GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in South Carolina so I don't see salt on the roads very often. I just purchased my new wing two weeks ago. The weather has been bad so I haven't had a chance to ride it much. I took it out for a ride a few days ago. Went up to the North Carolina Mountains. The roads were dry mostly with an occasion wet spot. The roads had been salted a few days before. Rode about 102 miles on these roads. After the ride, I rinsed the bike off and wiped it down. Today, I noticed the underside of the engine looked dirty. When I wiped it down, what came off was large flakey pieces which would crumble in your hand. IS this road salt deposits?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Yes it is..
Up here in Wisconsin and I'm sure many other states that use salt or a salt/sand mix, we don't ride during the winter.
Oh, I'm sure some do, but it will ruin your wing with corrosion.
Check your rims too.

·
Registered
386 Posts
YUP!! Salt!

Rinse, rinse rinse rinse and rinse again.

When it rains for the first time, STAY OFF THE ROADS!!!

Let it rain a few times then you can safely go out without the fear of salt residue on the roads.

I won't ride if they have salted the roads........ in the south with the heat and humidity, salt will raise havoc so much quicker.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Yes, More than likely, The salt & wet is trying to create a battery out of your wing. Scrub it off best you can with soap & water. Salt & alum + wet will create eletrolysiss and do damage to alum and especally to electrical points on the engine like ground connections!!! Just the salt air along the coast here in Fla. does a lot of damage to MC's. And nowadays they are adding all sorts of crap to salt on the roads to try to make it work better on the roads, no telling what kinda crap the have it mixed with.... Best to stay off roads untill it has been washed off of them. Spring is coming, just hang in there!!!! or trailer down to Fla., For "Bike Week", and have a ball!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Road salt is very hard on aluminum wheels. You need to get it off and polish them up before corrosion starts pitting them. Salt is hard on any aluminum really, but the wheels are probably the most visible. I don't ride here in NJ until the winter salt is all washed away by rain. I think the wheels on your 2014 have a clear coating on them, but I wouldn't trust it to protect them for too long.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I take a totally different view. Ride Ride Ride. When your bike gets coated with salt, chemicals, and grime it will affect the finish over a long period of time... so does the hot sun in the summer. You can either live in fear and enjoy what you purchased the bike for less, or just ride every chance you get and rinse off the bike. You only get to enjoy the motorcycle experience for one lifetime, so stop worrying and ride!
:yes1: :biker:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that was enough to scare this old southern boy. Bike only as 102 miles on it. I just went out and scrubbed the wheels and underside from front to back with soapy water, then rinsed with clean water. Looks clean again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it happens

I'm with Gary, I bought mine to ride, cars you follow can throw stuff up off the road, part of the deal. Get on it, ride it!!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Go for it and ride in the salt.
But don't come back and complain you get low dollar when you trade it in.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I take a totally different view. Ride Ride Ride. When your bike gets coated with salt, chemicals, and grime it will affect the finish over a long period of time... so does the hot sun in the summer. You can either live in fear and enjoy what you purchased the bike for less, or just ride every chance you get and rinse off the bike. You only get to enjoy the motorcycle experience for one lifetime, so stop worrying and ride!
:thumbup::thumbup: +1 Ride it like you stole it! Ok...if you really worried about the salt...check Salt-Away. Gets rid of and helps keep salt off.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
My 02 wing has been ridden on a LOT of salty roads in the past 422,000 miles , many times the yellow wing has looked about half gray after a winter ride, plenty of folks tell me it still looks new, of course I have a nice garage and usually make sure to wash it good within a week or so of a salty ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm an old "Hot Rodder" and "Motorhead" I will ride in any weather or condition, but it will be cleaned as soon as I get a chance. 40 years in Industrial maintenance taught me cleanliness is an important part of maintenance.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That would be my guess. Unfortunely, here in upstate NY, they use literally tons of salt (per road mile). I put my bike away when the DOT spreads the salt for the first time (a few years ago that was January 8th!), and I don't take it back out until we've had two HEAVY spring rains. I know, that might be overkill, but I don't want to be chasing down some electrical gremlin during the riding season. Every January when we have a few warm days, I always see bikes out trailing a cloud of white dust behind them. I just simply will not expose my machine to that much salt.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Mopar

How the heck are you?

Haven't seen you since the ride to Aunt Sues with Hardcase ,Yoman, Granpa J, Mid life crises ,Mindflyer,Katwoman
and to many others for this old phart to remember

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Well I guess that would work if you don't hang on to your bikes for very long. Up here, our roads are solid white from salt. Observe a freeway from a distance, and you can see a constant cloud over the whole area.

It isn't just a matter of cosmetic damage. Salt dust gets everywhere. It gets up under your seat. It gets up above the engine where all your electonics are. And it gets in all your mechanical linkages and nuts and bolts. It gets inside connectors and switches too. Cars are built to withstand harsh environments. Motorcycles are not. They have virtually no corrosion inhibitors and very little protection from the elements.

You can never clean it all off, and over time, you will just end up with an unreliable bike that is prone to failure. You can bet that many of the failures we see on this board are the result of the conditions people ride in. (but it's always Honda's fault) It's the only thing that would explain why some people seem to have problem after problem, yet others go on year after year without any failures. But hey, at least they had fun while the bike was still running, right?

Like most things, getting caught in some salty roads once in awhile isn't going to hurt anything. But ignoring it and just riding in that crap year after year takes its toll. Rain does the same thing, although to a lesser extent. I've worked on 8 year old customer bikes that are so badly degraded that hardly anything works right. It's a wonder they even run. Yet the next bike, with nearly the same miles, looks pristine throughout.

If you trade your bike in every few years, I guess you can let the next sap worry about your indiscretions.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gr8phun, Hey man!! I doing good. getting older so I can't complain. Health has been an issue. Been riding Harleys for several years. decided to come back to Hondas. Those were some of the best riding days I ever experienced. sure would like to see the old group again.

·
Love The DCT
11,810 Posts
Well I guess that would work if you don't hang on to your bikes for very long. Up here, our roads are solid white from salt. Observe a freeway from a distance, and you can see a constant cloud over the whole area.

It isn't just a matter of cosmetic damage. Salt dust gets everywhere. It gets up under your seat. It gets up above the engine where all your electonics are. And it gets in all your mechanical linkages and nuts and bolts. It gets inside connectors and switches too. Cars are built to withstand harsh environments. Motorcycles are not. They have virtually no corrosion inhibitors and very little protection from the elements.

You can never clean it all off, and over time, you will just end up with an unreliable bike that is prone to failure. You can bet that many of the failures we see on this board are the result of the conditions people ride in. (but it's always Honda's fault) It's the only thing that would explain why some people seem to have problem after problem, yet others go on year after year without any failures. But hey, at least they had fun while the bike was still running, right?

Like most things, getting caught in some salty roads once in awhile isn't going to hurt anything. But ignoring it and just riding in that crap year after year takes its toll. Rain does the same thing, although to a lesser extent. I've worked on 8 year old customer bikes that are so badly degraded that hardly anything works right. It's a wonder they even run. Yet the next bike, with nearly the same miles, looks pristine throughout.

If you trade your bike in every few years, I guess you can let the next sap worry about your indiscretions.
While cars may be designed for a harsh environment, you don't see very many 10 yr old vehicles running around without some signs of corrosion caused by the mix of chemicals used in the wintertime. You're right, when the roads finally dry off, the surface is white and lots of dust is generated and it looks like fog around here. That dust goes everywhere and you will never get every bit of it off the bike. :doorag:

·
Registered
994 Posts

Totally agree!That sh*t(salt spray) gets everywhere and short of dismembering the bike completely you will never get the stuff off and it will start eating away immediately.I keep my stuff way too long to take a chance and I hope I never end up with a bike that's been ridden in salt.You can pretty up the outside,but it be there where you can't see it eating away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts