GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have a good solution for keeping road salt from pitting the 1800 rims, other than having them chromed. I have used a clear undercoating from a local auto store on my 1500 rims, but was not real pleased with the results. :roll:

·
Registered
385 Posts
paint them

Take the rims to an autobody shop and have them painted clearcoat. This is what Honda should have done in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Road Salt

Yeah, Leave your good ride at home and take the cage out in the salt. I destroyed the rims on my GL1500 by riding on salted roads. The pits were so deep there was no way to polish them out

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just powder coated my wheels and rotors to match my orange 02. They have three coats of silver, and than two more coats of copper on top. Their bullet proof with normal care.

Marc

·
Registered
787 Posts
Marc, I'd love to see pictures if you have any!!! :p :!:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Bill,
I just put the wheels on yesterday and haven’t had a chance to photography them yet.
Tomorrow is the toy run in South Florida and I’ll have my digital camera with me.
I’ll get a shot or two and post them tomorrow night.

Marc

S

·
0 Posts
Heated garage and a cover works for me - bummer though :(

Mothers wheel polish really works if you decide not to powder coat. I have not been a fan of clear coat as it works fine for a while then yellows or chips then it is tough to remove and clean up. I have tried it on privious aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here’s a picture of my powder coated wheel. It looks some what different when the light hits it at different angles. I’m pleased with them, and it’s going to save me a lot of time not having to polish for hours at a time.

Marc

·
Registered
787 Posts
Marc, thanks for posting the picture. Your wheels look great! I might consider having mine done as an alternative to chrome. Who did the work for you and what was the turn around time?

Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wouldn’t recommend the company that powder coated my wheels to my worst enemy. It took three weeks when they promised it would be done in a week, and their was more,much more than I care to explain here. Find a local company that comes recommended by people you can trust.

My wheels were done with a silver base and a translucent layer of copper over it. It normally takes one coat of silver and one coat of copper, maybe two if you want a different finished effect. My wheels were done with 5 coats in total, more than what was necessary if it would have been done right the first time, enough said. Oh the rotors, that’s another store.

It finally came out to my liking, but I paid the price in money and time.
It should cost you between $ 125 to 150 a wheel to have them done by a competent company.

Marc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts