GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Road paint, is it getting more slippery?

Not too sure about the no snow states, but where the plows roam and the de-icing chemicals flow I had another unintentional "mini-slider" this afternoon.

I have long been aware road paint is a wee bit slippery especially when wet and could be just a few too many coincidences this season but I think road paint is getting more slippery.

Anyone in the stripe painting business or road and traffic engineering know if I am getting paranoid or perhaps some truth to this?

Are they starting to use epoxy based paint mixes or something else in the road paint brew?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Don't know about changes in paint but there are many places that are using a plastic sheet type if marking (they heat it to get it to stick) and those can also be very slick.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I noticed when the repainting of street marking was done a short time back I had a slip going over one and never had that happen before.:eek:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thermoplastic is being used more often - for reasons of durabiilty. You can get a couple of addition years of use without reapplication as compared to traditional paints. However, it is slicker than hot chicken grease on your hand when turning a stuck doorknob when new and damp. And, based upon what I've seen (and I work as a traffic engineer), most agencies care little for the potential impact to scoot riders - even as compared to bicycle riders.

I can't say that there's a causal relationship, but glass microbeads are used (for reflectivity of the striping) quite often, too.

For environmental reasons, I ve heard, the chemicals in paint mixtures have had to change.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
If you are familiar with I Street as it approaches 15th Avenue in Anchorage, I can tell you the white stripes were slick in the '70s for a bike pushing the envelope uphill around the "Ess" curve.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info Daylight and Scooby. I might not be getting paranoid afterall.

I will look into wheather they have started using thermoplastics up here recently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts