GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, while on I-70 between Kansas City and Nashville, I had a flat rear tire and had to have my bike towed on a flatbed to the nearest Honda dealer. Since then, I have let my HRCA membership expire.

With a couple of long road trips planned for this year, I started looking back into roadside coverage, and quickly found that flatbed towing is not covered on many plans.

For example, the AAA Plus coverage we have on our cars doesn't cover motorcycles. Even if you upgrade to their RV coverage, flat tire towing is still not covered.

Did a quick check last night on BP Motor Club and AMA Roadside Assistance, and both plans appear to have limited or no flatbed towing coverage.

Which leads me to my point: Last night I signed up for the Honda Roadside Assistance through Hal, at $120 for 5 years, or just $2.00 a month. Then I got to thinking about advice my Dad gave me many years ago, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

While I still have time to change my mind on this, could I please get some shared experience from others who have more knowledge of the best roadside assistance plans that will cover towing to the nearest Honda dealer, on a flatbed, if you have a flat tire?

Many thanks!

Jim in Franklin, TN

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use Allstate RV roadhelp. Have been well pleased with there service. Last July on a western road trip on my FJR my ignition switch went out. I called the 1-800 number and they dispatched a flatbed to my location and towed my bike to the Yamaha dealer in Pueblo,Co. My wife has also used them to change out a flat tire on her car. Check them out at www.allstatemotorclub.com Also you get a KOA membership with the service.

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
I just signed up for the AMA coverage. The 35 mile coverage was not a problem for me. I understand I will be reaching for my wallet. But having someone to call, any place any time was worth the 35 bucks. There is other plans out there and I may change later. Also I like supporting an organization that has and always will fight for motorcycle riders.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am not a member but here is something intersting that I found...

Quick and Exceptional
  • Emergency Roadside Assistance for you and your family. 24/7.
  • Driving a car, van, SUV, pick-up, motorcycle, or motorhome? You and your spouse are eligible for benefits in any non-commercial vehicle, whether you own, lease, rent or borrow it. We even cover your ATVs, trailer and other recreational vehicles.

At: http://www.koa.com/rvroadhelp/

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I use rescue + thru GWRRA - It also has a 35 mile limit but for $25 a year it covers everyone in my household -in any non commerical vechical and also covers my MC trailer when attached to the Wing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm covered by my insurance company (Progressive). I would have to look, but I think it adds $10 a year to the policy price for both my bikes.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I belong to GWRRA and basic roadside for the motorcycle is included in your membership dues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For example, the AAA Plus coverage we have on our cars doesn't cover motorcycles. Even if you upgrade to their RV coverage, flat tire towing is still not covered.

While I still have time to change my mind on this, could I please get some shared experience from others who have more knowledge of the best roadside assistance plans that will cover towing to the nearest Honda dealer, on a flatbed, if you have a flat tire?

Many thanks!

Jim in Franklin, TN
Jim,

I upgraded my coverage with AAA to the Recreational Vehicle coverage 2 years ago and they DO cover towing a motorcycle on a flatbed if you have a flat tire. Didn't cost a dime out of pocket for the tow to my local dealership. :thumbup:

I think somebody told you wrong.....

Best regards,
Mike

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
A couple of years ago, while on I-70 between Kansas City and Nashville, I had a flat rear tire and had to have my bike towed on a flatbed to the nearest Honda dealer. Since then, I have let my HRCA membership expire.

With a couple of long road trips planned for this year, I started looking back into roadside coverage, and quickly found that flatbed towing is not covered on many plans.

Did a quick check last night on BP Motor Club and AMA Roadside Assistance, and both plans appear to have limited or no flatbed towing coverage.

Which leads me to my point: Last night I signed up for the Honda Roadside Assistance through Hal, at $120 for 5 years, or just $2.00 a month. Then I got to thinking about advice my Dad gave me many years ago, "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is."

Many thanks!

Jim in Franklin, TN
No offense, but else would you tow a motorcycle if not on a flatbed or rollback???? Not going to hook to it..

Just didn't understand your question....flat tire, electrical etc...wouldn't matter....maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm covered by my insurance company (Progressive). I would have to look, but I think it adds $10 a year to the policy price for both my bikes.
Yup, you are correct. Only $10 bucks a year with Progressive. A real bargain in my book.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Yup, you are correct. Only $10 bucks a year with Progressive. A real bargain in my book.
bargain, maybe?

what does it cover??

i shopped bike insurance last spring and found the --so called-- tow coverages were almost useless

either a very low mile limit, or a reimbursment for like $75, or less

see how far $75 goes hauling your bike in.......

·
Registered
50 Posts
Aaa

AAA is indeed motorcycle capable. Was getting ready for ride & felt a 'suggishness' in the rear tire while backing it out of the garage. AAA sent a flatbed and a fellow skilled in motorcycle transport.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the post. Found I was not covered, and thought I was.

Tidbits:

- Honda dealer told me honda club was getting out of that (will only be offered with extended warranties though Zurich)

- Farmers Insurance will stop all their motorcylce policies soon, and will farm all of them out to Foremost, whereas presently, they only farm some policies out to Foremost

- Foremost told me they would add a roadside plan to a two motorcycle policy for 8 dollars a month (but their quote was very high). They acted unsure when asked about a tow in via a flat bed for a flat tire, but said it "should" be covered

- Looks like I gotta go insurance shopping for the wing and two dirt bikes

- Any recomendations?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
- Foremost told me they would add a roadside plan to a two motorcycle policy for 8 dollars a month (but their quote was very high). They acted unsure when asked about a tow in via a flat bed for a flat tire, but said it "should" be covered

- Looks like I gotta go insurance shopping for the wing and two dirt bikes

- Any recomendations?
I have Foremost and had to use the towing coverage. It was about 2 1/2 yrs ago, but the flatbed was covered at that time. I also belong to GWRRA and for the $45/yr membership, your also get standard towing service (which will cover flatbed trucks).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Roadside assistance...

We used our CAA (Canadian version of AAA) Premier coverage for a "tow" on a trailer and had some down time expenses covered while waiting repairs. It appears that CAA and AAA plans may vary by province or state, they are not all the same, so check the details carefully.
dkc

·
Registered
171 Posts
Motorcycle Riders Association

I found this organization on the Net in October. For $45 per year, they have membership including free towing up to 35 miles with discounts for longer. Five tows per year and I believe(not positive) up to 2 tows in 72 hours. Average pickup time in 07 was 32 minutes. They are riders working for riders in Lakeland, Florida. They have many other perks with the membership such as: discount drug program, discount car rental, trip planning, motorcycle gathering affiliations, and you can shop for insurance with them also...they aren't tied to only one insurance company. I haven't had to use any of their services yet, but I did save some money by changing to them. They are very friendly and eager to help and prompt. And did I mention THEY ARE NOT PUSHY? They specialize in custom bikes. Phone #1-866-333-1829.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts