GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife bought me a goldwing awhile back, have 27k mile on it now.We could never get use to it. So i bought us a road glide will pick it up 7/19 in N.C.. The wing rides better than the electra glide but still thought something was missing.Back up to 5 bike now ,at one time we had 9.Wife has said i could keep them all but i need to downsize. I will be riding it back from N.C. on weds. about a 6 hrs ride home. That should tell me if i like the ride. Just had to tell someone.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
not sure I understand your comment about "never get to use it", when you then add another touring bike??

It sounds like your saying you already have an E-Glide, AND picking up a new Road Glide next week? I don't understand the reasoning behind 3 touring bikes?

Regardless, I really like the looks the RG, and especially like the frame mounted fairing as opposed to the Stree Glide, E-Glide, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Had a roadglide, put over 30k on it in a little over a year while managing to own a full time business, wife, kids, dogs......you know the story. I once did 1250 miles within a 24 hour period on it. It is one of the best bikes HD has going for it outside the V-rod. However, it falls way short in the department of powertrain. No longer a fan of air-cooled v-twins for the open road. Curious what your assessment is of the differences in the powertrain department.

·
Registered
354 Posts
cant get use to it

Fred, he uses it but cant get compfortable on it sounds to me like what he ment. Like your location, I get by there every now and then.:lol:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have some comfort issues with my '05 Wing, but I wouldn't get rid of it. I am no longer 25 years old, and the older I get the more comfort issues I have, mostly thanx to my 2 one-year-long all expense vacations in sunny SE Asia, courtesy of Uncle Sam. I just keep adjusting things until they fit and feel better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have some comfort issues with my '05 Wing, but I wouldn't get rid of it. I am no longer 25 years old, and the older I get the more comfort issues I have, mostly thanx to my 2 one-year-long all expense vacations in sunny SE Asia, courtesy of Uncle Sam. I just keep adjusting things until they fit and feel better.
Yep, I hear ya. There's just not a "one size fits all' motorcycle out there.
Instead of making 'em fit, just buy 9 of 'em.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WE change the seat 3 different times,bought gel pads even had a fellow on here to donate a walmart pad. low speeds 0 to 8mph a bear to handle for me. We have a 82 1100 we love that thing. Wife says that she has to lean back to far the backrest on the 1800 She 5'4"and 130# She says she can't get her feet right.Bought kury floorboards with flip ups.We may or may not keep the 1800.PLEASE i'm not downing the 1800 in no way.Maybe were just getting old and nothing will suit us anymore.The people here have been been a good input on me and i can't thank some of you enough.

·
Registered
88 Posts
WE change the seat 3 different times,bought gel pads even had a fellow on here to donate a walmart pad. low speeds 0 to 8mph a bear to handle for me. We have a 82 1100 we love that thing. Wife says that she has to lean back to far the backrest on the 1800 She 5'4"and 130# She says she can't get her feet right.Bought kury floorboards with flip ups.We may or may not keep the 1800.PLEASE i'm not downing the 1800 in no way.Maybe were just getting old and nothing will suit us anymore.The people here have been been a good input on me and i can't thank some of you enough.
Striving for "that" perfect level of comfort has haunted me as well. Although I have made the decision to stick with liquid-cooled, at least 4 cylinders, and a bike that can climb to 130+, I can admit that I was able to get my roadglide to a very high level of comfort........for me only. Could not get even close to that level riding 2 up. The GoldWing didn't do it either. I am 6'4" and my wife is 5'8". We did like the BMW K1200LT. Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
618 Posts
We had a Roadglide.......really liked the bike but the Fairing wind rain sewer shoot comes right up the forks......they have the crash bar flaps now to cut the wind....... You married the right woman......what does a man have to do to get the little lady to approve of 9 bikes....?:bow: bet she doesnt go out in the garage and you havent told her about 7 of them.

My wife is next to me reminding me I had 5 at once and she didnt say aword...I with draw the statement......

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If she isn't comfortable on a stock goldwing, I doubt adding Chinese comfort items will ever be the cure however Harley Roadglide is all Chinese parts. Designed in America, made in China. Well I guess not, designed in America, built in America using Chinese parts is Harley. She's going to be comfortable on a Harley and not a Goldwing? Now this I have to hear about.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have the Ultimate low profile Mid Rider and the backrest gives a better posture for the pax. That and the Kury Transformer boards with risers helps a 4'11" woman. I also have the peg lowering brackets with the wide pegs for myself and they are the best thing that has happened for my comfort. I have no problems with lean angle but I don't spend much time at the Dairy Queen. A 170 pound cracker-butt.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts