GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently when I opened my Roadsmith trunk the left part was hanging loose - the hinge pin (a rollpin) had fallen out. I replaced it with a long finishing nail, bending both ends with pliers and sent an email to Roadsmith.

Within an hour I received a replay that they were sending me a new hinge. Great service from Roadsmith.

A week later same thing happened with the hinge on the right side.

Question: Does anyone have an idea for a replacement pin that won't rust or fall out?

·
Registered
889 Posts
That's interesting, Poth. I'll hafta take a look at mine and see what they look like. Wouldn't venture a guess without actually seeing them. So far, mine haven't given a problem, but I'm glad to know there is a possibility.

·
Registered
135 Posts
missing hinge pins

Strange that you mention this. I was between Manassas, Va and Watetown, NY when mine came up missing. I put a couple of small zip ties thru it until I got back home and contacted the installer. (We had the unit less than a week when the hinge let go) Got a replacement hinge PDQ. Still have the bad one with the zip ties in it. The other one on the trike looks ok. Installer said they're a corner hardware store item. Haven't really looked. I'll take his word for it. I do like the simplicity of the trunk lid.

Wonder if you got a decent spanner tool to adjust the shocks? I got some stamped out thing that didn't fit which looked like a toy. Got a real one from Progressive who made the coil over shocks.

I've got an aux fuel tank which I really like. Had a problem with the vent hose "T" breaking causing fuel to spew all over the place. Fixed that myself.

Overall we're pleased with the unit.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Same thing happened with my Road Smith kit. I found some roll pins at a Tracdtor Supply store. Bought several, but never had to replace them once I installed the new ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts