GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anybody planning on attending the RoadRunner Touring Weekend?

I will be one of many riders leading guided tours. Its a great time. They do a great job of organizing this. There are no vendors, hot dog carts, or stunt shows. Just a bunch of awesome like minded riders gathering to ride during the day and then eat, drink and socialize in the evening. CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.roadrunner.travel/events/touring-weekend/

https://www.facebook.com/TouringWeekend

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting my first copy of the magazine that I just subscribed too. Looks like a pretty good magazine and the special pricing made it even better.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will really like it. I wish it was a monthly magazine. The quality is second to none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I'm looking forward to getting my first copy of the magazine that I just subscribed too. Looks like a pretty good magazine and the special pricing made it even better.

It looks like a good gathering and wish I could go. The magazine is outstanding overall, and if I win the lottery I'd like to do every 'Shamrock Tour' they've done. My only concern is they give over whelmingly positive reviews of motorcycles, except for some minor issues, so I don't know how unbiased they are. Then again, I guess every motorcycle is pretty fun to ride.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like a good gathering and wish I could go. The magazine is outstanding overall, and if I win the lottery I'd like to do every 'Shamrock Tour' they've done. My only concern is they give over whelmingly positive reviews of motorcycles, except for some minor issues, so I don't know how unbiased they are. Then again, I guess every motorcycle is pretty fun to ride.
I would have to guess that they review bikes on more of its ride, and touring use. Most magazines are out to push the bike to its limits to show its weakness. While that's a great idea, how many riders are really doing that?

I am with you on the Shamrock tours! They always have great touring info. That is why I love the magazine and the folks who run it. Christa and Florian are just awesome people who LOVE to ride ride ride.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I too, enjoy RoadRUNNER mag more than the other 3 I get. I am more interested in ride/trip write-ups than cycle reviews.

This is a very good possible trip for me.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
​Nice to see the kudos for the magazine, I just placed my order for one year.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is anybody planning on attending the RoadRunner Touring Weekend?

I will be one of many riders leading guided tours. Its a great time. They do a great job of organizing this. There are no vendors, hot dog carts, or stunt shows. Just a bunch of awesome like minded riders gathering to ride during the day and then eat, drink and socialize in the evening. CHECK IT OUT!

http://www.roadrunner.travel/events/touring-weekend/

https://www.facebook.com/TouringWeekend
Yes, I've been thinking about it; however, the costs themselves to register for the event are overpriced in my opinion. But their magazine is an absolute "must read" every month and there is nothing else quite like it on the market. I kind of wonder if the pricing is one of the reasons why the attendance (judging by the photos of the rally) is quite low

I may trailer my bike down to the show so my wife (who can't ride anymore) can enjoy the hotel while I ride the tours (that's if I can convince myself to pay the high price to register....). But if the rally is as good as the magazine, it might be worth it....

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Just received my first copy of my new subscription; read this magazine years ago and decided on a whim (and a special price/offer) to give 7 issues a whirl. A timely article on riding the "Little Switzerland" area of Tennesse/North Carolina, which happens to be where I'm heading first week of June on a "get lost on a broke budget" mini-vacation... :thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree the cost seems a bit steep. I thought that the first year my wife and I attended. Once we arrived, enjoyed meeting people, the food, the riding, and seeing the attention to detail we didn't mind the cost. We couldn't wait for the next year.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
C'mon friends anybody else going???

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I Can Only Do Maybe

I really like their Magazine and have been subscribed to it for several years. Also just can't bring myself to throw the old one's away. I like being able to refer back to them for stuff.

I plan on going to Alaska this year and will have only just gotten back when this is scheduled. I'll have to see how my butt feels when the time rolls around. Plus my honey do list will be soooo long, I may still be digging out of that hole from being gone for the Alaska trip.

BUT (no pun intended) they are a fine outfit and I would like to attend. If not this year, then maybe next.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
Just received my first copy of the magazine yesterday and it looks good so far. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Ok, my take... for what it's worth:

I've been a subscriber of the magazine for years. Since I'd finally retired, I attended my first one last year in Maggie Valley... and I'll admit that I had a good time. But that said, it came up short in a few areas for me.

Like others, I wondered about the high cost of the registration fee. I'd been to other rallies & events, and except for Americade, I hadn't paid near the amount they wanted. But I figured I'd give it a go and see what it bought me.

Now I don't want to sound too negative... but let's just say I found little there to justify paying over $100/day to attend.

The good part is that the routes were GREAT... but then again, it's not all that hard to find great roads in the southern Blue Ridge Parkway / Smokey Mountain area.

But other than that... well, there just wasn't anything too remarkable about it to justify the cost. I mean, ok, the catered food for the 2 evening meals under the tent were ok, but nothing I'd have expected to pay more than $25 each. There were 5 or 6 vendors there... but 2 of them were selling trinkets & towels. Of the ones who were actually selling parts & accessories, it was for sport bikes only.

While it's true the routes were made available on maps & GPS download... well, at other rallies, I get both of those for free. As for the 'seminars'... well, all but one were given by RoadRunner staffers, not people brought in. And, they were more like informal discussions helped under the main tent with other noise & distractions all around... instead of seminars with displays held in a quiet meeting room.

Finally.. and maybe I'm being petty, but this is the thing that really got me... they had some really good door prizes which had been donated. Helmets, tires, a GPS unit, etc... and your registration fee got you 5 chances (tickets) to win. Ok, 5 chances to get a decent return on the registration fee. Except that they then began selling off EXTRA tickets, with the money going to a charity. So basically you ended up being able to "buy" you way into "winning" the door prizes... and a few people actually did. Three people "won" more than one prize... with one guy actually "winning" FOUR different door prizes.

Bottom line: yeah, it's a good time... but it's nothing I can't get by attending the Mortons BMW rally, or the Backroads magazine rallies for either a token $10 fee, or even free.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, my take... for what it's worth:

I've been a subscriber of the magazine for years. Since I'd finally retired, I attended my first one last year in Maggie Valley... and I'll admit that I had a good time. But that said, it came up short in a few areas for me.

Like others, I wondered about the high cost of the registration fee. I'd been to other rallies & events, and except for Americade, I hadn't paid near the amount they wanted. But I figured I'd give it a go and see what it bought me.

Now I don't want to sound too negative... but let's just say I found little there to justify paying over $100/day to attend.

The good part is that the routes were GREAT... but then again, it's not all that hard to find great roads in the southern Blue Ridge Parkway / Smokey Mountain area.

But other than that... well, there just wasn't anything too remarkable about it to justify the cost. I mean, ok, the catered food for the 2 evening meals under the tent were ok, but nothing I'd have expected to pay more than $25 each. There were 5 or 6 vendors there... but 2 of them were selling trinkets & towels. Of the ones who were actually selling parts & accessories, it was for sport bikes only.

While it's true the routes were made available on maps & GPS download... well, at other rallies, I get both of those for free. As for the 'seminars'... well, all but one were given by RoadRunner staffers, not people brought in. And, they were more like informal discussions helped under the main tent with other noise & distractions all around... instead of seminars with displays held in a quiet meeting room.

Finally.. and maybe I'm being petty, but this is the thing that really got me... they had some really good door prizes which had been donated. Helmets, tires, a GPS unit, etc... and your registration fee got you 5 chances (tickets) to win. Ok, 5 chances to get a decent return on the registration fee. Except that they then began selling off EXTRA tickets, with the money going to a charity. So basically you ended up being able to "buy" you way into "winning" the door prizes... and a few people actually did. Three people "won" more than one prize... with one guy actually "winning" FOUR different door prizes.

Bottom line: yeah, it's a good time... but it's nothing I can't get by attending the Mortons BMW rally, or the Backroads magazine rallies for either a token $10 fee, or even free.
Thanks for your input... I will be sure an forward the info the Magazine Owners. For what its worth. There are A LOT more costs than just food that is provided. This years event will be held in doors.

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
702 Posts

Thank you for the first hand account. When you add up the registration fees and the hotel room rate (where I'm used to being hosed on a regular basis), the weekend comes to over $500 total.

Sorry, too rich for my blood....

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
There are A LOT more costs than just food that is provided. This years event will be held in doors.
Greg...

I understand there are always hidden costs... but I guess that's what I mean. I couldn't see where they were last year.

I mean... we all rented out own hotel rooms, so they didn't take care of lodging (nor did I expect them to).

By what I saw... they possibly had to pay for the use of the fairground. Although considering the money we brought to the area, the town should have provided that for free. So that leaves renting the tent, plus the cost of labor to erect & take it down. Also for trash collection & clean-up of the site. Add 2 catered meals, and some liability insurance for the affair... and that's about it. Oh, and I forgot... we each got a T-shirt, which they undoubtably had made up at a bulk price.

A couple of friends & I were talking at the event... and one of them who owns a motorcycle dealership said something interesting. He said...

"It's almost as if the registration fee is to pay for the cost of the RoadRunner staff to attend... for their hotel, meal, and overtime cost... instead of the magazine absorbing the cost of sponsoring its own event."

And looking back.. that's about the only place I can see where the registration fees went.

Don't get me wrong... like I said, I had fun. And anyone who goes to the event at Snowshoe... which is a GREAT place... should also have lots of fun. But in comparison to other rallies in the country, I'm pretty sure theirs is the 2nd most expensive there is, right behind Americade... which puts on a much bigger show for the price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Roadrunner weekend

Every year I consider the event........for about 10 seconds. I couldn't enjoy the weekend/rides because I would be thinking what kind of fool am I for paying so much for so little.
Al

·
Registered
268 Posts
C'mon friends anybody else going???

Once we figure out what our kids ( 3 teenagers ) plans are this summer. We will know our plans. We're hoping to go.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts