GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three of us are taking our annual trip the end of May and this year we are going to Vancouver island. We were going to ride hwy 19 to port hardy however I have read some posts that say that is not the best road. Suggestion appreciated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Stay on 19A, the scenic route, through Parksville and all the way to Campbell River. It's on the ocean's edge with small towns, good food, gas and motels. The last time I was in Port Hardy the road was in good shape. Expect to share the road with logging and transport trucks once past Campbell River. If you have time hiway 28 to Gold River is one the best on the Island. And check out Sointula on Malcolm Island off Port McNeil, a Finnish settlement from 1901. At that time of year, your rain gear will be your friend. If your coming all this way Tofino is well worth the ride. Sounds like a great ride you have planned. Enjoy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree with Vin. Hwy 19A is a great ride. On the way back cut west at Qualicum Beach on Hwy. 4 over to Tofino. Along that route are such sights as Qualicum Falls, Cathedral grove, and a must see is Long Beach. The ride over is one of the most scenic on the island. Enjoy!!

Bradg

·
Registered
924 Posts
Not sure BUT I still think one of the best rides in BC is from Revelstoke to Creston or reverse. You get to take a couple of free ferry's too. highway 23 - 31 - 3A...great trip with ferrys in between

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are planning to spend two days on the island. Looking at the map I think we would be able come off the ferry at Victoria and ride to cambell then 28 to gold river and back to cambell the first night and then back south and take 4 to tofino and then back to Victoria to catch the morning ferry back to port Angeles. Are we biting off to much for two days? Any suggestions for food and lodging. Thanks again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We are planning to spend two days on the island. Looking at the map I think we would be able come off the ferry at Victoria and ride to cambell then 28 to gold river and back to cambell the first night and then back south and take 4 to tofino and then back to Victoria to catch the morning ferry back to port Angeles. Are we biting off to much for two days? Any suggestions for food and lodging. Thanks again.

Victoria to Campbell River on the 4 lane Inland Island Hwy 19 (kinda boring) is 3 hours. If you take the much more scenic Hwy 19a along the ocean & U make stops to enjoy the scenery then plan on about double that time. Gold River Hwy 28 is 1 way in and 1 way out unless you want to take your Wing on gravel logging roads. Campbell to Gold River about 90 minutes or so each way. How long do you want to ride in 1 day?

We usually plan on 3 1/2 hours each way from Campbell River to Tofino.That Hwy is winding & steep & narrow in places. Get caught behind a Winnibago or truck/car towing a trailer or boat (very common) and you could add an hour. If you are planning to do the loop from Victoria to Gold River then out to Tofino & back in a day, that is way too long unless you are into marathons and want to miss the scenery by flying a lot? My suggestion is Victoria to Gold River and then back to Campbell River or even Parksville/Qualicum to overnight. Next day head to Tofino & back to Victoria. You will need a minimum of 2 hours from the Hwy 4 and Hwy 19 junction at Parksville to downtown Victoria to the ferry. Check the Port Angeles ferry schedule carefully and reserve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts