GL1800Riders Forums banner

141 - 143 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would disagree with it being illegal to pass on the right. I think the actual rule states something to the effect, if there is sufficient pavement/roadway to make the pass of a left turning vehicle. I know it is a legal action in Arkansas.

Regarding the original posters question, it reminds me of an old saying, "don't wrestle with a pig in the mud, all you do is get muddy, the pig likes it" ;)
The laws differ in every state. Point of this though is dealing with a whaco!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Here’s a follow up to my original post. Last Friday about 15 miles south on the same highway where my incident occurred, a lady was stopped to make a left turn and she was rear ended and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was killed. Four other people also went to the hospital. So, to those of you who said I should have sat patiently behind the guy who was turning left, I say I think not! It only takes a second for a distracted driver to make a mistake like this and a lady ended up dying because of it.
We Americans are a "RULES FOLLOWING" society. One aspect of learning to ride in most countries in South America, is that there are rules, but the most important rule is, don't get in accidents and don't get killed. Sometimes, the best alternative is to ignore the law and do the best thing to prevent harm. It's called individual responsibility. That I will take responsibility for my own safety and those around me. It was refreshing that I didn't have to put myself in harms way, simply because of a rule or law that didn't apply optimally to the specific situation I found myself in. I am not sure many Americans will understand this perspective and seem to always want to argue the law. But after the accident, you may be dead and the law is only there to establish blame.

Don't misunderstand me, in most cases the laws are there because it makes sense and is the most reasonably safe alternative. But it's a mistake to think every law is always the best choice in every situation.

I am glad this didn't happen to you!

141 - 143 of 143 Posts