GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a little personal tale I tell for everyone's perusal and amusement.

As most of my riding buddies on the board know, I am an ATTGATT (all the gear, all the time) guy. For me I am much more comfortable riding with what I think is the best protective gear I can afford to buy, whether it's hot or cold outside. It actually adds to my enjoyment of riding.

Well, I took a 14 mile ride on Sunday and didn't wear ATTGATT. For protection I wore only sturdy shoes, a helmet and some fingerless gloves. At the end of the ride I fell off and hit the pavement hard, scraping up my left arm and leg. I now have road rash and have to say it's pretty uncomfortable.

"Why would you 'preach ATGATT' all the time and then go out and ride without it?" you might ask.

Well, I was on my BICYCLE, not my GoldWing. I was doing only about 6-7 mph in the parking lot making circles in the parking lot where our car was, waiting for my wife to get there at the end of the ride. I was peddling while turning, and the peddle hit the pavement. The bike instantly low-sided and landed me on my butt.

My point: Even a low-speed fall can result in a painful injury.

It only took an instant to happen, but I'm gonna have a couple of weeks of discomfort to remind me of how painful a skin-chewing injury can be.

Come to your own conclusion.

By the way, had I been on my Wing and taken the same fall, I would be OK because I would've had my gear on. ;)

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injury Bob. My guess it makes treating patients uncomfortable. My sympathies.

·
Registered
806 Posts
HMMMMM !! I thought you ATGATT guys wore it ALL THE TIME even to bed at night. :joke: Hope you heal quickly.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HMMMMM !! I thought you ATGATT guys wore it ALL THE TIME even to bed at night. :joke: Hope you heal quickly.
Usually I wear it all the time, even at work, but the bicycle ride caught me at a weak point. :joke:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nobody ever told ya that draggin' your pegs could lead to an accident? Sounds like ya need more practice with your slow parking lot manuvers for sure :wrong: ! I hear that second gear makes it easier too:thumbup:!

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Thanks for the post, Bob. It illustrates your point very well.

Brought a smile to my face though. You go down while dragging a peg in a cul-de-sac.:lol:

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
Sorry to hear of your injury Bob. My guess it makes treating patients uncomfortable. My sympathies.
Yea nothing like getting a root canal by a Dentist who has festering, scabbing bloody wounds and his arms, hands and FINGERS!!! AHHHHHHHHH

For once I am glad I don't feel your pain.. OUCH!!

Get well soon!

Matt(BCNV)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nope, not much “give” to those paved surfaces. And, unhappily, those kinds of “incidents” always sort-a……seem to sneak-up on me—like, when I least expect ‘em.
Glad to hear that no bones were broken. It was good seeing ya again at FCF.:biker:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Come on Matt, that's the fun part when you can pay back the patients for all the crud they bring in.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Come on Matt, that's the fun part when you can pay back the patients for all the crud they bring in.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Wayne - that's the fun part of the job? Sick, twisted, and demented... :eek:4:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
MAYBE you are OLD & READY for a TRIKE :eek:4: :cry: :evil: :22yikes: :eek: :confused::tongue: :yes1:

:wrong: :wrong:

sorry robeth!!!!! he he he he he he he he Hope you heal quick!!!!!!chuck

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Glad you had your helmet on. I lost a friend from a fall on a bicycle, not wearing a helmet. He was an intern in emergency medicine at University Hospital some years ago. Thankfully he died almost instantly.:-:)wrong:

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
Bob, just tell all of your patients that those were war injuries. For heavens sake, don't tell them you fell off of your bicycle in a culdesac. Hope you heal fast.

Ken

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Nobody ever told ya that draggin' your pegs could lead to an accident? Sounds like ya need more practice with your slow parking lot manuvers for sure :wrong: ! I hear that second gear makes it easier too:thumbup:!
Sounds more like Bob needs more practice entering and exiting curves. If he scraped his pegs, he must have had a bad line entering the curve. ;)

Heal up quick Bob! Cats-Cade is only a few weeks away and you need to be primed and ready!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Robeth:

I'm a cyclist also. My wife and I ride a tandem, and have hit speeds in excess of 50 mph (downhill, of course). I never thought much about it until I satrted riding a motorcyle, on which I follow the ATGATT credo. It sure got me thnking about how at risk I am on my bicycle, and as you have just demonstrated, sometimes moreso than on the motorcycle!

I wish you a speedy recovery, and remember to keep the rubber side down.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts