GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RANT:
Who's idiotic idea was it to spot-fix road surfaces but throwing a gallon of tar down and covering it with pea gravel?
The morons that do this obviously have no concern for motorcyclists' safety and /or they don't ride or have something against motorcyclists in general :evil: :evil: :evil:.
Last night the S.O. and myself were out for a nice ride. We were going to make a right turn onto a nice country road, had a nice smooth rounded turn, nothing sharp. I was going about 15 to 20 to take the turn when all of a sudden there was about a half inch of this pea gravel everywhere. I didn't see it until I was into it and immediately felt the instability and stopped leaning into the turn and straightened out. Good thing there wasn't a car in the other half of the road lane as I needed t space to slow down and gain better traction (I know, my fault for not deing more aware).
My question is: Is there any motorcycling group (AMA, A.B.A.T.E., etc.) lobying with local/state departments of transportation to put a halt to this dangerous activity?
This kind of road "repairs" has got to stop!

Steve F

·
Registered
693 Posts
What's even worse is that there were probably 2 men doing the work with 4 watching!

My favorite is up North in the Summer when they chip seal the roads.

Nothing like fresh gravel to ride on...

·
Outta Here by M2
1 Posts
The road in front of my house is tar and chip. In the Summer, the tar comes to the top, creating a big gooey tar snake. The county highway department morons think that the way to fix it is to spread an inch of fine gravel over the surface, using the back gate of a dump truck. Sometimes it's half inch, sometimes 2 inches. It stays that way for about a month until local traffic packs it all down. Luckily, I have only a half mile to get to an asphalt road.

John

·
Registered
5,920 Posts

This kind of road "repairs" has got to stop!

Steve F
I don't disagree with the danger point but if we stop this kind of road repair what kind of repair do we replace it with?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Steve F,

You need to personally contact the highway department---local or state---responsible for the repair. Tell them the exact location and the fact that this type repair might fix the road but is very dangerous to motorcyclists. A phone call is good but a letter, especially as a follow up, to the head of the department is better as it becomes a formal record of the complaint. By telling them about this type problem, you will be helping yourself as well as other motorcyclists.

Natuarally a blurp on the local TV showing the actual gravel on the road might help get something done.

Yes the AMA does work on this type of thing but you have to understand they need your help. The AMA does not have the money or resources to deal with local problems all over the USA. They can provide you with guidance and assistance but they need your help to carry on the fight. Contact them at: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/getinvolved Or call them at: (800) 262-5646 or (614) 856-1900

But remember the AMA can offer great suggestions and perhaps even some insight of who to call but you need to make the calls.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve F,

You need to personally contact the highway department---local or state---responsible for the repair. Tell them the exact location and the fact that this type repair might fix the road but is very dangerous to motorcyclists. A phone call is good but a letter, especially as a follow up, to the head of the department is better as it becomes a formal record of the complaint. By telling them about this type problem, you will be helping yourself as well as other motorcyclists.

Natuarally a blurp on the local TV showing the actual gravel on the road might help get something done.

Yes the AMA does work on this type of thing but you have to understand they need your help. The AMA does not have the money or resources to deal with local problems all over the USA. They can provide you with guidance and assistance but they need your help to carry on the fight. Contact them at: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/getinvolved Or call them at: (800) 262-5646 or (614) 856-1900

But remember the AMA can offer great suggestions and perhaps even some insight of who to call but you need to make the calls.
Excellent advice. I'm of the type that thinks I'm the little ant in the corner of the room that nobody gaives a hoot about, and my gripes will get tossed aside with the junk mail. We need to have a larger voice, like you said maybe contacting the local news media about this may help.
Or perhaps having a politician that rides go to battle for us.

·
Registered
641 Posts
In 2006 a friend on a road star and me on my st 1300,did the cabit trail.We went east to west (counterclockwise),we were almost to the end when we came on construction.The morons had tared both lanes no gravel on it yet and directed us to go.By the time we reached the end my bike (and his) was covered in tar,and my front wheel was jamming up.Years later i was still finding and removing tar!!!!!!!:eek:4:

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I don't disagree with the danger point but if we stop this kind of road repair what kind of repair do we replace it with?
Agreed :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, ok. IF they can't find a suitable replacement to repair the road, then how about having them go out and sweep up the intersections. OR maybe they don't do this type of repair within 300 feet of an intersection. The loose pea gravel gets sluffed off to the side of the road, and accumulates in the intersections into piles.
To me, this type of repair to a roadway is pure negligence.

Rant over.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts