GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the weather is going to be nice this week. I live in East Tennessee and plan on taking a small trip to Northern Georgia for a couple days---Any suggestions for good rides and roads? Many thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
pretty much any road north of a line from Rome to Dahlonega to Toccoa, a good loop from Dahlonega is hwy 60 north to Skennah Gap Rd to old hwy76 to Blairesville then 129 south to hwy 180 west back to 60 to Dahlonega, or you can go east on 180 to hwy347 (Richard Russel Scenic Hwy) to alt 75 and go left into Helen. hwy's 136,197,180, 60,129 52,53, all are great mc roads. Have fun

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pretty much any road north of a line from Rome to Dahlonega to Toccoa, a good loop from Dahlonega is hwy 60 north to Skennah Gap Rd to old hwy76 to Blairesville then 129 south to hwy 180 west back to 60 to Dahlonega, or you can go east on 180 to hwy347 (Richard Russel Scenic Hwy) to alt 75 and go left into Helen. hwy's 136,197,180, 60,129 52,53, all are great mc roads. Have fun
Hey, man...thanks..looking forward to seeing your great state.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes this is a great road to ride, if its been raining recently watch the road as a lot of sand and gravel can wash onto the road especially around the corners... Just ride carefully and expect to enjoy this route.. its a great one for sure!

Stewart TwoWheelonly

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this is a great road to ride, if its been raining recently watch the road as a lot of sand and gravel can wash onto the road especially around the corners... Just ride carefully and expect to enjoy this route.. its a great one for sure!

Stewart TwoWheelonly
Thanks for the headsup.

·
Registered
899 Posts
In addition to sand on the roads, watch out for the tar snakes. Lots and lots of them, especially on hwy 75 going south into Helen. If you take 180 east, rather than turn right onto 347 (Richard Russell Parkway) go straight over to Brasstown Bald and then to hwy 75. Both routes are good however.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In addition to sand on the roads, watch out for the tar snakes. Lots and lots of them, especially on hwy 75 going south into Helen. If you take 180 east, rather than turn right onto 347 (Richard Russell Parkway) go straight over to Brasstown Bald and then to hwy 75. Both routes are good however.

One of the advantages of riding a trike is that many road hazards are reduced--thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
210 Posts
there is no right or wrong road in N. ga. that's why I live here. keep the gas tank full and just keep turning on every small black top road you find. when your worn out and totally lost use the GPS to find civilization again and start all over again. do ride to the top of Brass town bald. Bring your national park pass. Great cigar stop. about 2-3 miles N up 129 from where 180 turns East off of 129 to go to Brass town is Jim's smoking Q. best BBQ brisket and turkey you will ever find and cheap. open Thur-Sat. I wish I was close enough to go every week.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there is no right or wrong road in N. ga. that's why I live here. keep the gas tank full and just keep turning on every small black top road you find. when your worn out and totally lost use the GPS to find civilization again and start all over again. do ride to the top of Brass town bald. Bring your national park pass. Great cigar stop. about 2-3 miles N up 129 from where 180 turns East off of 129 to go to Brass town is Jim's smoking Q. best BBQ brisket and turkey you will ever find and cheap. open Thur-Sat. I wish I was close enough to go every week.
And now I'm starting to get hungry :thumbup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
You better be hungry at Jim's, his sandwiches are big enough to feed 2 or 3 people There is also a restaurant at Turners Corner, where 19 and 129 meet, the best rubens around, just ask for the supreme, it's not on the menu

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys---I just got back from a couple days riding in Northeast Georgia and had a great time. Great state, great roads. Thanks for all the suggestions--they were spot on. :thumbup:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Glad you had a good time, you couldn't have picked a better week, the weather was perfect, cool at night and warm and sunny in the days

1 - 12 of 12 Posts