GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of up keep is there on a trike? Do they need more attention than a bike? Do things wear out faster?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
In my case I don't think so. I ride a Gen II Hannigan with 85K on it and the only thing I've done to it other than oil changes, plugs, brakes etc. is I lost a wheel bearing on the right rear. I have no idea why. I still have the original fork seals and on my '09 two wheeler I had to replace those twice.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I have the Roadsmith (two yrs old) on my 2010 Goldwing............I lift up the rear end, (High enough) to shoot a couple shots of grease into the grease zirks, on the drive shaft, twice a season, OR if I know that I'm going to go on a couple thousand mile ride... WARNING : [BE SURE TO USE JACKSTANDS UNDER EACH SHOCK!!!]

Ronnie

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have well over 100,000 miles of trike ownership on the two trike's I've owned. Neither of them required an exceptional amount of TLC. I did the same winter maintenance as I've done on my two wheel bikes plus a bit more attention to the trike specific components. Getting the trike up off the ground enough to get under it is one of the biggest challenges. I like many others have figured out how to get that done. :) Proper lube and proper timing are important. The Roadsmith I have now, to me, is much easier than the Motor Trike Adventure I used to own.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have the Roadsmith (two yrs old) on my 2010 Goldwing............I lift up the rear end, (High enough) to shoot a couple shots of grease into the grease zirks, on the drive shaft, twice a season, OR if I know that I'm going to go on a couple thousand mile ride... WARNING : [BE SURE TO USE JACKSTANDS UNDER EACH SHOCK!!!]

Ronnie

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check that drive line for excessive play, those U joints have a way of failing even though there are grease fittings. Better to discover a problem at home than on the road.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Check that drive line for excessive play, those U joints have a way of failing even though there are grease fittings. Better to discover a problem at home than on the road.
Bill,
Thank you for your added wisdom here: How do you check, for excessive play? What am I looking for? and can/should excessive play happen if the trike is ridden smooth and in a relaxed matter?? Never beat on!
Ronnie

·
Registered
618 Posts
Bill,
Thank you for your added wisdom here: How do you check, for excessive play? What am I looking for? and can/should excessive play happen if the trike is ridden smooth and in a relaxed matter?? Never beat on!
Ronnie
Hi Ronnie, mine got a little 'jerky' at low speeds and low gear change, so I ran it up on the ramps and twisted the drive shaft by hand and it did not feel 'quite right'. Since I wasn't sure that was the problem, I took it to Greg and he figured it out rather quickly. So, my thought is, this U joint is under a lot of torque stress, plus in a location where a lot of street gunk and water can penetrate, making it susceptible to degradable failure over time. Just my own private thought, nothing I can totally point to for failure.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Again thanks Bill,
I'm going to crawl under it again this morning, and check it out [I use two jack lifts, to get it off floor] and do some more looking under it...So far I've been quite happy with it, even though I would not trust my installer what's so ever He rips people off big time, so I'm lucky enough, to be handy, to do the bulk, of most easier repairs.....and it's nice to have a garage to work in (with some tools)

Ronnie

·
Registered
618 Posts
Good luck Ronnie, hope you find all is well under there. I checked with RS at a point in time, they were not much concerned with grease applications on the U joints, said 20K miles was fine, not to force feed it and damage the seals. If memory serves, those are permanent seals on the U joints, but my thing was those zerk fittings were on there for a reason, but who knows? Maybe Greg will offer up his thought, he's pretty dang savy about such things.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
My feelings exactly here, BUT if that area, has grease zerks, then I assume, they want grease shot up in there......I do apply grease/one shot before each season, and give it a check before any very long planned trips....Sooooooooooooooooooo far sooooooooooo good............My installer is very dishonest/and I'll never let them touch my bike again....

Now that were talking about this, I'm going to give Roadsmith a call today and just ask them.."how often should grease be applied up in there"
Ronnie

·
Registered
618 Posts
My feelings exactly here, BUT if that area, has grease zerks, then I assume, they want grease shot up in there......I do apply grease/one shot before each season, and give it a check before any very long planned trips....Sooooooooooooooooooo far sooooooooooo good............My installer is very dishonest/and I'll never let them touch my bike again....

Now that were talking about this, I'm going to give Roadsmith a call today and just ask them.."how often should grease be applied up in there"
Ronnie
Good show Ronnie, let us know their response.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Good show Ronnie, let us know their response.
I called (got an answering machine) and left a message (forgot it was on a Sunday that I called) Sooooooooooooo waiting for a call back today..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I called (got an answering machine) and left a message (forgot it was on a Sunday that I called) Sooooooooooooo waiting for a call back today..........

Ronnie
Spoke to Roadsmith today.....(6/4/20)......... To my surprise they said no need to ever add grease (BUT why place two grease jirks there/if grease is not needed (??) (something doesn't sound right)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Spoke to Roadsmith today.....(6/4/20)......... To my surprise they said no need to ever add grease (BUT why place two grease jirks there/if grease is not needed (??) (something doesn't sound right)
While you were talking to them did you ask them Why the grease zerks were there if no grease is needed??? :unsure:

Reactions: spummerr

·
Registered
726 Posts
When assembled, the splined slip-joint is not fully lubed so when I did my conversion I pumped the grease gun until black moly came out the relief hole in the back. Now I give it a couple shots every winter maintenance period. Can't hurt and I suspect it does some good at least. :):)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
When assembled, the splined slip-joint is not fully lubed so when I did my conversion I pumped the grease gun until black moly came out the relief hole in the back. Now I give it a couple shots every winter maintenance period. Can't hurt and I suspect it does some good at least. :):)
I still do the same, I will continue to give it a couple of shots B4 the season starts and maybe B4 I take an extra long ride (or a long trip) Oh yea! and don't forget about that oil and filter.....

Ronnie
Nothing feels better than a well maintained motorcycle (that's running real well) as your cruising down the highway/or some "well paved" curvy backroads ....👍👍

·
Registered
63 Posts

Ronnie

·
Registered
63 Posts
The zerks are to lube the sliders. I use 1 shot of grease ( synthetic ) on each at every 5000 mile oil change. U-joints are sealed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts