GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the prep stages for a 9/3 departure from Tucson. The plan includes US 395 from Bishop to Lee Vining and then over Tioga, back on Sonora, over Ebbets with Monitor thrown in, and back on Carson to S Lake Tahoe. Im figuring on running the passes in two day segments with an overnight stay in Topaz. Continuing north to Lassen NP and catching I-5 at Mt Shasta on my way to Medford, Oregon. I would be interested to hear about any road conditions or other issues (fires, closures, etc.) that might effect my plans. Also would like to hear about points of interest along my route. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
526 Posts
Burney Falls in Caifornia is a nice Scenic 10-minute stop for a butt break.

You've chosen some very scenic roads, enjoy and ride safe!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Im in the prep stages for a 9/3 departure from Tucson. The plan includes US 395 from Bishop to Lee Vining and then over Tioga, back on Sonora, over Ebbets with Monitor thrown in, and back on Carson to S Lake Tahoe. Im figuring on running the passes in two day segments with an overnight stay in Topaz. Continuing north to Lassen NP and catching I-5 at Mt Shasta on my way to Medford, Oregon. I would be interested to hear about any road conditions or other issues (fires, closures, etc.) that might effect my plans. Also would like to hear about points of interest along my route. Thanks in advance.

Mike

I'd suggest staying in Benton Hot Springs, at the Inn (https://www.bentonhotsprings.org/); then you can take Take Hwy-120 "Tioga Pass East" all the way from there towards Lee Vining... Note that weather restrictions apply.

When you get to Hwy-120 at Lee Vining, there's basically little to no traffic headed Westbound in the early morning... All the (Tourist) traffic is Eastbound from Yosemite until noonish, afterwhich you can get stuck behind buses and rv's.

I'd add a detour to Cherry Lake, so as to include an Awesome curvey road: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.824661,-120.008561/37.9768045,-119.9210427/38.0387465,-120.2190769/@37.9305915,-120.1692932,11.5z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

+1 for the suggestion about Burney Falls SP

Weather conditions will vary a LOT, from the valleys to the passes... Dress to be prepared for everything (Heat, Cold, Rain, Snow)

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
All excellent suggestions. Here's a list of some sights and roads you might want to include on your "tour':

Hetch Hetchy Reservoir
- O'Shaughnessy Dam
Old Priest Grade
Don Pedro Reservoir
Mark Twain’s Cabin
Calaveras County Fairgrounds, Jumping Frog Contest
Andrea’s Bakery (Amador / Old Rt-49)
Marlene & Glen’s Diner (Plymouth / Rt-49)
Colma/Sutter’s Mill, Marshal Gold Discovery Site (Rt-49)
Forrest Hill Bridge and North Fork American River View (Rt-49)
Lassen Peak National Park (CA-89)

- Lassen Peak Visitors Center
- Sulphur Works
- Bumpass H3LL
- Lassen Peak
- Devastated Area
- Loomis Museum

Burney Falls State Park

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Columbia State Park (above) is a great place to visit and spend an hr. or 2. Don't forget to have a cool sarsaparilla (soft drink) while you're there. :wink2:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of good stuff to pore over, guys. Thanks! Im hitting the road 9/3.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Columbia State Park (above) is a great place to visit and spend an hr. or 2. Don't forget to have a cool sarsaparilla (soft drink) while you're there. :wink2:
Wow, hadn’t seen that word in print ever? Before, sasparilla is really sarsaparilla. Well whadayaknow. I’m getting smarter, look out!!! Sounds tasty too!!!

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Wow, hadn’t seen that word in print ever? Before, sasparilla is really sarsaparilla. Well whadayaknow. I’m getting smarter, look out!!! Sounds tasty too!!!
Yes, I got an education in the correct spelling of sasparilla also and had to do a search to see if sarsaparilla was what I was referring too. Like the saying goes......you're never too old to learn :grin2:

Yes it is tasty!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts