GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past many months have been pretty brutal trying to find an RTE destination spot. Something we've been doing here in Rim Country is packing a small cooler with ice, beverages, chicken, potato or macaroni salad, etc, then looking for a quiet roadside table to enjoy the moment together.

We started out in the bottom of the Salt River Canyon at the overlook, which was a pretty fun little ride.

Since then we've added destinations along the Mogollon Rim, Clints Well and Lake Mary.

We're finding that these little two-wheeled pic-a-nic RTE's are more enjoyable than sitting in a restaurant somewhere.

But, on Tuesday, we've opted to hit up Rest UR Rump in St Johns instead of another roadside table. On the negative side, we'll be returning via Hwy 260 and Greer where the high temp of the day won't break out of the 70's...

Regardless, just thought we'd share a different kind of RTE in this trying times of locating somewhere to eat. We all know of great little hideaways with a picnic table under the mighty arms of tree canopies which oftentimes greet us with grand vistas. One such spot is near the Ranger station as one pulls into Big Lake, left side of the road. Tall, stately Aspen groves cover several picnic tables in MUCH cooler temps!

Just thought you guys and gals would like someplace to go other than the ovens of Arizona. The pic below is pretty much what started this style of RTE for me, taken somewhere in Wisconsin in 2010 following a knee replacement. I kept seeing Roadside Table signage during my trip and all subsequent trips across this country, and it got me thinking...

Happy Trails!

- David

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Are you guys talking about Shingle Creek rest area? It's about 30 miles north of Kanab near Glendale.

Reactions: kwthom

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you guys talking about Shingle Creek rest area? It's about 30 miles north of Kanab near Glendale.
Pooch, why yes it is! I never knew the name, so I had to look it up on Google Earth. Gorgeous area and love that canyon!

BTW, I FINALLY picked up the Bison Burger from Big Al's on our return trip to Logan. It was pretty good but that raspberry shake dwarfed the sandwich in taste! I've already began researching a trip north on Hwy 89 with a stop at Big Al's once again...

- David

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Yeah, what David said! :LOL:

For a bit of time, we had friends that lived in the SLC area (they've moved...)

Even not being a member of that denomination, the history all along that road was pretty neat to see.

Of course, the 'big fun' on that trip was the first ride along US-550!

Anyway, that pic of David's sure did remind me of that place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts