GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were 100+ miles from the nearest Honda dealer and had a flat tire in a smalll town with no available assistance and the 100+ miles was desert with no reliable cell service.... and the HRCA tow service arrives with a trailer that requires securing your GL1800 in a manner contrary to the instructions that you have seen and have in your possession... do you load the bike and hope for the best or refuse the service, plug the tire and take off across the desert?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If I had a plug kit and some way to air up the tire I wouldn't have even bothered calling for assistance. I would have plugged it and been on my way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Been there, flat in the middle of nowhere that is. I carry a small compressor I got from Auto Zone and a plug kit. It fits into the CD/CB compartment. Plugged tire to get back home and then patched it for a permanant fix.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm assuming you are asking from experience.

If you have a tow service (tow-busters, HRCA...) that services motorcycles, they are supposed to only contract with people who can properly handle a motorcycle.

I guess it speaks well of the GoldWing that most tow drivers don't know the proper way to tie down a wing. But I've never met one that wouldn't tie it down under your direction.

The proper tie-down instructions are in the back of the goldbook that I keep on the bike, and if the drivers can see it in print, they are more likely to trust it.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Dragonryder said:
Been there, flat in the middle of nowhere that is. I carry a small compressor I got from Auto Zone and a plug kit. It fits into the CD/CB compartment. Plugged tire to get back home and then patched it for a permanant fix.
..What he says!!! I carry mine in rear corner of right bag but same idea...chuck

·
Registered
19,069 Posts
Plug and play here too

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have Honda Riders Club AND Progressive Insurance, which provides towing to the nearest "Qualified Honda Facility". I would plug it. I use Ride On, and I've never had a flat (yet).

For sure, carry a patch kit and a compressor, and if that don't work, THEN call HRCA.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Postman said:
... securing your GL1800 in a manner contrary to the instructions that you have seen and have in your possession...
I am not sure what that means. Are the instructions in the GWRRA Gold Book delivered down upon the broken down and decrepid by the voice of God or something?
:?

Yes, I would have plugged the tire and continued on my way before calling a towing service, but since you called, I would have listened to the driver and worked with him to secure my Wing. You did mention that they brought a trailer, so that is a good thing. You did call and the driver is just trying to help you out and make a living. Did you suggest an alternative to his plan and he said no? Was there really no safe way to secure the Wing to the trailer? Just asking because I think there should have been an alternative to telling the driver to buzz off...or am I reading this wrong?

If after calling for service, you plug the tire and you do not make it to the nearest bike shop where you can get it fixed, will your towing service respond to your second call for the same problem? I bet not. Then your goose is really cooked!
:shock:

My advice (for future incidents like this):
1. Plug and try to make it to a M/C repair shop on your own
2. If you don't make it, call your towing service
3. When the towing service responder arrives, talk to them to see if you can get a setup that makes you both happy.
4. If you can't get to an agreement, call up the provider and tell them the situation and ask what alternatives you have BEFORE the responder leaves.

I appologize in advance if I offended anyone with this post.
8)

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Mark Rowell said:
Postman said:
... securing your GL1800 in a manner contrary to the instructions that you have seen and have in your possession...
I am not sure what that means. Are the instructions in the GWRRA Gold Book delivered down upon the broken down and decrepid by the voice of God or something?
:?
Although not delivered by the "Voice of God" the instructions in the GoldBook provide the recommended tie-down points from the manufacturer.

The obvious first place that a tow-truck driver would go to tie down the bike are the engine guards, the handlebars, and the passenger seat handles.

The appropriate place to tie it down is through the frame, under the plastic side covers on the sides and around the fork clamp (probably not the right term - but you know what I mean) in the front.

What concerns me is you taking this chance to slam the GWRRA (or did I mis-read your intent). By providing the tie-down instructions in the GoldBook, they have done a service for GW owners.

Oh well, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I bought the string type plug stuff & compressor from Wal Mart.. last 2 vacations I have sucessfully repaired tires and was on the way within
20 minutes... rode the plug for the rest of the trip... (by the way it was not my tire.. just a riding buddy that we repaired both times)

The side of the road can be a very unsafe place... the quicker I get back on the road again... the better i feel...

cosmic

·
Registered
499 Posts
Plug and "play". :lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
n9frp said:
I have Honda Riders Club AND Progressive Insurance, which provides towing to the nearest "Qualified Honda Facility". I would plug it. I use Ride On, and I've never had a flat (yet).

For sure, carry a patch kit and a compressor, and if that don't work, THEN call HRCA.
Ditto!

A

·
0 Posts
For me, I had much rather fix the problem myself, than wait around for who knows how long for a towing company to show up and maybe have no idea of how to tie down a Wing.

I carry a plug kit and compressor. I would do my best to plug the tire, and be on my way in 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've helped 3 bikers so far with flats waiting for assistance, all 3 were on Sunday & they have been waiting for a long time. I carry a cheap Walmart plug kit & small comp. Save the roadside assistance for any big problem but take care of yourself when you can.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I also bought a plug kit,rubber cement and a compressor from Wally World.....it is all in my left rear luggage compartment( saddle bag)...I have it for emergencies ( flat tire in the middle of___ ____ Egypt )...and I would plug and play before I wait for a tow truck....

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you can, then plug it and ride. If not, then know how to tie the bike down yourself and see that it is done properly. Don't let someone without motorcycle expertise mess up a simple thing like strapping down a wing. Take Care, George

1 - 20 of 26 Posts