GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven the road up to Pikes Peak Colorado? Just wondering what kind of shape the surface is for a Wing to ride. Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Do it in the summer when the weather is good. It can be 80 degrees at the bottom and about 30 or so on the top. Dirt roads but easy to ride. Beautiful view on the top.

2,732 Posts
Pikes Peak road

I've done it in all kinds of weather from rain to snow flurries with the bike. Even camped overnite half way up during the July 4th hill climb (we had snow on the tent in the morning). But in a little while it will be a piece of cake as they have been ordered to blacktop it to the top because of environmental issues caused by the dust and other things that only environmentalists understand (but they are so much smarter than the rest of us so there must be plenty of good reasons).

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be just my luck that when I get there, that day will be the day they blacktop it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
biker1usa said:
Do it in the summer when the weather is good. It can be 80 degrees at the bottom and about 30 or so on the top. Dirt roads but easy to ride. Beautiful view on the top.
That is what happened to me. I left Oklahoma on a hundred degree July day. The next day on top of Pike's Peak it was around 30 degrees and sleeting. :snow1: Inexperienced me did not have any kind of jacket so I just shivered. The trip was still enjoyable despite the temperature. I plan on doing it on the wing next year.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
i think its something like the last 13 miles that are gravel

fun ride and it was in pretty good shape when we were there in 2004, if theres much traffic the wing will overheat but plenty of safe places to pull over to let it cool off

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Pikes Peak road

Canyon Dancer in Colorado said:
I've done it in all kinds of weather from rain to snow flurries with the bike. Even camped overnite half way up during the July 4th hill climb (we had snow on the tent in the morning). But in a little while it will be a piece of cake as they have been ordered to blacktop it to the top because of environmental issues caused by the dust and other things that only environmentalists understand (but they are so much smarter than the rest of us so there must be plenty of good reasons).
What CD didn't tell you is that all that weather (and more) he's experienced could be on the same trip! Not uncommon to have it all.
RE: paving the road -- there are about 13 miles unpaved and this summer they were able to only pave less than a mile, so won't happen too soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts