci as the next gas is Hannigan Meadow (if they have some) or the Maverick station in Alpine. Just North of Morinci, stop at the view point and see the largest working open pit copper mine in the world. Weather can be "different" along the route....from 100+ in Morinci to thunder storms w/hail 30 miles up the road. WATCH FOR ELK ON THE HIGHWAY, especially in the early morning. Might consider lunch at the Bear Wallow Cafe in Alpine.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I was fortunate enough to attend a GL1800 gathering in Prescott,AZ. in Oct. of 09' called Red Rock Ride. Met a lot of great folks from this board during that gathering,after meeting and chatting with "Oldguy"Wayne and "Wingnutz"Dave from this board during a group dinner is where I learned about Hwy 191 :thumbup:
So of course being that close I had to add another day to that trip to experience Hwy 191 and let me say it was well worth man oh man!!! what a ride!!!
If I remember mountain elevations ranging from 5000-8000 feet above sea level the scenery was unforgettable in that 95 mile stretch of over 400 plus switchbacks,it's very desolate there no service of any kind even cell phone reception.
Here's a pic. I took while riding Hwy 191 in AZ.

Here's a short and shaky video I did in 09' with my Cannon camera riding through Hwy 191 on Illusion Blue pulling my TimeOut camper,sure wish I would've had my GoPro then.
The ride was a Blast!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Here's the route, for Hwy-191:
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=E+Main+St&daddr=33.44827,-109.36354+to:AZ-78+W&hl=en&sll=33.561995,-109.338684&sspn=1.860638,3.56781&geocode=FXTWCAIdvG58-Q%3BFU5h_gEdrD57-Snj1gkOSMUnhzEvqwzf65eLEA%3BFQQI9wEdbqJ9-Q&vpsrc=0&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=9&via=1&t=m&z=9

Yes, 191 is one of the best rides in the country!

If you go north to south, then suggest staying in Springerville at Reed's Lodge (http://www.k5reeds.com/ )... a good cheap location, within walking distance of restaurants.

The Morcini Mine tour is Excellent!... costs only about $10, and takes 4hrs.

Be cautious of Semi's illegally using the road, and taking up the entire road in the hair pin turns... They get stuck on the raod and can't turn around. We got run off the road twice in a mile!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That looks awesome. Would love to do it sometime.

Actually it is 190 miles long .... because the road is completely different in each direction

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wish they wouldn't talk about stuff like that on the radio. I'd hate for tourists to find out about it.

When I first rode the Durango to Ouray run 30 or so years ago there was hardly any traffic. Then came the national rent-a-car TV ad. Now there are more RVs than bikes and it's a constant traffic jam.

By the way, my avatar pic was taken on 191.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just rode it this week. Beautiful road. I admit I was glad when the turns finally ended.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts