GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I are heading out to Tucson Friday the 16th. We will be staying over in Las Vegas Friday night and then heading in to Tucson Saturday. If anyone is heading that way during those days, we would welcome the company on the road. Also, if anyone has points of interest that are worth seeing along the way, especially from our bike, that would be appreciated. We are planning to come back from Tucson the 22nd of May and hopefully make the convention in St. George and meet up with DHeaton and some others. If anyone is coming FROM Tucson on the 22nd heading to Vegas or St. George for the convention, we also would like to ride along with someone. This will be the first trip we take on our bike, so any input from your guys would be great!

·
Registered
208 Posts
1. Bypass Phoenix
2. Bypass Phoenix
3. Bypass PHoneix
Bend out around to the East and go through the mountains. People on the AZ sub-board can tell you what the roads from Prescott->Payson->Globe are like... I haven't been up there in a awhile.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
On your way to Vegas, take Old 91 from St. George to Littlefield, Arizona to avoid the construction on I-15 in Virgin River Gorge. After Mesquite, take a side trip through Valley of Fire State Park and Lake Shore Drive into Henderson and Vegas.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Looking forward to seeing you again Scott. Have a fun trip

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well just got back to Park City Utah after our Tucson Oro Valley trip!! With exactly 2000 miles ridden from last Friday (16th) until today, I can honestly say it has been one of the best experiences the wife and I have had while traveling. This being our first ever road trip on a bike, the Goldwing performed flawless! With the fires in Arizona we stuck to the less scenic route, 10 to 93 to I-15. The suggestion by ZZ to bypass Phoenix was not in the cards. We thought we programmed the NAV to get us around Phoenix, it took us right through the heart of it alk the way up Grand. Not fun at 1 pm on a Saturday. On the return, we made it back in time for the "F" region convention in St. George Utah. Met DHeaton and wife there. Watched some great Goldwing Drill team performance. Installed the Baker hand wings that we purchased from the accessory pit for the rest of the ride home, what a difference for the wife.

Things that we noted that are on the list before our next road trip. Taller windshield, wife wants less wind on her helmet. Communication for helmets, the wife and I's music choices are not the same all the time, and we have yet figured out the universal sign for "TURN THE CHANNEL!", but taping my helmet and pointing at the radio seems to be close to universal as anything else.

All in All it was an amazing first trip on our Wing!! Can't wait for the next one!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
Glad you had a good trip Scott. You should have come to Boulder with me though. It was good to see you both. I would recommend head sets for the rides, they make communicating much better :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts