GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After transfer, I put about 4.25 gallons in my aux tank. I have added about 12" to my vent tube with a loop in it but I'll still get a "gas smell" if I turn a corner a little fast before I transfer again. I have been transfering a gallon after 50 miles to drop it down out of the neck of the tank. What are you guys doing with aux tank on Roadsmith?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Aux tank vent hose re-routing

Your aux tank vent hose probably needs to be connected to the Honda tank vent hose. Go to this page: http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/HT1800 and download the installation instructions. In section #56, the instructions are given for connecting the vent hose to the Honda tank, plus a picture. A Roadsmith installer/dealer should be able to do the updated routing if you're not comfortable dealing with the body work.

It fixed the gas odor problem on mine. :yes1:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You want it to be able to vent on suction and also have an escape if over pressured so a one way check valve may not be the safest.

Not a Roadsmith but for my Hannigan I installed a charcoal canister from one of my Ducati's on the vent line. It has a valve in it that provides almost zero restriction on suction but a few pounds on pressure. When it does vent on pressure it vents into the charcoal cannister and sucks all the fumes back in on suction. Was much easier than running the line up front to the stock vent. I have zero gas smell in the bikes house on hot days now or on the road. I also feel better about not having a direct open line to outside air given E10's tendency to absorb water from the air. You can find takeoff cannisters at just about any shop that does performance work. It's usually the first item to get tossed.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Gas Cap

I have a Roadsmith that leaked when I took right hand turns.I went to a marina and bought a stainless steal fill for a boat.Bolt hole and fill tube line up.It looks nicer than stock and seals tight.:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts