GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone of you had towing services done by hrca or progressive insurance towing service.I have both but never had to use either,just wondering which one might be better?

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Only one experience with HRCA. Very positive.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
used HRCA when the alternator went out, they had to pick up the bike, very good dealing with HRCA, had me back on the road the next morning

used it again in Texas, wiring problem, no tow required but very good service

a friend of mine used it last summer when we were in Colorado, towed the bike in and again very good service

one important thing to keep in mind is if the problem is covered by warranty and the repair takes overnite or longer HRCA will pay for room and board

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've used HRCA when I had a blowout on my Valkyrie...great service.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have both but have never used either....yet.

I DID call both and confirmed that they will take you and your bike to the "Nearest Qualified Shop". I asked if any Harley, Yamaha dealer or BillyBob small engine/cycle and Toaster repair shop fit that catagory and was promised that a "Honda" Cycle shop was the qualifier.

I asked them if the mileage made a difference, even if it was 200 miles away, and again, they said they would tow it to that location.
I called twice and spoke with different reps.....same answers.

I'm satisfied with those answers.........so far.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
It's doubtful Progressive's coverage is going to match all of the advantages that you can have with the HRCA plan, but I too have two towing packages to access if circumstances lean more in the direction of better coverage from one than the other. In the case of the HRCA plan you get "unlimited" mileage to the nearest Honda Dealer or authorized Honda repair facility. Most plans have a mileage limitation (I don't know about Progressive's, but it would be easy to check). Few if any plans also provide a per diem coverage for pre approved travel expenses in the event of a breakdown. I just had a good friend that used his HRCA plan on a trip and he got his motel room and meals covered while parts were being ordered and installed on a warranty issue that occurred away from home.

All that and HRCA reimburses you up to $75. annually for any MSF (ERC) classes you successfully pass. I always say the HRCA plan is a no - brainer for $39. annual fees (after the first free year provided by Honda on a new purchased Honda motorcycle) and it would be foolish to not have that kind of plan if you ever need it.

Keep the Progressive Plan too and use whichever one will give you the best and most comprehensive coverage for the particular breakdown.

DaleC

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
THE HRCA is a very good plan if you only want it for your Goldwing.

I wanted a single plan to cover my GL1800, FJR1300, and my cars @ a reasonable $$ + no limits on towing distance since I ride a lot in remote areas.

Any how, I switched to KOA's plan @ ~ $75 a year and it covers all above. I have used it once for FJR1300 (82 mile tow for a rear flat tire) and once to unlock Sandi's Miata.

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Shane is there a limit to the amount of times that you can use it any any given years plan?

I currently have AAA but their limit is 5 times a year. 125 mile limit maximum.

If KOA is better, I want to switch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Wingman57,

I believe it is unlimited use (I guess I need to read the small print).

The best things I like is no towing distance ... my FJR1300 was towed 82 miles! If I had been in Big Bend, it would have been 200+ miles!

KOA is actually ALLSTATE and for $75, I haven't missed AAA + HCRA!

Best Regards,

Shane

·
Registered
125 Posts
HRCA came through for me on this one. They took the bike to my home instead of a dealer because it was closer. Helped me to take it apart to put the parts on the new Wing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts