GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering what the biggest roadside repair you have done while away on a trip? i lost coms and music going through spain rode 300 miles in silence stripped when we got to hotel traced to audio lead (seat off, top shelter off, wiring loom opened up in car park)all while 2500 miles away from home.:?:shock::shrug:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the valkyrie handle bar clamp loosened up

one of the bolts fell out the bottom

we got it to a napa auto parts

estimated the size of the bolt and one of the guys let me borrow a socket

thats the biggest problem i have ever had

color me lucky

·
Registered
792 Posts
Needed to repair a spark plug once, but couldn't find it, blew out of the head and took the treads with it. Pushed that home and horse traded a old junk tranny for a junk head and we were both happy because we got the best of the other guy. Ahhhh the wonderful years as a teenager.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
On a trip to Canada from Ky. last Aug. I had to replace the right front brake pads at the motel. I was extremely lucky as there was a Honda dealer two doors up from the motel and they had the pads in stock.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
On other bikes I have had a few issues.

On the 1800 I did have the low fuel light come on a few times. Usually after 200 miles though.:cool:

·
Registered
833 Posts
I pulled the rear end apart on my 1200 in a campground once. Had a tick in rear end that was affected by torque. Turned out the drive splines needed some grease. It was at a rally and became a major attraction as no one had ever seen that before.

·
Registered
393 Posts
changed a rear flat tire using a spare hauled in the trailer. Took about 15 minutes. Found a nice sandy spot, laid a blanket down, laid bike atop balnket. :cool:

·
Love The DCT
12,693 Posts
Wasn't quite a road side repair but close. Had an exhaust valve stick, #3 cylinder on a 75 900 Z-1. Happened on the last mile of a trip from MN to CA. Was able to limp it in to my uncle's garage. Did all the work myself with the exception of installing the new valve guide and valve.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My wife , Ellen , and I were in the middle of nowhere on Vancover Island B.C. when the tongue on our Quik-Kamp trailer broke.We were able to unbolt the tongue from the trailer , Ellen held it in her lap.(Mind you , this is a piece of steel almost 6 feet long) and we rode to a nearby (50 miles) fishing village where we found a Marine repair shop.They were able to repair it for us while we found lunch.Got a couple of sandwiches and went to a nearby Municipal Park...There were signs in the parking lot Warning of recent Bear sightings..we laughed until we saw about 20 feet away...in the middle of the sidewalk...a big pile of steaming Bear *****...time to go...
We went back to the shop and waited for the repair to be finished.loaded our newly repaired trailer tongue..and headed back to our disabled trailer 50 miles away.Bolted on the tongue and away we went...Couldn't have done it without Ellen.....
:thumbup:

·
Registered
21,329 Posts
in the 70's three of us went for a ride, my Yamaha 2 stroke quit running because the charging system failed, not sure what happened to the Ducati but it also quit running, we had some rope along so we tied the Yamaha and Ducati behind the Suzuki and managed to ride home about 25 miles, the good old days :yes1:

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Back in '76 I seized the motor on my Water Buffalo Suzuki 750 in the Central Valley of CA. It was my fault.

I've had several flats (I used to patch my own tubes in the old days) on the road.

I broke a throttle cable in South Korea, on my '81 GL1100. I swapped the broken pull cable for the push cable. There was not a "round-eye" within 100 miles, I'll bet.

I've filed points and set timing plenty of times on my old triples while on the road.

I busted a master link clip once and held the side-plate on with Liquid Steel for several hundred miles.

I spun the teeth off of a rear sprocket 500 miles from home. I tightened the chain so that it was acting like a fan belt and limped home. That was a 950 mile day.

And SWMBO wonders sometimes why I'm so anal about maintenance!

Yep, I sure do appreciate the modern bikes.

·
Premium Member
19,853 Posts
On the current ride, had the emergency flashers stick once. Pushed the button hard 6 times for repair and also had the cable on the left saddle bag come loose. Took 15 minutes to repair. What a lemon I should have sold the bike but I did not.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Worst repair - long.

Last year we were taking a trip with some friends to Upper peninsula of Michigan. Don't know how many have been up there but you can ride for miles and miles and not see a city. It was shortly after we went past a thermometer looking thing that had the total snow fall for last year. It stood at 34 feet, with the highest one time snow fall of 11 feet. It was disheartening. We looked at our gas gauges and they both had the reserve on. Looking around we couldn't see a gas station, fast food place or hotel anywhere. But we decided to push on to find gas. That's when it happened - noticed I couldn't see out of the windscreen - IT WAS COVERED WITH SOME KIND OF SUICIDE BUG! They literally covered the windshield and me with no cleaner. So I had to pull off next to a clear babbling brook and work on that shield for an hour in the shade, cooling in the brook and sucking down a cold one while I FIXED that sucker! Man that's the worst I've ever been broke down!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The alternator died on my 1500 in Canada no one had one and the price was stupid high.
Went to a Walmart and got a Battery pack wired it in pulled every fuse but the brake lights and made it 1200 miles to home.
Funny part is the SO with no clue to mantenance is the one that had the idea.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.